Hot Deals

[Metropolis at Metrotown] Metropolis at Metrotown Giftcard Buy $100 Get $15

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 30th, 2017 2:18 am
Nov 30, 2012
216 posts
110 upvotes
Burnaby
I'm a bit surprised this thread isn't getting a bit more attention since the restrictions on usage are relatively mild. Just a FYI, the staff at the kiosk were not very welcoming today. There are 3 adults in our household and it was simply more efficient for me to sign up everyone with my own email addresses. All 3 of us went to the kiosk and we had to present govt id with the emails with the promo codes to be allowed to purchase. OK - fine with that. But then after checking that the name on the id matched what was on their system for the code, they required that each of us to individually and separately re-tell them each of our email addresses which was pretty stupid since we had just handed them the printed emails which showed the email addresses. Moreover, my M-i-L doesn't speak English well and they wouldn't even let us speak for her even though she was standing right beside us! Then they wouldn't let me pay for all of the gift cards using my credit card and insisted that each person had to pay on their own! None of this was a big deal but I felt like we were being treated like criminals rather than customers.
Dec 17, 2014
427 posts
60 upvotes
Thanks OP!

Edit: never knew about this promo.
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2008
1580 posts
169 upvotes
HelloGoodBuy wrote:
Oct 29th, 2017 2:38 am
I'm a bit surprised this thread isn't getting a bit more attention since the restrictions on usage are relatively mild. Just a FYI, the staff at the kiosk were not very welcoming today. There are 3 adults in our household and it was simply more efficient for me to sign up everyone with my own email addresses. All 3 of us went to the kiosk and we had to present govt id with the emails with the promo codes to be allowed to purchase. OK - fine with that. But then after checking that the name on the id matched what was on their system for the code, they required that each of us to individually and separately re-tell them each of our email addresses which was pretty stupid since we had just handed them the printed emails which showed the email addresses. Moreover, my M-i-L doesn't speak English well and they wouldn't even let us speak for her even though she was standing right beside us! Then they wouldn't let me pay for all of the gift cards using my credit card and insisted that each person had to pay on their own! None of this was a big deal but I felt like we were being treated like criminals rather than customers.
Because there actually ARE quite a bit of restrictions. I got this card once and never again. It starts deducting money after a while, most of the shops I use daily do not allow it (all the bakeries for example). It may be worth it if you plan to spend all the money right away on a big purchase somewhere. As an actual gift card it's a terrible idea.
Nov 30, 2012
216 posts
110 upvotes
Burnaby
aos007 wrote:
Oct 29th, 2017 2:34 pm
Because there actually ARE quite a bit of restrictions. I got this card once and never again. It starts deducting money after a while, most of the shops I use daily do not allow it (all the bakeries for example). It may be worth it if you plan to spend all the money right away on a big purchase somewhere. As an actual gift card it's a terrible idea.
Sure it depends on where one spends $. BTW. when you buy it, they give you a piece of paper identifying which shops don't accept it so it's pretty clear -- looks like 29 in total but many of them are places you don't expect to use it like ICBC, the dentists, or financial/insurance services. Given that it's accepted at T&T and RCSS, it's pretty hard not to spend if you buy groceries from these places. They don't start deducting $ for 16 months -- after that amount of time, I probably would have already lost it if I hadn't spent it.
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2005
1888 posts
166 upvotes
North Vancouver
be awared Metrotown Gift card have mandatory monthly fee starting from 18 month, and their customer service is really bad won't make any exception for you.

I send email to their head company and I received a reply E-mail after 3 month told me to call regular customer service, yes 3 month ! although I don't have high expectations for customer service here, but 3 month Black Question Mark Ornament
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2011
2648 posts
771 upvotes
Vancouver
If some are not able to spend $100 in 18 months at Metrotown (including RCSS and T&T) then maybe they should stay away from this ...
#firstworldproblems
Aug 25, 2010
192 posts
44 upvotes
When does the email come? I signed up 30 minutes ago and no email yet. Thanks.
Nov 14, 2012
82 posts
33 upvotes
I just sign up this morning and got the email with the promo code.
Went to Metrotown Mall and purchased the $100 gift card and received a separate $15 gift card.
When into RCSS and purchased $115 worth of other gift cards, like Amazon, Bestbuy, David Tea, Starbucks.

No issues.
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2011
2648 posts
771 upvotes
Vancouver
live_4ever wrote:
Oct 29th, 2017 4:05 pm
When does the email come? I signed up 30 minutes ago and no email yet. Thanks.
Got mine in 5 minutes.
Sep 21, 2003
311 posts
3 upvotes
Vancouver
Does anyone know if you are able to buy multiple GCs totaling $100 in one transaction to qualify?
Good deals come to those who wait. Wait too long then the deals gone.
Jul 13, 2017
53 posts
16 upvotes
HelloGoodBuy wrote:
Oct 29th, 2017 2:38 am
Metrotown? I thought that mall was bilingual? (ie., Cantonese or Mandarin) Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes
Aug 25, 2010
192 posts
44 upvotes
chocobodavid wrote:
Oct 29th, 2017 4:23 pm
I just sign up this morning and got the email with the promo code.
Went to Metrotown Mall and purchased the $100 gift card and received a separate $15 gift card.
When into RCSS and purchased $115 worth of other gift cards, like Amazon, Bestbuy, David Tea, Starbucks.

No issues.
Thanks. Converted all mine to superstore gift cards. No expiry and camnudr it at any superstore.
May 26, 2011
163 posts
83 upvotes
live_4ever wrote:
Oct 29th, 2017 6:49 pm
Thanks. Converted all mine to superstore gift cards. No expiry and camnudr it at any superstore.
Why didn't I think of it? I was there yesterday after getting this promo GC. Luckily, I've spent less than $15 from promo GC, so I'll get RCSS GC on my next trip to Metropolis.

When I paid with a Metropolis GC, I was told to swipe it like an old credit card. The receipt didn't show the remaining balance, so RCSS may be recognizing it as if it were a credit card.
Freedom Mobile, booking.com, airbnb, AMEX, Carrot, EQ and Tangerine customer.
[OP]
Oct 8, 2015
171 posts
99 upvotes
Black Friday is around the corner and so is Boxing Day, or at least you can buy other GC from RCSS. It's not that hard to spend 115 in Metrotown, eh?