Food & Drink

Metro - High prices and poor service. Is this a winning strategy?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 24th, 2019 11:36 am
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2005
10041 posts
2667 upvotes

Metro - High prices and poor service. Is this a winning strategy?

Last few times I have been to Metro these are my observations. As you know - Metro has some of the highest prices of any grocery store in Canada.

With that said :

1. Use of self checkouts is higher that almost any grocery store
2. Staff are generally unfriendly - multiple store sample
3. Self checkout supervisors always seems annoyed if you have a problem - and there are always problems with self checkout
4. Fresh baked goods often not available yet earlier in the mornings

I stop at Metro sometimes because it's right beside my office and we have one directly on my way home but if not for this fact, it's hard to imagine why I would ever go.

Do other people see these issues?
34 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
24043 posts
9555 upvotes
High prices doesn't always dissuade people.
Team that with snooty service and it could be seen as "elitist" which also adds to prestige.
Now you're shopping at a premium store.

Not everyone wants to join the riff raff at No Frills.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2005
10041 posts
2667 upvotes
death_hawk wrote:
Feb 11th, 2019 11:14 am
High prices doesn't always dissuade people.
Team that with snooty service and it could be seen as "elitist" which also adds to prestige.
Now you're shopping at a premium store.

Not everyone wants to join the riff raff at No Frills.
True but when I go to Sobey's (a nicer store IMO) I don't get the same union attitude from the staff. Much friendlier with the same high prices (though not quite as high).
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
14675 posts
2740 upvotes
Toronto
kool1 wrote:
Feb 11th, 2019 11:30 am
True but when I go to Sobey's (a nicer store IMO) I don't get the same union attitude from the staff. Much friendlier with the same high prices (though not quite as high).
I just read the flyer first before heading to Metro and try my best to only shop for the flyer specials.
Jul 6, 2008
931 posts
221 upvotes
GTA
The one at humber bay has one of the rudest produce ladies, took her 20 minutes to find green peppers once and she acted like it was not her job to restock the shelf...
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
8311 posts
1318 upvotes
Toronto
I just hit Metro for the flyer specials I might be interested in.
Sometimes I pick up discounted pastry like their raspberry Danish if the clearance rack is still out.
Some keep the clearance racks out while others wheel it into the back early in the morning (Keele and Lawrence).
I like their 16 inch family sized pizza especially when on sale.
Very few cashiers say or return a Hello, good morning etc while they may say it to others before you.
Even fewer offer to pack your bag If you brought your own.
No biggie for me on those two counts.
I just get my stuff, pay for it and leave like at any other grocery store.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2005
10041 posts
2667 upvotes
gh05t wrote:
Feb 11th, 2019 8:10 pm
I just get my stuff, pay for it and leave like at any other grocery store.
This is my point. If you are paying a premium for your food shouldn't you get good friendly service and check out?

If I want to bag my own food and get attitude I can stop by any discount grocery store and get that. In fact the local No Frills is mostly students and they are friendlier!
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
18685 posts
3305 upvotes
GTA West
My local Metro always has good service IME.
Prices are high, but I take the SDM model. Go for the sales, which tend to be quite good.
What if there were no hypothetical questions?
Aug 12, 2012
797 posts
328 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Last time I was at Metro the cashier crumpled up the receipt and threw it at the guy in front of me as he walked away. She turned to me and said "would it kill you to say thank you?". Maybe she was having a bad day, or maybe he was rude to her, but I've never seen a cashier act like that before.
Jul 11, 2017
331 posts
258 upvotes
I find the Metros I have shopped at are sorta the same, the staff don't seem to be as nice as they could be. It doesn't really bother me since I don't shop there often (Pretty much only with Redeem 95AM, Get 50AM). And normal prices are way too high (But not as bad as even RCSS can be sometimes, despite being a "discount" grocer)
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2005
10041 posts
2667 upvotes
Frank311 wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 10:38 am
Last time I was at Metro the cashier crumpled up the receipt and threw it at the guy in front of me as he walked away. She turned to me and said "would it kill you to say thank you?". Maybe she was having a bad day, or maybe he was rude to her, but I've never seen a cashier act like that before.
When I go in the morning beside my office they usually have no cashiers, just a lady watching the self check out.

She give zero in the way of help unless you ask and never a thank you or a "have a nice day" as you leave. Crusty.
May 7, 2008
622 posts
226 upvotes
Toronto
I'm truly in awe of how Metro stays in business for the all the aforementioned reasons.

You must give them a degree of credit insofar as they pick locations where they don't have good competition. 24-hour convenience help their case.

All I know is everyone I shop there, (which is rarely) I feel like I got an inferior product and got ripped off in the process.

Speaking of which - isn't SDM pretty similar?
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2006
2723 posts
618 upvotes
Toronto
Metro actually has reasonable prices on steak when on sale. I always get their AA ribeye or striploin steak at $5.99 to $6.99 / lb. They also do 10% discount for students on certain days of the week. I don't see Metro as up scale at all. They charge higher prices than other grocery stores because a lot of their stores are open 24 hour.
Jun 23, 2017
171 posts
47 upvotes
I don't like metro's meat. Longos and Loblaws' looks much better.
Feb 16, 2016
484 posts
149 upvotes
Casselman, Ontario
My local Metro isn’t too hot either. I believe Farm Boy is even more expensive though.