Tags:
None
[OP]
May 13, 2009
492 posts
5 upvotes

Mice in the basement

Hi everyone.

Looking for some advice regarding mice in the basement..

So my cousin was staying in my basement, and that's when we started discovering mice. We assumed it was because my cousin was eating in the basement which attracted the mice. We used mouse traps and the mice glue traps and were able to catch 7 mice. My cousin went on a long trip and hasnt been back for around 3 months. We left all the traps in the basement (with food on it) and didnt catch a single mouse for 3 months. Just last week we suddenly caught 1 and today another one. So basically there was a period of around 3 months where we had none. We assume after my cousin left (no smell of food) the mice stopped coming.

Now we are thinking , are the mice coming in the house some how? i mean we left the traps for 3 months with no results and suddenly they are back... Our basement is finished and we have looked around the house and haven't discovered any holes for the mice to enter... Is it possible they enter through vents? or something...

Any ideas/suggestions ?
21 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2009
11737 posts
1478 upvotes
Toronto
Call an exterminator.

But yeah, look for their droppings, as that may give you an idea where they're coming in. Seal up each and every hole you can find. They only need a quarter to half inch to get through. That spray foam filler stuff works well for that.

http://www.ocvcd.org/bulletins/Rodent-p ... idence.pdf
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2009
11737 posts
1478 upvotes
Toronto
Anonymouse is a traitor to his kind.

Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
5745 posts
539 upvotes
Anonymouse wrote:
Aug 29th, 2011 9:42 pm
You will find that the number you catch will go up as the weather gets colder and they move inside.

+1
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2007
1802 posts
Brampton
We had mice a few years back. A tip would be to clear any clutter you have in your basement. Mice love dark and messy places to hide. Check all basement windows or any holes or possible places of entry. Also check your dryer and your kitchen exhaust fan ports. Don't leave any food out at night, keep everything sealed. Buy a cat? lol GL getting rid of them! They were a pain when we had them.
System: Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.8Ghz | Asus E-VI | 32GB Mushkin 8x4GB | Gigabyte R9 280x CF | X-FI Titanium | Seasonic 1000W Platinum | 2x Evo 840 raid 0 | LG GBC-H20L | Samsung SH-S223C | Corsair 900D | Viewsonic 24"x3 | Logitech z-5500 | Razr Blackwidow | Steelseries Sensei |
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2007
3004 posts
142 upvotes
Ottawa
OP: examine your house from the outside and keep in mind the advice above that mice only need 1/2" or less to get in. If you see any gaps or cracks larger than 1/4", consider filling them (except for the weep holes if you have a brick exterior). Look particularly around door frames and basement windows as these are common locations for gaps that become mouse entry points. Frankly, any door or window is a possible source and it's entirely possible that their entry point is in the attic and they've followed gaps along something like a plumbing stack down to the basement.

FWIW, it is unlikely that mice were coming into the house only to feed - most probably, they bred in the house and you successfully eradicated the clan back in the spring. It is possible that the two you caught recently were ones from that family that the original traps didn't catch for a host of reasons (most possibly because you removed their food source and their reason for going to that part of the house). If so, there may be other mice but they're elsewhere. You can try an exterminator or learn where to place traps and what kind to use (lots of internet advice on this topic).

Good luck.
[OP]
May 13, 2009
492 posts
5 upvotes
crysissniper wrote:
Aug 29th, 2011 11:30 pm
We had mice a few years back. A tip would be to clear any clutter you have in your basement. Mice love dark and messy places to hide. Check all basement windows or any holes or possible places of entry. Also check your dryer and your kitchen exhaust fan ports. Don't leave any food out at night, keep everything sealed. Buy a cat? lol GL getting rid of them! They were a pain when we had them.

I would buy a cat, but I am allergic... LOL

Anyways thanks for the advice everybody!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
5745 posts
539 upvotes
A cat isn't always the solution. A couple years ago a bunch of mice moved into my kitchen. The cat knew that they were there but couldn't get to them because they stayed behind or under large appliances, fridge, stove and the like. I killed all 7 with a basic trap, 6 of them inside the old dishwasher where they were feasting on dirty plates. I guess they found a way in through a vent or something.

The very first mouse I ever saw in my house decades ago was inside the toaster, at the bottom of the slot reaching down and scooping up crumbs from the bottom of the toaster. I always laugh when I see advice about not leaving food around to attract mice. Forget it. Mice are smarter than people and will find sources of food in your kitchen that you've never even thought of.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2011
8522 posts
1318 upvotes
Somewhere
1) Pump cyanide into your basement.
2) Wait.
3) ???
4) Profit.
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2007
4950 posts
904 upvotes
Necropost ...

We found a dead mouse in our basement sink last autumn. A week prior, The Wife found some shreds of drywall on the floor in the middle of the basement (our basement is unfinished) but we couldn't figure out where it came from.

Fast forward to 30 minutes ago, we found two more dead ones but this time in the centre of the basement floor. I still can't find where they're coming in from.

Any suggestions? We have a really clean house and never leave any food or anything out. Garbage gets thrown out immediately and we don't leave doors/windows open. We only go into the basement to do laundry once a week and the only things we have down there are Christmas ornaments, tools and empty boxes from moving in.
Dec 13, 2011
816 posts
68 upvotes
BluePhirePB wrote:
Mar 11th, 2012 7:01 pm
Necropost ...

We found a dead mouse in our basement sink last autumn. A week prior, The Wife found some shreds of drywall on the floor in the middle of the basement (our basement is unfinished) but we couldn't figure out where it came from.

Fast forward to 30 minutes ago, we found two more dead ones but this time in the centre of the basement floor. I still can't find where they're coming in from.

Any suggestions? We have a really clean house and never leave any food or anything out. Garbage gets thrown out immediately and we don't leave doors/windows open. We only go into the basement to do laundry once a week and the only things we have down there are Christmas ornaments, tools and empty boxes from moving in.
apparently some can come in through the sewers/toilet. you can buy one of those super sonic things from home depot to drive therm away...some people don't like them because they are afraid it might affect the brain...
--------------------------------
:evil:
Spam:irrelevant or inappropriate messages sent on the Internet to a large number of recipients.
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2007
4950 posts
904 upvotes
Hmm, The Wife suggested they were coming up from the drain of the basement sink. I guess I'll have to plug it and get some traps. They only seem to come when the temperature drops or rises.
Dec 13, 2011
816 posts
68 upvotes
BluePhirePB wrote:
Mar 11th, 2012 7:49 pm
Hmm, The Wife suggested they were coming up from the drain of the basement sink. I guess I'll have to plug it and get some traps. They only seem to come when the temperature drops or rises.
...Tell ur cousin to pay for exterminator
--------------------------------
:evil:
Spam:irrelevant or inappropriate messages sent on the Internet to a large number of recipients.
Dec 2, 2008
625 posts
58 upvotes
Belleville
Plug any holes you suspect they're using with steel wool.

Check for entry points along the ground on the exterior. I've seen mice run up walls between pipes and downspouts. Make sure they can't get in through basement windows or under doors.
× < >