None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 12, 2004
8342 posts
2500 upvotes
Ottawa

Mexx returns fail.

Mexx had a sale the week before xmas where you bought 1 item got the 2nd cheaper one for 1 cent. This is where the frustration started. My wife bought $600 of clothes for all our nieces and nephews (which was about 24 pieces total. The idiot cashier would scan one, then put in a cheaper one at 1 cent. First she grabbed a $65 dress then a pair of $12 leggings for 1 cent. I asked her how come the POS doesn't do it automatically at the end and she said it's done manually. This is fine for someone buying a few pieces but for someone buying 24 pieces, I had to match up the prices as close as possible by hand. She failed to understand why I was doing that...but that lack of logic & intelligence is for another post. So the lesson here is they prefer accommodating customers buying the least amount of clothes possible. They don't want people buying $600 worth in 1 visit.

Now comes the fun part. Out of 24 pieces of kid's clothing 3 didn't fit, which I think is relatively good considering it's for growing kids and toddlers and none of it was tried on. So we went in for an exchange on those 3 pieces for bigger sizes. They were out. So I asked if I could replace them with similar items that had the same price. She said she would give me a refund or store credit on my 3 pieces. She looked at my receipt and said it would be 3 cents of store credit!!! It just so happens as luck would have it that these 3 items were the 1 cent ones. I attempted to reason with them but no joy.

That is just wrong on so many levels. I know the RFD crowd will be quick jumping on my back and blaming me for (___insert whatever reason___). Just a heads up about these scums next time you see a buy 1 get one for 1 cent sale. This is clearly a tactic to screw people over when buying gifts where the gift recipient is not around to try on the item.

EDIT 1/9/2013: Update as promised. We managed to exchange the items last night. We were offered credit for the current sale price of the items in question and applied it to the current price of 3 new items and paid the difference. I'm happy with the outcome and I can finally put this to rest. However, I am not pleased with incompetent salespeople and having to drive there twice for something that should have been done the 1st time. I appreciate the rep stepping in to resolve this too even if I didn't need them at the end.

Now will I go there again? 25% yes, 75% no. If this is where the story ended I might go in again, but being told by the Mexx rep in my PM's here that this was a final sale (which was not told to us, not marked anywhere in the store or on the receipt when the ENTIRE store was on sale, asking and being told exchanges would not be a problem and even being given gift receipts and this being a week before xmas when 95% of what they sell are likely items that will be gifted) you can see how this type of trickery would make me think twice about stepping in there again. At the end of the day I did what any smart customer would do to protect their arses, but a store policy is obviously not the law and only a guideline which they may (or may not) choose to follow at their discretion. If they choose not to then you have zero recourse I guess.
Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.
- Mark Twain
23 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2005
1528 posts
176 upvotes
Burnaby
What you experienced is pretty much standard with Buy-One-Get-One type sales. The cashier was likely not an idiot, she was just following management instructions. Naturally if you come to the till with a huge pile of garments, they're going to pick the cheapest items out of that pile to give you for free.

The lesson here is simple: You need to go round and round the cashier merry-go-round with a separate transaction for each free (or one cent) item so YOU can make the pairings you want. That said, remember they have the legal right to cut you off at any time and refuse to sell you any more items if they feel you're hoarding or they're losing too much to you in discounts.
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
22814 posts
912 upvotes
Markham, ON
Mexx returns are frustrating...i had something similar happen to me in the past...i went to exchange something...the cashier wouldnt because the sale was over...i had to pay the difference...WTF?

after that...Im much more hesitant buying things from MExx.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2005
1528 posts
176 upvotes
Burnaby
thelefteyeguy wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2013 12:26 pm
Mexx returns are frustrating...i had something similar happen to me in the past...i went to exchange something...the cashier wouldnt because the sale was over...i had to pay the difference...WTF?
Not uncommon at any retailer. When the sale is over, the items go back to regular price. Some stores - mainly the larger department stores - will honor the sale discount on exchange, but it's purely a courtesy -- not required of them. The moral is you have to do your exchanges while the sale is still on to be assured of the same pricing on your new selections.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2005
1528 posts
176 upvotes
Burnaby
Poulet wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2013 12:32 pm
I am sure they make lots and lots of money even at a discount. This is Mexx. Go check the prices...

The cashier was not too bright offering you a 3 cents credit. Unbelievable. Lack of respect.
Maybe check with a different cashier, one who has logic.
Talk to the manager from this store or another store. Or e-mail corporate.
Lack of respect? Nope. People need to stop coming down on the lowly cashiers for everything. What possible benefit would accrue to the cashier for not giving you the maximum discount? They're min-wage peons.

No, the mangement are the ones who set and enforce the discounting policies. You're dreaming if you believe otherwise.
"I count as braver he who conquers his desires than he who conquers his enemies; for the hardest victory is over the self." - Aristotle
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 12, 2004
8342 posts
2500 upvotes
Ottawa
Poulet wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2013 12:32 pm
I am sure they make lots and lots of money even at a discount. This is Mexx. Go check the prices...

The cashier was not too bright offering you a 3 cents credit. Unbelievable. Lack of respect.

Maybe check with a different cashier, one who has logic.
Talk to the manager from this store or another store. Or e-mail corporate.
I agree they sell low quality overpriced clothing...but most parents see it as a more upscale brand than say Children's Place so unfortunately for me my wife likes buying from there for gifts.

Those are my next steps. No way am I letting them get away with this crap. Actually the next step is trying with the gift receipt. Are they going to tell the gift recipient that their child received a 3 cent gift? lol If so that's very very low.

I'll also be tweeting them this post after I attempt the gift receipt return.
Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.
- Mark Twain
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2008
4717 posts
1780 upvotes
Richmond Hill
While (in a sick and twisted way) the 3c store credit makes sense, they should of let you get an exchange for an equally priced item. My advice would be to either wait for em to get more stock, or push for an exchange for something similar; youre not going to get more than 3c because thats exactly what you paid.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 12, 2004
8342 posts
2500 upvotes
Ottawa
Wingding wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2013 12:25 pm
What you experienced is pretty much standard with Buy-One-Get-One type sales. The cashier was likely not an idiot, she was just following management instructions. Naturally if you come to the till with a huge pile of garments, they're going to pick the cheapest items out of that pile to give you for free.

The lesson here is simple: You need to go round and round the cashier merry-go-round with a separate transaction for each free (or one cent) item so YOU can make the pairings you want. That said, remember they have the legal right to cut you off at any time and refuse to sell you any more items if they feel you're hoarding or they're losing too much to you in discounts.
The sale, although not convenient for customers is not my issue here. My issue is with the return. I read the entire policy on the counter first as well, and confirmed verbally I would get store credit if it did not fit as these were all gifts. As a customer I protected my arse as best I could.

EDIT: I meant to say 'exchange' and not 'store credit'. Store credit is what I asked for when the item was OOS.

EDIT#2: I'm also not expecting 100% credit of the tag value. I simply think 50% of both items is fair...they can even take their penny back (50% - 1 cent)
- Mark Twain
Deal Addict
May 2, 2007
3015 posts
260 upvotes
But the items your trying to exchange / return you only paid .03 cents for.

You want 50% of the tag price? Lolwat?
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2006
1975 posts
195 upvotes
Orleans
Did you visit or call other locations to see if they had the product you were looking for?

I am sure they want to keep you as a satisfied loyal customer. Try to talk to someone else.

Anyways, good luck
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2006
2495 posts
83 upvotes
good luck, but your complaints are for all the wrong reasons.
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2006
1975 posts
195 upvotes
Orleans
After thinking about it, I think you may be out of luck as others mentioned. The price paid was 1 cent. Unfortunately, if the item is OOS, the only way to get your money back would be to return the other item, the one linked to the 1 cent item.

I think the cashier did the right thing. It was logical.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 12, 2004
8342 posts
2500 upvotes
Ottawa
starboy869 wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2013 12:57 pm
But the items your trying to exchange / return you only paid .03 cents for.

You want 50% of the tag price? Lolwat?
IE
item #1 tag $50
item #2 tag $40

So I got these 2 for $50.01

all I want really is $40/2 or $20 IN-STORE credit. I don't care about the cash...I just think $20 to spend in their store is fair and they possibly salvage a customer. If a customer that spent $600 isn't worth maybe $50 for these 3 items (high level estimate) who will then spend that $50 in their store then their business is clearly flawed and the right hand (corporate) has no clue what the left hand does (store level).
Insider wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2013 1:12 pm
good luck, but your complaints are for all the wrong reasons.
How do you figure?
- Mark Twain
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2001
12998 posts
3782 upvotes
Cas77 wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2013 1:30 pm
IE
item #1 tag $50
item #2 tag $40

So I got these 2 for $50.01

all I want really is $40/2 or $20 IN-STORE credit. I don't care about the cash...I just think $20 to spend in their store is fair and they possibly salvage a customer. If a customer that spent $600 isn't worth maybe $50 for these 3 items (high level estimate) who will then spend that $50 in their store then their business is clearly flawed and the right hand (corporate) has no clue what the left hand does (store level).
First off, I think this type of sale is prone to problems like these and they should really just stick to their "50% off" sale.

That said I think what you're asking is unfair because after all these years at RFD you know people will abuse it. How? They'll take half off one item then try to argue a return of the corresponding full priced item (whether it be through using a gift receipt, etc) which puts the store out money and them ahead.

What seems fair to me is offering you an exchange on the same item (different size, etc.). If the item is no longer available (not that it's not currently in stock) then and only then should they even entertain a store credit.

What I would encourage you to do is talk to a manager in a reasonable manner. They may very well just process your exchange because, as you put it, they don't want to lose a good customer.
Jan 1, 2013
1 posts
PORT HOPE
If you let me know which is the closest Mexx for you we would gladly exchange your items for something that fits your needs. Thank you, Christine. If you would prefer not to post you may email directly to canCustomerServiceMe@mexx.com and our staff would love to help resolve this for you. Thank you
× < >