Students

Michener Institute for Applied Health Sciences - 2017 Admissions

  • Last Updated:
  • Aug 29th, 2017 3:52 pm
Newbie
Apr 17, 2017
26 posts
1 upvote
gguest52 wrote:
May 15th, 2017 9:57 pm
For all those that are waiting on UofT joint application, it's best to check the undergraduate application portal as others have mentioned. I have yet to receive an email about an offer of admission, but the front page of the portal says "admitted" underneath the status column, which I believe was screen shotted and uploaded by another user. I checked OUAC today and noticed that they updated the choice/offers page & my offer was there. I'm assuming the first round of offers are out & another wave will be sent after the offer expires. If I can recall correctly, the expiration was May 25th for myself. Hopefully this helps anyone who is waiting for the UofT/Michener offers!
Do you have your bachelor already? The thing is it seems like people with a degree and the status says transcript reviewed have been given admission decision. Ones who are undergraduates and transcript shows not yet reviewed have not heard back anything.. We should at least get some form of notification like rejection or waitlist? I emailed them today and they said they are still in the process of coding to show decisions, so I'm not sure if that has to do with anything..
Newbie
May 14, 2017
3 posts
zxhy17 wrote:
May 15th, 2017 10:34 pm
Do you have your bachelor already? The thing is it seems like people with a degree and the status says transcript reviewed have been given admission decision. Ones who are undergraduates and transcript shows not yet reviewed have not heard back anything.. We should at least get some form of notification like rejection or waitlist? I emailed them today and they said they are still in the process of coding to show decisions, so I'm not sure if that has to do with anything..
I do have my bachelors, but the status of my "official" transcript has not been reviewed. I don't know if that's what everyone is talking about, but I have attached an image if that helps.
Images
  • Untitled.jpg
Newbie
Apr 28, 2017
10 posts
Hd0101 wrote:
May 15th, 2017 4:40 pm
Did you get an offer for Respiratory Therapy?
Not sure if you were asking me but yes, I did!
Jr. Member
Oct 28, 2015
104 posts
12 upvotes
Vancouver
2835850 wrote:
May 15th, 2017 9:16 pm
Okay, a lot of misinformed statements have been put forth about the Chiropody profession in this thread. Some true, some false.

One individual in this thread has made a number of negative assertions as to why there is only one English speaking chiropody school in Canada. Allow me to expand. The profession itself is very new (first introduced in the 1970's or 1980's) compared to other long standing fields (such as dentistry, medicine, etc.), and expansion of a new program simply does not materialise within a few decades. The US on the other hand has had the profession since the early 20th century, and paired with their proportionally larger population, the field has flourished with many reputable institutions offering podiatry programs. I am certainly not saying that Canadian chiropodists are equal in education with US podiatrists, but I am shedding some insight on the matter. Our program in Canada came about due to a growing demand of the population in need of foot care—especially given the growing senior/diabetic population. To match this demand, the college is pushing for changes to advance the profession in the direction of the US model (I will get into this later). The barriers that were mentioned (namely that of BC and AB) are indeed correct, however they will soon be abolished according to the College. It is completely nonsensical (and downright unconstitutional) to discriminate Canadian grads from working in Canadian provinces, and hire only foreign grads. Besides, not enough US podiatrists are coming to Canada to supply the demand; there are only about 25 of them in Ontario and less than 100 for the rest of the country. Quebec operates under its own jurisdiction since the school there is only french-speaking; hence I cannot comment much on that. Instead of checking outdated Wikipedia sources, I invite those who are interested to read the college reports on the new changes that are being brought forth to ministry of healthcare. They’re hundreds of pages long, but you will only find the true current state and future scope of chiropody therein.

Simply searching for "chiropody jobs" on google is a perfunctory effort at gauging the job market for a profession (particularly for professional healthcare careers). "Indeed jobs" and all those other casual job boards are seldom used by employers because of their lack of reputability and formality. Reputable Chiropody job postings are typically found on the closed-board college site, hospital boards, and established organisation sites (Ontario Society of Chiropodists, Canadian Federation of Podiatric Medicine, etc.). From what I have seen in the industry and having spoken to employers/professors, new chiropodist grads have had absolutely no trouble finding new jobs; moreover, they will often be hired by their clinical rotation sites. By their final year of chiropody, it is not uncommon for students to be privately contacted by somewhere between 1 to 4 employers for job offers. The main issue encountered is choosing, of these offers, a location/salary that suits you. The market in Toronto is not under-saturated per se, but considering that people are still opening up clinics in the downtown core, there is certainly demand all over the GTA. I know of chiropodists who have waiting lists that span months. If you're extremely money hungry and want to make 250 k +, the opportunity is certainly there, so long as you are willing to move farther from Toronto.

Another comment was made about chiropody salaries. First of all, the sunshine list posts salaries that are PUBLICLY FUNDED (i.e. taxpayer money... so those that work for hospitals, universities, the government, etc. will be on this list). Not many chiropodists work in hospitals because the pay is lower (high 50 k to 70 k ish) than working in a private practice and you don't get to call your own shots (I might add that despite the lower pay, you get health benefits and pension which is something you cannot get in private practice). The point is, many chiropodists make 6 fig's but will not be on that list simply because the majority of us are not publicly funded by tax payer money. It is correct that chiropodists do not bill for OHIP (apart from the ones that work in a hospital), however this was a decision that was pushed by the college a while back. Many years ago, chiropodists were able to bill only for OHIP, but due to monetary caps per patient, the college fought for billing to happen solely through insurance companies or straight from pocket. Dentistry took the same approach; originally they only had OHIP coverage but went for insurance instead because of the high costs of their treatment. Likewise with our profession, since treatments and orthotics can cost anywhere from 100 to 800 dollars, it is illogical to bill for OHIP if the government can only allocate less than 100 dollars per patient for coverage.

That being said, MLS, ultrasound, and all the other programs offered at Michener sound great too, and chiropody certainly is not for everyone. I am merely here to dispel and confirm some of the comments that were made earlier. For prospective students who are interested in chiropody, I'll lay down my personal two cents of the advantages and disadvantages of the profession. (see next post)
Thanks for your inputs, although you only made 2 posts from a freshly new account that an user just created, your inputs are a lot better than the others before you. Unlike the others, who kept using "You are wrong because I am right" argument, at least there is something to argue in what you say.

You agreed with a few things and you disagreed with a few things I said, so I will only talk about the disagreements.

1) QC and AB are very recent addition to the chiropodist ban-list, this is a contradictory move from what you suggested. You are saying that Michener is telling you that it will get better and that the other provinces would change their mind. But like I said, AB and QC are very recent changes, it is not like all those provinces banned Chiropodists in 1993 or something. When it is something recent, it makes you think whether or not that change is coming. Now of course, we are at a standstill, you are saying that michener is right, I am looking at provinces following through to ban chiropodist in their jurisdiction.

Is it impossible for them to change my mind? I don't know, but based on what I am looking at right now(2017 May 15th) it looks like a decline. I think any logical person would be evidence-based, instead of betting on what will-be happening. Do you have evidence OUTSIDE of Michener, saying that those provinces will accept chiropodist in the future?

I think not.

2) Like I said, I have heard it all before, Coordinators telling students that "Indeed doesn't show all jobs because the available jobs are all hush-hush", OR "they are all in a website that you get accessed to AFTER you graduate".

I understand, because me, and a few years of students, were all victims of that, from a prestigious program no less.

Again... is it possible that you could be right, that graduating students will access to private email offering jobs, or a regulating body website which you can only access to when you graduate? It is possible, but like I said before, things like this (which is exactly what you are describing right now) happened already, and left many students without jobs.

Don't take my experience because I am indeed biased in this issue. Look at the evidence, listen to what I am about to say and see if it is logical to you, which one is more believable.

Statement A) MLT has a lot of job opportunities, they have public jobs(Indeed, etc), they also get jobs that come in private emails.
Statement B) Chiropody has a lot of job opportunities, they DON'T have as much public jobs(Indeed, etc), They get jobs that come in private emails.

You see, both statements CAN be true, but one of them is more likely to happen.

If I show you 2 boxes, I tell you box A has 1000$ for sure, but box B MIGHT have 1000$. Which one do you pick? This is simple logic here. It is illogical to pick box B because of something that MIGHT happen as opposed to something that WILL happen for sure.

3) Again, the sunshine list being public is the same logical fallacy as the 2nd point.
Yes, chiropodists can get in private practice, and yes in theory they can make over 100k. But it is NOT shown.

I see a public survey that has much confidence, been running for years or decades, saying that MLT can make 100k(public), but NOT saying that chiropodists can make 100k(public). One of them is provided with evidence, one of them is not.

1 box is shown to have 1000$ inside(public income), another box MIGHT have 1000$ inside(private income), which do you pick?

Again, simple logic.

4) You are saying that if you are not money hungry, then you can work part time, but if you want money, you can take another part time job.

This is not a perk. anyone with half a brain knows that if you don't make enough money, you can add another job.

A job is good when it is the only job you need, and enough to make you rich.

Have you ever heard that if a surgeon wants more money, he should just work a 2nd job? No, because surgeons are perfectly fine working full time, they don't need to work part time, so they can use that part time to find another part time job, BECAUSE their full time is already good enough.

The only people who need multiple jobs, is because each job is not good enough. I know a waitress who has been working 3 jobs with kids, she is not having a perk, she would rather work 1 full time job that has an equal pay.

Same applies to MLT,
"if you are a MLT and you are money hungry, get a 2nd job!!! so easy, BETTER yet, add a business on the side!!!"

It is not a perk just for chiropody.

5) All I am trying to say, this entire time, is that MLT has more job opportunity than Chiropodists. Sure you can say there are secretive things that are happening behind the scenes, and that your friends are making tons of money. but those are just anecdotal. I would rather look at reputable sources, and surveys, and the (visible) job market as evidences, instead of your friends, secret email jobs, graduated-access-only job board.
Newbie
Apr 17, 2017
26 posts
1 upvote
gguest52 wrote:
May 15th, 2017 10:46 pm
I do have my bachelors, but the status of my "official" transcript has not been reviewed. I don't know if that's what everyone is talking about, but I have attached an image if that helps.
This is what mine looks like..
Images
  • image.jpeg
Newbie
May 13, 2017
7 posts
Hi 2835850,

I want to first thank you for the insight into the program. I admit that some of my original research was based on google which yield very little information about the profession and made hesitant about it. However, after reading yours and Misssim post I am much more reassured about Chiropody.
2835850 wrote:
May 15th, 2017 9:21 pm
(continued chiropody post)

1) The vast majority of grads will go on to opening their own clinic. From what I've gauged from the industry, it usually takes anywhere from 3 to 8 years to do so. And no, you don't need to be stupidly wealthy beforehand to open one (those who own clinics now can attest to this). The money is good in this profession, and you'll be making enough to open a clinic within a few years; you'll likely be opening earlier if you team up with other chiropodists/healthcare professionals, which is definitely not uncommon. The real disadvantage to this is that running a clinic can be extremely stressful, and not everyone wants to be an entrepreneur. I know of a few older chiropodists who have never opened their own clinic and are happy with working at 3 different clinics throughout the week. Their combined pay is still great (6 figs), and you don't have to deal with the hassle of owning a business.

2) Flexibility of the profession is definitely a huge advantage. If you aren't incredibly money hungry and are happy with making 50 k, then you can just work part time for 3 days a week. If you want to make 6 figs, take on another part time job. It's very common for chiropodists to be working PT at multiple locations; although, the con I see in this is driving to different locations across the GTA throughout the week, which can understandably be cumbersome to some. If you want to make exuberantly HUGE bucks, the opportunity is there, you just need to move far from Toronto (again, not ideal for some but fine for others who want to get their name out there). If you love dealing with ulcers and scrubbing up/doing surgery every day, try for hospital position. If you love biomechanics, plenty of clinics specialize in that. Unfortunately, this flexibility is limited to Ontario and the provinces that you are able to practice in, but as I said earlier, this is subject to change in the coming years.

3) Because the profession is so new in Canada, a lot of changes are happening. For instance, they are removing the term “chiropody” because it is outdated and obsolete (according to the latest HPRAC update, which is a whole other story). The term “podiatrist” will replace, and those trained from the states will be known as “podiatric surgeons”. Apart from that, a lot of changes are foreseen to happen in regards to our scope of practice. One such change is allowing us to perform bone surgery (currently we are restricted to nerves and tissue) due to the high demand and exceedingly long waiting lists for bunion surgery in Ontario. Another is adding more drugs (notably opiates) to the official list that we are able to prescribe (the current list of drugs we can prescribe/inject can be found here https://www.ontario.ca/laws/regulation/r08338). This may be regarded as both a positive and a negative. Positive, in the sense that the curriculum and scope is expanding, but negative in that many graduated chiropodists will have to come back for retraining. Indeed, we are adequately trained in bone surgery at Michener as many of our profs are US podiatrists, but officially being able to do this requires surgical residencies to be put in place (much like the US model). So yes, it is an exciting time to be in a growing profession, but downsides are inevitable as well.

ANYWAY, I apologize deeply to the rest of the applicants here for inundating the thread with chiropody posts. A lot of people have been wondering about the profession so I feel it's best to shed some light in this forum. Good luck to the rest of you, and warm wishes for your future endeavours on whatever program you choose!
Jr. Member
Oct 28, 2015
104 posts
12 upvotes
Vancouver
zxhy17 wrote:
May 15th, 2017 11:46 pm
This is what mine looks like..
Did you get school to send transcript to ontariocolleges, or UofT or Michener?

Maybe that changes things.
Newbie
Apr 17, 2017
26 posts
1 upvote
They said it's not required since the school can access it directly.. And it says there they will arrange it for me to be submitted... So I actually dunno if they received it or not.. Since there is no check mark beside it I assume maybe not..? I will email them again tomorrow to ask..
Jr. Member
Oct 28, 2015
104 posts
12 upvotes
Vancouver
zxhy17 wrote:
May 15th, 2017 11:57 pm
They said it's not required since the school can access it directly.. And it says there they will arrange it for me to be submitted... So I actually dunno if they received it or not.. Since there is no check mark beside it I assume maybe not..? I will email them again tomorrow to ask..
emailing is good, I had some admin problem last year, but sorted out by emailing.

But I think it is ok, I think if you send transcript to ontariocollege, then it would show up as received, if you send to michener, it won't show as received, but it doesn't matter because ontariocollege doesn't give you offer, michener does. And michener would have your required documents.

but always check first, it is possible for it to get lost in during transit.
Newbie
Apr 16, 2017
8 posts
2 upvotes
ok so I originally posted that I got into Ultrasound, Chiropody, and MLS and needed advice between accepting Ultrasound or Chiropody.

A lot of people here told me Ultrasound was the better choice. I also followed up on a few friends who are currently chiropodists and they are only making 40k a year and that it's hard to find a job. However, this is in Toronto where it is very saturated so keep that in mind.

I also did a bit of research and Ultrasound has more potential with respect to job security since very few graduate each year and advancement since Michener also provides MRI and other imaging courses to supplement after you graduate from ultrasound.

Chiropody seems like a great career if everything goes accordingly - being able to find a full time job or opening your own clinic with a good customer base and location of practice. However, for me personally it is too risky and one of my poor qualities is that I'm not a risk taker. I've worked in a pharmacy for three years and I know patients don't like paying out of their own pocket and like to rely on the government or insurance. Chiropodists cannot bill OHIP but some insurances will cover for it. Nevertheless, a bulk of the people who have foot problems are the elderly and they rely mostly on the government. I really did sit down and weighed out the pros and cons of this profession. I feel like if Chiropody is something you want to do as a career, go for it but really sit down and do some research and reflection before you click that accept button.

I also applied to uoft pharmacy and acceptance will be sent out mid June but I'm reconsidering it since in Toronto it is so saturated. I have a lot of pharmacy background and I'm an insider so I really know what's going on behind the scenes. Yes pharmacists have great pay if you can secure a job but it does come with a lot of stress. Most of the pharmacists I know work part time or as a relief because they can't find employment - some graduated from uoft and some are very experienced. A lot of independent pharmacies also fail because they don't have enough customers or have questionable activities. So these are a few things I wanted to explain with regards to reflecting on whether I should choose this profession. Not just job prospective and pay but also the amount of work, stress, and legal issues.
Jr. Member
Oct 28, 2015
104 posts
12 upvotes
Vancouver
nrachel wrote:
May 16th, 2017 12:23 am
ok so I originally posted that I got into Ultrasound, Chiropody, and MLS and needed advice between accepting Ultrasound or Chiropody.

A lot of people here told me Ultrasound was the better choice. I also followed up on a few friends who are currently chiropodists and they are only making 40k a year and that it's hard to find a job. However, this is in Toronto where it is very saturated so keep that in mind.

I also did a bit of research and Ultrasound has more potential with respect to job security since very few graduate each year and advancement since Michener also provides MRI and other imaging courses to supplement after you graduate from ultrasound.

Chiropody seems like a great career if everything goes accordingly - being able to find a full time job or opening your own clinic with a good customer base and location of practice. However, for me personally it is too risky and one of my poor qualities is that I'm not a risk taker. I've worked in a pharmacy for three years and I know patients don't like paying out of their own pocket and like to rely on the government or insurance. Chiropodists cannot bill OHIP but some insurances will cover for it. Nevertheless, a bulk of the people who have foot problems are the elderly and they rely mostly on the government. I really did sit down and weighed out the pros and cons of this profession. I feel like if Chiropody is something you want to do as a career, go for it but really sit down and do some research and reflection before you click that accept button.

I also applied to uoft pharmacy and acceptance will be sent out mid June but I'm reconsidering it since in Toronto it is so saturated. I have a lot of pharmacy background and I'm an insider so I really know what's going on behind the scenes. Yes pharmacists have great pay if you can secure a job but it does come with a lot of stress. Most of the pharmacists I know work part time or as a relief because they can't find employment - some graduated from uoft and some are very experienced. A lot of independent pharmacies also fail because they don't have enough customers or have questionable activities. So these are a few things I wanted to explain with regards to reflecting on whether I should choose this profession. Not just job prospective and pay but also the amount of work, stress, and legal issues.
yup, that's right.

Both pharmacists and chiropodist can do public or private practice, but pharmacist job market is a lot bigger, and pay is a lot higher.

If someone is arguing between Chiropodist, and MLT, there are arguments from both sides, and I am taking side for MLT.

but if someone is arguing between Pharmacists and chiropodists, there is no contest. Pharmacist is the far better choice unless you hate pharmacy, lol.
Jr. Member
Oct 28, 2015
104 posts
12 upvotes
Vancouver
HannaK wrote:
May 16th, 2017 12:38 am
I think both pharmacy and ultrasound are pretty great choices but with pharmacy the pay is better. It really depends on how confident you are in securing a job through where you currently work. There are ton of ultrasound jobs so i don't think you'll struggle with finding a job after graduating.
Just a little note: Ultrasound is more physically demanding ( depends on where you work) and depending on the weight of the patient and other factors, you do apply a lot pressure and may have to move patients.
and also, for me, being a male, sonographer jobs would a bit difficult, but still relatively easy to find jobs.

I was denial MMI last year, so not going to waste a choice this year.

But I would be happy to get in.
Newbie
May 14, 2017
3 posts
zxhy17 wrote:
May 15th, 2017 11:46 pm
This is what mine looks like..
I would assume they've received/have access to your transcript based on the green check by the transcript to date. I do recall UofT students not having to submit their transcripts because the school was able to access it since they would already have it on record. However, to be on the safe side I would definitely double check and call them like NMtech suggested. Hopefully everything works out & that the coding is just delaying offers!

Top