• Jan 12th, 2021 3:32 pm
Tags:
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
7156 posts
7138 upvotes

Mice in the attic

Update
I brought in a company for an assessment/quote that my colleague recently used that also has good online reviews. They confirmed that it is mice but no damage - just minor traces of them in the attic. He found 1-2 vulnerable spots but said the rest of the of the house was pretty secure but his quote was still for a full house seal (they won't do piece-meal because then they can't guarantee their work - makes sense).

Roughly 6 hours of work plus 2+ follow-up visits and 5 year warranty for $1119 (taxes in) - still more than I wanted to spend but better than the other quote - plus as I mentioned my roof has a very steep pitch, making the job more challenging and time-consuming. I'm sure there are cheaper options but for piece of mind and to ensure the problem doesn't worse (it's really minor now) thinking I might just get it done.

Original:
I have some creature(s) living in my attic - I'm deducing it's mice as I can hear a soft scratching sound and pitter-patter at night but not 100% sure. The previous owners actually had issues with squirrels - they brought in someone to cover the vents on the roof. I've reached out to them to get more info (company name, service date) to see if there's any warranty on the work they got done. Just as a FYI - I have a lot of walnut trees on my property, as well as a apple tree right next to the roof.

In the mean time I'm calling around to get some quotes. My colleague used Raider Pest Control, which has good online reviews. After looking at my home via Google Maps, the guy quoted me $1500-2500, which seems really high to me. They do offer a life-time warranty and this work would include sealing all the entry points but surprisingly (for that price point) they do not include picking up any mice droppings in the attic...is that with most companies? Any work on the insulation would be at an additional cost. Does that quote sound reasonable for 1200sqf home? Anyone else use them?

I don't want to deal with putting out any traps in attic myself - and also my issue is more with preventative measures - sealing the home. I have a very steep roof so it's not something I can do myself especially since the guy from Raider it's like the spot between the 2 dormers - apparently that's a vulnerable spot that squirrels usually chew through.

Someone also advised on using moth balls -according to some YouTube videos it appears to be a cheap and effective solution but I'm not sure how effective or long-term that would be.

Looking for advice on the best course of action.

On a some what of a side note - my neighbour revealed to me this summer that her 18-year old children feed the squirrels!!!!! This made me soooo mad...WTF! I nicely and casually mentioned that wildlife shouldn't be fed and that I'm getting a lot squirrels on my property (and she mentioned not having any) but I don't know if it registered...you gotta be rather clueless to let your kids knowingly do this...I cannot believe this is not common sense to people. Why would you purposely attract rodents to your property especially you know what damage they can do! Just wondering if I should bring this up to neighbours and nicely ask if they can discourage their "kids" to stop feeding the wildlife...obviously I can't make them stop feeding wildlife but thought it might be worthwhile to let know I'm having issues (they also know they previous owners had issues with squirrels...you think they would have clued in :rolleyes: )
Last edited by hierophant on Oct 8th, 2019 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
16 replies
Deal Guru
Jul 7, 2017
10217 posts
5530 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
You have to look around, inside and outside, and seal up all the potential entrances (diameter or a dime in the case of mice).
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2009
5768 posts
3612 upvotes
Lots of people feed squirrels, birds, other wildlife. A squirrel would need a pretty big hole to get into your attic so definitely take care of that. As for mice, it’s really hard to seal the home against them as they can squeeze into the tiniest of openings.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
4867 posts
2067 upvotes
Edmonton
hierophant wrote: I have some creature(s) living in my attic - I'm deducing it's mice as I can hear a soft scratching sound and pitter-patter at night but not 100% sure. The previous owners actually had issues with squirrels - they brought in someone to cover the vents on the roof. I've reached out to them to get more info (company name, service date) to see if there's any warranty on the work they got done. Just as a FYI - I have a lot of walnut trees on my property, as well as a apple tree right next to the roof.

In the mean time I'm calling around to get some quotes. My colleague used Raider Pest Control, which has good online reviews. After looking at my home via Google Maps, the guy quoted me $1500-2500, which seems really high to me. They do offer a life-time warranty and this work would include sealing all the entry points but surprisingly (for that price point) they do not include picking up any mice droppings in the attic...is that with most companies? Any work on the insulation would be at an additional cost. Does that quote sound reasonable for 1200sqf home? Anyone else use them?

I don't want to deal with putting out any traps in attic myself - and also my issue is more with preventative measures - sealing the home. I have a very steep roof so it's not something I can do myself especially since the guy from Raider it's like the spot between the 2 dormers - apparently that's a vulnerable spot that squirrels usually chew through.

Someone also advised on using moth balls -according to some YouTube videos it appears to be a cheap and effective solution but I'm not sure how effective or long-term that would be.

On a some what of a side note - my neighbour revealed to me this summer that her 18-year old children feed the squirrels!!!!! This made me soooo mad...WTF! I nicely and casually mentioned that wildlife shouldn't be fed and that I'm getting a lot squirrels on my property (and she mentioned not having any) but I don't know if it registered...you gotta be rather clueless to let your kids knowingly do this...I cannot believe this is not common sense to people. Why would you purposely attract rodents to your property especially you know what damage they can do! Just wondering if I should bring this up to neighbours and nicely ask if they can discourage their "kids" to stop feeding the wildlife...obviously I can't make them stop feeding wildlife but thought it might be worthwhile to let know I'm having issues (they also know they previous owners had issues with squirrels...you think they would have clued in :rolleyes: )
If I was talking to you I would be rolling my eyes all over.

1- Feeding squirrels os perfectly fine, she's feeding them in her yard, mind your own business

2- squirrels aren't rodents

Last edited by MrDisco on Oct 7th, 2019 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: unnecessary
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
7156 posts
7138 upvotes
fdl wrote: Lots of people feed squirrels, birds, other wildlife.
Yes they do but does not make it right - humans should not be feeding wildlife (for a variety of reasons) - that is common sense IMO.
fdl wrote: As for mice, it’s really hard to seal the home against them as they can squeeze into the tiniest of openings.
I'm pretty sure it's mice- I am going to confirm - haven't had a chance as I just discovered this last night. If it is, is it a waste of money to pay upwards o $2500 to get the house sealed if they're still able to get in?
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
17068 posts
1830 upvotes
Thornhill
tmkf_patryk wrote: If I was talking to you I would be rolling my eyes all over.

1- Feeding squirrels os perfectly fine, she's feeding them in her yard, mind your own business
*duh*

https://www.ontario.ca/page/feeding-wil ... -and-donts
Laws/rules

Some municipalities may have by-laws that prohibit people from feeding wildlife.
tmkf_patryk wrote: 2- squirrels aren't rodents
*duh*

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squirrel
Squirrels are members of the family Sciuridae, a family that includes small or medium-size rodents. The squirrel family includes tree squirrels, ground squirrels, chipmunks, marmots (including woodchucks), flying squirrels, and prairie dogs amongst other rodents. Squirrels are indigenous to the Americas, Eurasia, and Africa, and were introduced by humans to Australia.[1] The earliest known fossilized squirrels date from the Eocene period and are most closely related to the mountain beaver and to the dormouse among other living rodent families.
Last edited by MrDisco on Oct 7th, 2019 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: quote was edited
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
9652 posts
10924 upvotes
Vancouver
Just pray that it isn't a raccoon. They can cause a lot of damage.
Oct 3, 2011
604 posts
387 upvotes
OTTAWA
Scote64 wrote: Just pray that it isn't a raccoon. They can cause a lot of damage.
they all can cause a lot of damage.

Also to an above question by the op, I doubt a pest removal company will remove droppings specifically mouse droppings as well... you'd basically have to have all attic insulation removed and replaced if you want to be rid of it completely. Since attic insulation is loose fill, you're going to have a problem finding every spot your critter(s) has pissed and shat, as well the the house may have had the issue long before hand so you could have multiple generations of old critter piss and crap mixed in.

Mice are not a huge deal if you can seal off all entries.. trapping them inside will kill strand them and starve them to deal eventually as long as you can control the indoor population, you're going to have to deal with some smells until they dry out... and the bigger the critter, the bigger the smell. The pest removal company should be trapping anything large and prevent further re-entry... hopefully it's not something that has babies either.

Also apparently there is a species of bat that is endangered or threatened status in ontario that you can't just kill/remove just like that... there's apparently a process to relocate them.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
7156 posts
7138 upvotes
I brought in a company for an assessment/quote that my colleague recently used that also has good online reviews. They confirmed that it is mice but no damage - just minor traces of them in the attic. He found 1-2 vulnerable spots but said the rest of the of the house was pretty secure but his quote was still for a full house seal (they won't do piece-meal because then they can't guarantee their work - makes sense).

Roughly 6 hours of work plus 2+ follow-up visits and 5 year warranty for $1119 (taxes in) - still more than I wanted to spend but better than the other quote - plus as I mentioned my roof has a very steep pitch, making the job more challenging and time-consuming. I'm sure there are cheaper options but for piece of mind and to ensure the problem doesn't worse (it's really minor now) thinking I might just get it done.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2018
6328 posts
2525 upvotes
does it matter?
hierophant wrote: Yes they do but does not make it right - humans should not be feeding wildlife (for a variety of reasons) - that is common sense IMO.

I'm pretty sure it's mice- I am going to confirm - haven't had a chance as I just discovered this last night. If it is, is it a waste of money to pay upwards o $2500 to get the house sealed if they're still able to get in?
If its mice small to med this will work. Every time.

Catchmaster Rat & Mouse Glue Traps

If its big the use other cage. Multi-Rat Trap

There is big one for raccoons and all
"Laws for thee but not for me!" I will keep on jet-setting around the world. Spend as much as I can and enjoy vacations Free at Friends estate. Do as I do not as I say. I used to pay for my vacation until I met my hero.
Deal Addict
Jul 25, 2008
1609 posts
1433 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I have something in my attic too. I heard it a few months ago but it stopped. Yesterday it started again and it happened again tonight. It sounds like pitter patter clicking, tapping and rustling sounds and is happening only above the room I’m currently sleeping in and around 1-2am. Its possible its happening at other times but I’m not in this room unless I’m sleeping. I wake up multiple times through thr night nursing my daughter and don’t notice the sounds at any other times.

Anyways, OP, which company did you use? Can someone recommend a good company in GTA? Thanks
Deal Guru
Sep 8, 2007
10978 posts
14474 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
Gotta bite the bullet and get it done and hope it works. The 5 yr warranty on the work is useful in case that it’s not a one and done solution.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
7156 posts
7138 upvotes
Didi_beee wrote: I have something in my attic too. I heard it a few months ago but it stopped. Yesterday it started again and it happened again tonight. It sounds like pitter patter clicking, tapping and rustling sounds and is happening only above the room I’m currently sleeping in and around 1-2am. Its possible its happening at other times but I’m not in this room unless I’m sleeping. I wake up multiple times through thr night nursing my daughter and don’t notice the sounds at any other times.

Anyways, OP, which company did you use? Can someone recommend a good company in GTA? Thanks
Sounds like mice to me. I'm not in the GTA so the company I used would be of little use to you.

The first night I could really hear a lot of activity (I kind of felt bad if the babies were waiting for their mother to come back with food) but every since the first night not a peep...hopefully they're reunited lol. I would recommend doing it sooner than later because the population will just increase - this is the time they're looking for a warm place for winter.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
4685 posts
830 upvotes
Waterloo
hierophant wrote: Yes they do but does not make it right - humans should not be feeding wildlife (for a variety of reasons) - that is common sense IMO.
Offtopic:

Its been wonderful for humanity to feed wildlife. We got domesticated dogs and cats. Who knows we will get domesticated squirrals and racoons soon.

I am rooting for domesticated raccoons like in japan. If only some people would stop harking about not feeding them. :S
----
Pay it forward.
Dec 2, 2005
391 posts
Toronto
hierophant wrote: Update

Original:
I have some creature(s) living in my attic - I'm deducing it's mice as I can hear a soft scratching sound and pitter-patter at night but not 100% sure. The previous owners actually had issues with squirrels - they brought in someone to cover the vents on the roof. I've reached out to them to get more info (company name, service date) to see if there's any warranty on the work they got done. Just as a FYI - I have a lot of walnut trees on my property, as well as a apple tree right next to the roof.

Would you mind sharing the company that you brought in to take care of your mouse issue?
Please check out my photography website/blog: http://fromarnold.com

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)