Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2005
15434 posts
106867 upvotes
Richmond Hill

[Metro] Friday Night Sushi Special

Metro is now offering a Friday night sushi special:

$6.99 for 18 pieces of maki.

Has anyone tried their sushi? I know supermarket sushi generally isn't great, but does the price point make it acceptable?
14 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 24, 2005
9454 posts
977 upvotes
N/A
ronin1701 wrote:
Nov 30th, 2011 1:33 pm

Has anyone tried their sushi? I know supermarket sushi generally isn't great, but does the price point make it acceptable?

one of the things that i cannot stand is refridgerated rice. the texture of cold hard grains ruins any rice dish.

i say ok deal, only if you can get it before it hits cold storage.
“Children see magic because they look for it.”
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2011
2240 posts
56 upvotes
Toronto
Metro Friday Night Sushi special are not that great.
Deal Addict
Mar 19, 2007
1277 posts
50 upvotes
ippon wrote:
Nov 30th, 2011 7:42 pm
one of the things that i cannot stand is refridgerated rice. the texture of cold hard grains ruins any rice dish.

I agree - whenever I buy sushi at a food court or one of those "express" shops you find in shopping centres, the cold rice ruins the taste. The fish is fine (maybe just get sashimi if it's available) but the rice makes the whole thing taste awful.
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2006
8965 posts
551 upvotes
ronin1701 wrote:

Without even looking, I bet there are at least 6 rolls with no meat and 6 with the fake crab... the last 6 will either be slivers of raw fish or some sort of tuna salad mix. Probably not even $1 of meat in there.
ippon wrote:
Nov 30th, 2011 7:42 pm

So... 5am when they get delivered to the store?

I just don't get why people buy this stuff. It's poor quality and a lot more expensive than it should be. When Sushi-Q in the Eaton Centre was just a kiosk, I'd see people line up a mile for it. I also used to see the coolers of the pre-packaged sushi that was dropped off in the mornings before work.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 24, 2005
9454 posts
977 upvotes
N/A
joeyjoejoe wrote:
Dec 1st, 2011 10:14 am
Without even looking, I bet there are at least 6 rolls with no meat and 6 with the fake crab... the last 6 will either be slivers of raw fish or some sort of tuna salad mix. Probably not even $1 of meat in there.

So... 5am when they get delivered to the store?

I just don't get why people buy this stuff. It's poor quality and a lot more expensive than it should be. When Sushi-Q in the Eaton Centre was just a kiosk, I'd see people line up a mile for it. I also used to see the coolers of the pre-packaged sushi that was dropped off in the mornings before work.
i'm pretty sure it's made onsite, since i've seen them make it many times. but they really 'butcher' the rice. they aren't gentle with it, so the 'chef' crushes the rice grains and don't wrap the ingredients tightly. but, i probably have different standards on this than most people, because i make, ahem, great sushi. i could turn pro with a bit more practice.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 3, 2006
9608 posts
435 upvotes
North America
ippon wrote:
Dec 1st, 2011 10:51 am
i'm pretty sure it's made onsite, since i've seen them make it many times. but they really 'butcher' the rice. they aren't gentle with it, so the 'chef' crushes the rice grains and don't wrap the ingredients tightly. but, i probably have different standards on this than most people, because i make, ahem, great sushi. i could turn pro with a bit more practice.

Who cooks at home? You or your wife? :confused:
Apr 16, 2011
468 posts
12 upvotes
ronin1701 wrote:

why don't you head down to the Japanese Town near don valley toyota

they have 40 to 50% off around beginning of 7pm for sushi
Deal Fanatic
Sep 24, 2005
9454 posts
977 upvotes
N/A
Aznsilvrboy wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2011 1:35 am
Who cooks at home? You or your wife? :confused:

always me. don't have much of a choice because i like to enjoy what i eat.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2007
3415 posts
154 upvotes
GTA
ronin1701 wrote:

Never had the Metro sushi, I used to buy Loblaw through an in store vendor sushi. Really it wasn't good at all, very similar to T & T's, unfortunately sushi has to be made fresh for optimum taste. As others have noted the rice becomes to hard.

I would check into ordering take out from a real sushi restaurant if you are looking for quality, I know Hockey Sushi has a 42 piece special for $24 which includes sashimi, sushi and rolls. Much better option IMO. If you order over $25 it's free delivery also.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2005
15434 posts
106867 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I finally stopped by a Metro on a Friday night (I usually go grocery shopping on the weekend). Looked at it, and didn't even bother.
joeyjoejoe wrote:
Dec 1st, 2011 10:14 am

Even worse - 6 of them were some sort of vegetable (shaved carrot?) roll, and the other 12 were the fake crab, but not even the solid strips of fake crab, the were the "fake crab salad". Blech.
wolverine07 wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2011 8:10 am
Never had the Metro sushi, I used to buy Loblaw through an in store vendor sushi. Really it wasn't good at all, very similar to T & T's, unfortunately sushi has to be made fresh for optimum taste. As others have noted the rice becomes to hard.

I would check into ordering take out from a real sushi restaurant if you are looking for quality, I know Hockey Sushi has a 42 piece special for $24 which includes sashimi, sushi and rolls. Much better option IMO. If you order over $25 it's free delivery also.
I don't mind the Loblaws or T&T sushi. It's not super, but it's decent if you can get it reasonably fresh at one of the locations that makes it on-site.

The absolute worst supermarket sushi I've ever had was some stuff I picked up at Tesco (it's a UK supermarket chain) because I was hungry and everything else was closed - they had maki made out of canned tuna - double blech.

Is Hockey sushi the place up near Bathurst and Centre?
Iv ta'be' Hev SoH, ghobe' Qoy lIj mu'mey, as SoH jaH pa' vo' vetlh tuq joq vetlh veng, shake lItha' the dust vo' lIj qamDu' (translation from the original Klingon: And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear your words, when ye depart out of that house or city, shake off the dust of your feet)
Deal Fanatic
Feb 20, 2006
7433 posts
315 upvotes
Canada
ippon wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2011 7:49 am
always me. don't have much of a choice because i like to enjoy what i eat.

:lol:

Sigh, that's gonna be me soon. My Korean to-be wife is trying to learn how to cook from her mom, but that isn't going as fast as I want it to.
Unfortunately, I don't think I'll have a lot of time to cook, and she enjoys being vegetarian/vegan sometimes, so...I think I'm gonna be losing a lot of weight soon :lol: Sigh, gotta load up on tasty meat before tying the knot, lol
He died for me, I live for him.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2007
3382 posts
134 upvotes
The Metro special is as lame as the Longo's one. The Metro one is just cucumber rolls & and a few ones with imitation crab; the Longo's one isn't much different. No fish or anything to be found.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 1, 2006
9099 posts
214 upvotes
I expect it to be similar to the Longo's one they offer on Tuesday nights. But I have no use for mediocre sushi on a Friday, only on Tuesdays. :D I sometimes pick up the Tues special, as wife and I both do heavy workouts that eve, and need a light meal beforehand. The Longo's one is 20 pieces, we split it, and then have a healthy snack around 9.

If you get this (or any sushi, really), drink a lot of water, there is crazy sodium in the soy.
× < >