• Nov 12th, 2019 1:08 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 23, 2017
1741 posts
826 upvotes

mice in basement... how to handle?

found mice droppings and a dead mouse in my basement in an access point behind the drywall in the finished basement wall. How should we deal with this? I put a few traps and plan on calling theexterminators.ca tomorrow. how much am I looking at cost wise to get this under control? can anyone share their experience with this situation?
Got that Zoomer account!
49 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
1660 posts
937 upvotes
NOT centre of Univer…
Depends on how bad it is. We had a mic problem. You need to find all entry points and seal them up with steel wool. we paid about $400 to trap the whole house and back. And then pay a yearly maintenance now.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it bothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
11485 posts
4735 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
You need to deal with the situation right away before they start multiplying. In my experience, not all mice can be trapped the same way - ie some like X, while others go for Y, and still others will go for Z where X,Y, and Z can be bait or types of traps. You should try an assortment of traps and baits and put a lot of them out especially in areas where you found the droppings. I won't necessarily clean up the infested area first as I like the leave the area reasonably untouched except for the traps.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 23, 2017
1741 posts
826 upvotes
Macx2mommy wrote:
Nov 6th, 2019 11:46 pm
Depends on how bad it is. We had a mic problem. You need to find all entry points and seal them up with steel wool. we paid about $400 to trap the whole house and back. And then pay a yearly maintenance now.
how much is the yearly fee?
Got that Zoomer account!
Mar 22, 2017
592 posts
479 upvotes
Why don't you just kill them yourself with traps? It isn't that hard to do, buy a bunch, leave them around with a bit of peanut butter on them. Combine that with cleaning up your basement (remove junk, seal up organic material) and identifying and sealing entry points with steel wool, and the problem's probably solved.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
1660 posts
937 upvotes
NOT centre of Univer…
riseagainstthemachine wrote:
Nov 7th, 2019 6:34 am
how much is the yearly fee?
I am not a 100% sure. We have been doing it for 11 years. I think it is about $500 which was close as one service call. Also keep in mind I don’t live near the center of the universe, so YMMV. I would just call them up, and see what they have.

We tried trapping them ourselves first, but learned if there was one there was probably more. By the the time we caught the third, they had eaten a few holes in the wall, eaten through some power cables on the WIi and speaker system. I was very pregnant, and we just kept finding new mouse droppings, so didn’t want to risk anything before the baby. I didn’t realize how long ago it was til now that my kid is almost 11. So the prices may have gone up.

If you think it’s a one of, then trap it yourself, and seal up the hole with steel wool. We had one of the critters mange to make a little next behind the dish washer, and then there was a nest IN the wall from the outside where there was some piping done, but not totally sealed. We live near a field where they try to come look for shelter when it gets cold, and we were the only house without a dog or cAt.

That was one ur experience.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it bothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
11977 posts
11754 upvotes
Oakville
grumble wrote:
Nov 7th, 2019 7:52 am
Why don't you just kill them yourself with traps? It isn't that hard to do, buy a bunch, leave them around with a bit of peanut butter on them. Combine that with cleaning up your basement (remove junk, seal up organic material) and identifying and sealing entry points with steel wool, and the problem's probably solved.
We had some. I put out a ton of traps, killed them, and sealed up the access holes . I put traps outside as well but in crevasses where only a mouse could get at it so I wouldn't trap the neighbourhood cats.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
1294 posts
1167 upvotes
Vancouver
Find out how they got in and block the access points, keeping in mind a couple of things:
- Mice can squeeze through a very small hole, and those holes can be well hidden
- Mice have an excellent sense of smell, so they can smell food a long way off, and they can smell where a previous trail existed (i.e., they will revisit)
- Mice can chew their way through wood, but not metal, so use metal like steel wool and cut aluminum sheets to block the holes

Ask yourself if there is any potential food in the basement, and is it well sealed inside thick plastic or metal? If not, how can the mice live unless they have access holes where they can go in and out easily? Find those holes!

After sealing the holes, just trap them yourself. DO NOT use poison - the last thing you want is dead mice decaying in the corners of your basement. Use live traps if you're squeamish. But be careful! My cousin had a rat living in the basement of the new rental house they moved into, spotted by the kids. He bought a live trap and put it down there with some food. Not an hour later we heard a *snap*, and went downstairs to find the trap containing one rat. The kids were cheering as my cousin proudly carried the rat outside to the yard and opened the release door. The rat tumbled out, shook itself, and promptly ran back in the open back door and down into the basement again. :)
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
42500 posts
3130 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Scote64 wrote:
Nov 7th, 2019 10:36 am
Find out how they got in and block the access points, keeping in mind a couple of things:
- Mice can squeeze through a very small hole, and those holes can be well hidden
- Mice have an excellent sense of smell, so they can smell food a long way off, and they can smell where a previous trail existed (i.e., they will revisit)
- Mice can chew their way through wood, but not metal, so use metal like steel wool and cut aluminum sheets to block the holes

Ask yourself if there is any potential food in the basement, and is it well sealed inside thick plastic or metal? If not, how can the mice live unless they have access holes where they can go in and out easily? Find those holes!

After sealing the holes, just trap them yourself. DO NOT use poison - the last thing you want is dead mice decaying in the corners of your basement. Use live traps if you're squeamish. But be careful! My cousin had a rat living in the basement of the new rental house they moved into, spotted by the kids. He bought a live trap and put it down there with some food. Not an hour later we heard a *snap*, and went downstairs to find the trap containing one rat. The kids were cheering as my cousin proudly carried the rat outside to the yard and opened the release door. The rat tumbled out, shook itself, and promptly ran back in the open back door and down into the basement again. :)
Pretty much this, and to add on top, if you live trap, it's recommended to throw them out at least 2 miles away from your house, otherwise there's a good chance they find their way back.
***Bosch GLL1P Bright Single Line and Point Combination Laser $25***
Silver Coins | Bosch Combination Laser | Philips Wake-Up Light with Radio
Heatware | RFD Feedback
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 23, 2017
1741 posts
826 upvotes
Scote64 wrote:
Nov 7th, 2019 10:36 am

Jon Lai wrote:
Nov 7th, 2019 11:19 am
Pretty much this, and to add on top, if you live trap, it's recommended to throw them out at least 2 miles away from your house, otherwise there's a good chance they find their way back.
I talked to an exterminator, they want to come and identify the holes and put bait stations. Should I do this? Bait stations are poison arent they? wont they crawl out and die somewhere? All the exterminators that I talked to use the same methods.
Got that Zoomer account!
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
42500 posts
3130 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Nov 7th, 2019 11:56 am
I talked to an exterminator, they want to come and identify the holes and put bait stations. Should I do this? Bait stations are poison arent they? wont they crawl out and die somewhere? All the exterminators that I talked to use the same methods.
Because that's the quickest method to earn your money. The alternative methods require multiple visits, and since people charge per hour/per visit, it would be prohibitively expensive and no home owner would pay for that. That doesn't mean using poison is the best way - it's not. All exterminators will also tell you the poison makes them thirsty and go outside to look for water - this is to prevent people from thinking they will die inside the house, because who wants that? While it might not be completely false, there is no guarantee they won't die inside your house.

The best way, IMO, is to trap and kill them yourself. You're not paying $400-500 - wood traps are $1 each and plastic ones (better, IMO) for $3-5 each.
***Bosch GLL1P Bright Single Line and Point Combination Laser $25***
Silver Coins | Bosch Combination Laser | Philips Wake-Up Light with Radio
Heatware | RFD Feedback
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
1660 posts
937 upvotes
NOT centre of Univer…
Nov 7th, 2019 11:56 am
That's what we did, and still do. It will depend on what kind of poison they use. You want to make sure they use the poison that is quick acting (single feed) and will dehydrate the cells. This will prevent the decomposition. Yes, we did find some mice in unpleasant places. Also, you don't want these poison obviously in the kitchen or food areas, or where kids or pets are. They would use different traps for that.

In our case, we had to bait the whole house because there were everywhere. Living areas did not have the poison, basement, storage, garage, and outside did. That was the other part was the exterminators baited the outside so they never made it in. That's why we are still on a plan, as we have no mouse activity in the house (they put baits in case) a little in the garage, and lots outside.
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
11977 posts
11754 upvotes
Oakville
Live catch and release is a bad choice if you're serious about getting rid of them. If you're neighbours also do it, you're just moving the rodents around the neighbourhood.
Just kill them and toss in garbage.

I use these Victor traps. Make sure to get the all metal ones, as the plastic ones aren't as sensitive/effective.
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/vict ... p.html#srp