Tags:
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
8661 posts
1076 upvotes
Montreal, QC

Are Michelin stars overrated?

Now let me preface this post by stating that I'm not saying Michelin star places are bad, or that I "know better"; I'm wondering about the more recent popularity of the Michelin star restaurants and whether people accord a high degree of importance to them when visiting/traveling to a city and finding dining options.

Also, I noticed that Michelin Bib Gourmand, their other award based on ‘good quality, good value restaurants’ is almost completely in the dark for most people, despite it being the one that should be for the more accessible foodies.

I've dabbled in both and I've had my share of good, bad and amazing places with both stars and bibs, but was wondering at other people's experiences.
21 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
3447 posts
1420 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
I've dined at 5 Michelin-macarooned restaurants (all except one were 1-macaroon, and excluding the descendant of Yong Kee in WanChai) in France and Italy. Other than service, the quality of food and the depth and complexity of flavour is what, I think, makes it.

One of them a few times (relatively-cheap lunches) over a couple of decades and the quality and style has never been a let down, even with the sons of one of the co-founding chefs succeeding their father. OTH, the restaurant run by the children of the father founding chef (he took over their parent's hotel restaurant) was a bit of a let down for a single cheap lunch. Also went to one in marsh and it was good but the local penchant for bitterness in flavours wasn't to my liking.

One at a hotel (3 macaroon, never been to any 2s) was superb but very expensive. Then again, it was the price of 4-5 good restaurant meals, and I think it's better to have1 superb meal than 4-5 merely-o.k. ones at home (it costs well over $100/2 persons for a 2-3 course in my locality, without wine and before taxes/tip). The other 1-macaroon in nearby but seemingly remote locallity was superb in its understated presentation of fresh produce (in November). So good we ate there 2x during our 3 day stay. Very reasonably priced for what you got.

Don't have a Michelin guide so don;t know which recommended places I've been to (there have been some).

Michelin does not macaroon Canada but only 2 restaurants I've been to would have been candidates (IMO). First was a meal at Toqué in your neck of the woods over 10 years ago. 2nd visit 2 years ago was a let down (could be seasons, autumn vs early spring) and the other Sooke Harbour House in my locality.
Last edited by thriftshopper on Dec 19th, 2019 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 19, 2006
8344 posts
3263 upvotes
Toronto
I still find it surprising that no Canadian restaurant has received a Michelin Star.
Sharing is Caring - Without people sharing info, these forums would not exist and no one would benefit from it. Don't be selfish.

They really need to show who downvotes so we can find out the mofus is
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
3447 posts
1420 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Pochacco wrote: I still find it surprising that no Canadian restaurant has received a Michelin Star.
Methinks Michelin just doesn't think we're worth the cost and resources other than an old tyre factory.

Might to too small and too widely-dispersed a market (not concentrated enough) and just not have the money.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7693 posts
1545 upvotes
I was lucky enough to have visited a few in my travels, mostly in Europe. My experience has honestly been mixed, some were very good, best meals I ever had... Others felt way over hyped and expensive, probably got a star for being unique, not solely because they have the greatest food, I imagined.

Keep in mind too there are a lot of places that trick you as well, they would stay open long enough for the Michelin Star status but then the chef that got the star would move on and no longer there on a permanent basics. They would then just be running under the direction/recipes but the food is cooked by other chefs.

So now I would confirm with travelling sites, local dinning reviews and so on for a real sense of the place and not just trust a single source or however busy/expensive/highly rated the place may appear.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2005
4014 posts
2666 upvotes
Toronto
Mostly no. Not overrated.

I've been to about 10 michelin starred restaurants and most are outstanding. There were a few 1 starred restaurants that were good value too (mostly in New York and Chicago).

I'm sure there would be quite a few michelin starred restaurants in Canada if they were to rate it here.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7693 posts
1545 upvotes
Is called The Curse of The Michelin Star, it totally is a double-edged sword.
UrbanPoet wrote: I heard some restaurants ask for their michelin star to be removed!
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
26045 posts
11491 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote: I heard some restaurants ask for their michelin star to be removed!
It's true.
it's a stressful thing because your popularity is going to explode overnight.
So you have to maintain that quality except now you're doing 5x the covers.
It's a bunch of added pressure which if you're not chasing stars can just add to your workload.
Nov 9, 2013
991 posts
1245 upvotes
Scarborough
So over-rated that executive chef and restaurateur Marco Pierre White, who had tutored the likes of Gordon Ramsay; had given back his Michelin 3 stars he had received as the youngest chef ever to achieve a rating due to the overly demanding pressure it brought upon running his restaurants. Since, he is still regarded as among the best in the business.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
41960 posts
5530 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
Strafe1 wrote: So over-rated that executive chef and restaurateur Marco Pierre White, who had tutored the likes of Gordon Ramsay; had given back his Michelin 3 stars he had received as the youngest chef ever to achieve a rating due to the overly demanding pressure it brought upon running his restaurants. Since, he is still regarded as among the best in the business.
Wow gordon rAmsay. He is super famous.
Nov 9, 2013
991 posts
1245 upvotes
Scarborough
UrbanPoet wrote: Wow gordon rAmsay. He is super famous.
I had just randomly come across seeing MPW on YouTube this past year. Absolutely love his presentation style. Gives the open-mindedness in cooking dishes in terms of options that Ramsay has always opposed and insists on doing things only how he sees them. A cool customer. Though he was quite tough in his younger days when he was a rising chef and teaching guys like Ramsay. So much, that one time he made Ramsay actually cry! Imagine having the ability to do that to a guy like Ramsay from what we have known him over the recent years.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
18908 posts
3565 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
I find it really depends on the place. It's a case by case basis. I visited 4 Michelin star places when I visited Taiwan this year. They ranged from 'Good' ("Din Tai Fung") to life-changing ("Liu Shandong Beef Noodle"). Surprisingly, I found that the cheapest ones were the most enjoyable.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
6501 posts
2695 upvotes
Pochacco wrote: I still find it surprising that no Canadian restaurant has received a Michelin Star.
Immature restaurant industry. You'd need to have around 300 mature stable restaurants worth zero to 3 stars across Canada to make a guide viable. The whole industry has to be at a certain level, not just one restaurant.

(Sushi) Masaki Saito left NYC where he had 2 stars to come to Toronto. I am sure the quality is here, just not the quantity.