Tags:
None
[OP]
Dec 30, 2007
655 posts
55 upvotes
Toronto

Michelin or BF Goodrich

I am looking to change tires on my honda accord.

I am looking for Micheli Primacy which is $153 less $15 each tyre. When I went to Costco, I also noticed BF Goodrich.

Are they equivalent good as Michelin?

Is the Primacy good priced or can I find better price somewhere else.

Thanks for your inputs
9 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
20355 posts
1720 upvotes
leafnation5 wrote:
Oct 8th, 2008 9:39 pm

I am looking for Micheli Primacy which is $153 less $15 each tyre. When I went to Costco, I also noticed BF Goodrich.

Thanks for your inputs
You realise that Michelin and BF Goodrich (tyres) are the same company, right? Also made in the same plants, exact same quality warranty, etc.

There are actually a few BFG tyres that are as good as/better than Michelin equivalents for less money. Most G-Force T/A tyres fall in this category.

PS: With any tyre brand, stay the hell away from the garbage that are all-season tyres.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
15913 posts
1272 upvotes
GTA West
ES_Revenge wrote:
Oct 8th, 2008 9:44 pm
PS: With any tyre brand, stay the hell away from the garbage that are all-season tyres.
Why are all-season tyres garbage in any season except Winter?
- Not Collecting AIR MILES Since 2016/07 -
- Casual Gastronomist -
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
25448 posts
2678 upvotes
Ottawa
Jucius Maximus wrote:
Oct 8th, 2008 10:28 pm
Why are all-season tyres garbage in any season except Winter?
ES has an unhealthy hate on for all season tires (vice tyres) :cheesygri

Oh and Michelin also owns Uniroyal but by no means are the tires all the same. There are still significant differences in tire structure, composition and rubber compounds between the three.
Jan 13, 2007
321 posts
14 upvotes
Barrie
Go with Michelin. In my experience, it's been really good. I dont have Primacy but I use the Energy MXV4. I was told that Primacy was the replacement for my tires. It has a KM warranty that my tires dont have.

BFG... I used it before. If you have a truck for off roading, I would consider this brand. For sedans, I like the performance of a Michelin.

Why would Michelin build better tires and brand it BFG or Uniroyal? Dont you think they would build their flagship name to be the best?
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2007
3339 posts
388 upvotes
Valleywood
leafnation5 wrote:
Oct 8th, 2008 9:39 pm

Thanks for your inputs

You don't mention the tire size, but (if available in your size) you should look at the Goodyear Tripletred (not the ComfortTred!), which is an excellent tire with outstanding wet road handling. There should be a cost savings in the Goodyear versus Michelin and you can use Bramalea Tire for price lookup (but call for current pricing).
[OP]
Dec 30, 2007
655 posts
55 upvotes
Toronto
fastlayne wrote:
Oct 9th, 2008 8:55 am
You don't mention the tire size, but (if available in your size) you should look at the Goodyear Tripletred (not the ComfortTred!), which is an excellent tire with outstanding wet road handling. There should be a cost savings in the Goodyear versus Michelin and you can use Bramalea Tire for price lookup (but call for current pricing).

the size is 195/65 R15 89H.
Costco told me that Primacy is replacement for Energy

Is the price good for Primacy or can I get better deal.
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2007
3111 posts
242 upvotes
Oct 15 onwards till Nov something, $50 mail in rebate for Michelin tires
[OP]
Dec 30, 2007
655 posts
55 upvotes
Toronto
Engi-Nir wrote:
Oct 9th, 2008 12:17 pm
Oct 15 onwards till Nov something, $50 mail in rebate for Michelin tires
Costco is giving $15 cash rebate on each tire until Oct 12 plus car matts free for executive members ( which I am since I joined in 2001)
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
20355 posts
1720 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote:
Oct 9th, 2008 8:19 am
ES has an unhealthy hate on for all season tires (vice tyres) :cheesygri
:D But it's healthy, those things ought to be banned.
Pete_Coach wrote:
Oct 9th, 2008 8:19 am
Oh and Michelin also owns Uniroyal but by no means are the tires all the same. There are still significant differences in tire structure, composition and rubber compounds between the three.
Indeed. I didn't mean to say that any given Michelin tyre is exactly the same as any other BF G tyre, but I was just saying it's the same company and that there are indeed BF G tyres that leave "competing" Michelins in the dust in terms of price/performance.
xeryusdvirus wrote:
Oct 9th, 2008 8:43 am
Go with Michelin. In my experience, it's been really good. I dont have Primacy but I use the Energy MXV4. I was told that Primacy was the replacement for my tires. It has a KM warranty that my tires dont have.

BFG... I used it before. If you have a truck for off roading, I would consider this brand. For sedans, I like the performance of a Michelin.
ROTFLMAO. So wait you use all-season tyres (like the MXV4) and then you're talking about how you like "performance"??? Jokes. :lol:

Also "if you have a truck for off roading"??? :confused: Where the heck did you dream up that line? Totally stupid comment. It never ceases to amaze me, the nonsense people say on this forum.

I would take a set of G-Force T/A KDW tyres any day over some garbage all-season like the MXV4 and run circles around you and your "performance" tyres :rolleyes: while doing so. Heck I'll do you one better and run over some glass bottles while doing it and not even flinch LOL. (Yes I actually did mistakedly run over and crushed a glass bottle with my KDWs when I had them, and they were no worse for wear.) I'm pretty sure I drove those tyres harder than you've driven any MXV4s, and believe you me they held up pretty damn well.

Not to mention KDWs aren't even that great compared to their competition anymore, but they are still far more of a performance tyre than the MXV4 will ever be. A far cry from off roading in a truck.
xeryusdvirus wrote:
Oct 9th, 2008 8:43 am
Why would Michelin build better tires and brand it BFG or Uniroyal? Dont you think they would build their flagship name to be the best?
Well with tyres it doesn't always work that way. Just because a tyre is relatively expensive doesn't mean it automatically wins, nor does it mean it's built significantly better. And as for build quality, there is certainly nothing wrong with most BF G rubber. I'm not sure about UniRoyal ('cause I never really looked into buying any of those) but the quality warranties on BF G and Michelin are identical--pretty much word for word--the same warranty statement with different covers.
× < >