• Aug 14th, 2017 9:50 am
Tags:
[OP]
Jan 14, 2007
370 posts
57 upvotes
Toronto

Miami airport

I was wondering if someone can answer my question...

I will be dropping off an Alamo rented car at Miami Airport, do they have a free shuttle to the port for our cruise?
I called Alamo and they said to call the location but the location is not answering.

Thank you.
17 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
6750 posts
1381 upvotes
Toronto
Miami airport to the cruise port is not close. Most car rental companies stopped providing shuttle service to the cruise port years ago. Alamo still provided it a few years ago when we rented, but tht was a few years ago. It was a bus, and they waited till it was almost full before departing. So it can be a long wait. It also was not frequent, to if you don't catch it in time, you're out of luck and still need to take a taxi. After our own experience (we did take that bus), we felt that for the future, it's not worth it.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2015
2171 posts
1165 upvotes
rajojomanik wrote:
Jul 24th, 2017 12:31 pm

I will be dropping off an Alamo rented car at Miami Airport, do they have a free shuttle to the port for our cruise?
I called Alamo and they said to call the location but the location is not answering.

Thank you.
I could not find any free shuttles from anywhere in Miami to the cruise terminal when we went in Dec 2015. We looked at car rentals, hotel stays, etc. and it seems like no one does the cruise transfers anymore. We ended up at an AirBnB and taking an Uber to the port. I recall it being relatively cheap ($10-20) for the Uber ride.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
27873 posts
3940 upvotes
Ottawa
No. There is no free shuttle to the port.
By cab, about 25 bucks to the port http://www.toandfromtheairport.com/miami.php
'Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional minority, and rabidly promoted by unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds the proposition that it is possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.' Anonymous
[OP]
Jan 14, 2007
370 posts
57 upvotes
Toronto
Thank you everyone for the info.

I will use Uber or a taxi.
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2009
3175 posts
839 upvotes
Moncton
Very easy to do by public transportation. See Google Maps for details.
Toronto is a very small part of Canada
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
1108 posts
563 upvotes
As others have said no FREE transfers from the Airport to the Cruise Terminal.

I also add the following for anyone else cruising out of ether Miami or Fort Lauderdale...

SKIP the Free Shuttles that do the run from various Hotels to the Cruise Termnal... They are offered by the Hotels & Cruise Companies. They are ALWAYS a nightmare. Slow = Milk run from hotel to hotel, and overcrowded. The cost of a cab from any of the hotels in these 2 cities to their ports is relatively cheap, and easy. Why start your day off at a cattle call ? Begin your vacation in a calm relaxed manner, spend the money, and relax by the ship's pool, drink in hand sooner, and less stressed
Last edited by PointsHubby on Jul 25th, 2017 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
27873 posts
3940 upvotes
Ottawa
MonctonMan wrote:
Jul 24th, 2017 11:59 pm
Very easy to do by public transportation. See Google Maps for details.
Sure, take a bus with all your luggage and things you have from your vacation headed for a cruise. :facepalm:
Dumb advice.
'Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional minority, and rabidly promoted by unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds the proposition that it is possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.' Anonymous
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2004
3106 posts
394 upvotes
GTEH!
There isn't an Alamo location close to Miami Cruise Port for drop-off?

I'll be cruising out of Miami Cruise Port next month, August, but flying in to Fort Lauderdale Airport. I'll be taking a paid Shuttle transport (not part of Cruise Line) to Miami Port.
😎
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
6750 posts
1381 upvotes
Toronto
Webhead wrote:
Jul 25th, 2017 10:42 am
There isn't an Alamo location close to Miami Cruise Port for drop-off?

I'll be cruising out of Miami Cruise Port next month, August, but flying in to Fort Lauderdale Airport. I'll be taking a paid Shuttle transport (not part of Cruise Line) to Miami Port.
No. There are other car rental agencies a little closer but still need to take a taxi.

FLL is much better. The airport and cruiseport are close.
Deal Addict
May 25, 2009
1527 posts
173 upvotes
superfresh89 wrote:
Jul 24th, 2017 1:06 pm
I could not find any free shuttles from anywhere in Miami to the cruise terminal when we went in Dec 2015. We looked at car rentals, hotel stays, etc. and it seems like no one does the cruise transfers anymore. We ended up at an AirBnB and taking an Uber to the port. I recall it being relatively cheap ($10-20) for the Uber ride.
Weird. We cruised on the Norwegian Escape in Dec 2015 and rented from Alamo. We returned our rental car pre-cruise at the Miami airport and used the Alamo free shuttle to get from the airport to the Port of Miami. After the cruise we again took the Alamo shuttle and picked up a rental car at the Miami airport and drove up to the Fort Lauderdale area.
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2009
3175 posts
839 upvotes
Moncton
if you take a taxi, you miss out on my favourite part of Miami. :)

If you aren't a fan of urban oddities and have time to kill, you can also take the Miami Beach Airport Express (then take a short taxi/city bus ride to the cruise terminal).

Miami Beach might be the best beach of your vacation. The topless models add a certain je ne sais quoi to the beach experience. Although it is also a great place to swim if you don't mind the waves and cold water. Despite the relative wealth of the place, obviously don't leave your luggage/valuables unattended. The south end is generally where the locals end up, as it is the closest to the city.
Toronto is a very small part of Canada
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
27873 posts
3940 upvotes
Ottawa
MonctonMan wrote:
Jul 25th, 2017 7:56 pm
if you take a taxi, you miss out on my favourite part of Miami. :)

If you aren't a fan of urban oddities and have time to kill, you can also take the Miami Beach Airport Express (then take a short taxi/city bus ride to the cruise terminal).

Miami Beach might be the best beach of your vacation. The topless models add a certain je ne sais quoi to the beach experience. Although it is also a great place to swim if you don't mind the waves and cold water. Despite the relative wealth of the place, obviously don't leave your luggage/valuables unattended. The south end is generally where the locals end up, as it is the closest to the city.
You're weird Dude. Metrorail is an elevated train that has limited reach. You still need to get to it from the airport and then get another taxi for transport to the cruise terminal....all the while dragging your luggage. And the Express Bus also does not take you to the cruise terminal.
As for the Miami Beach...it is a huge area, with beaches on the Atlantic side as well as Biscayne Bay side, not all of it cold water and waves and, very little is topless. Not sure why you even brought it up.
Oct 13, 2011
423 posts
189 upvotes
calgaryhhr wrote:
Jul 25th, 2017 7:23 pm
Weird. We cruised on the Norwegian Escape in Dec 2015 and rented from Alamo. We returned our rental car pre-cruise at the Miami airport and used the Alamo free shuttle to get from the airport to the Port of Miami. After the cruise we again took the Alamo shuttle and picked up a rental car at the Miami airport and drove up to the Fort Lauderdale area.
According to these recent thread,
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2519372
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2522395

It looks like National, Alamo, Thrifty and Enterprise offer a free shuttle service between their MIA airport location and POM.
[OP]
Jan 14, 2007
370 posts
57 upvotes
Toronto
rajojomanik wrote:
Jul 24th, 2017 12:31 pm

Thank you.
Update...

I just got back from our cruise through Miami with Carnival Vista.

We flew into FLL, rented a car and stayed for a day in FLL. Our group of 10 (2 vans) drove to Miami the next day and dropped them off at the port, we then returned to vans to Miami airport car rental depot. We were prepared to take a taxi but noticed that there were shuttle services from the rental depot to the port of Miami. We rented through Alamo but saw other company shuttle services as well.

On the return flight we took a shuttle service from the port of Miami to FLL, it was maybe an 30mins ride. The service we used was MJS Transportation but there are a number of services available you can use.