Students

Michener Institute for Applied Health Sciences - 2017 Admissions

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 1st, 2017 3:52 pm
Jul 30, 2017
2 posts
Hello everyone ,

I need advice. I really do not know what should i choose.

I got offer of admission from two place and I do not know what is better:

1) Respiratory therapy

Advance Diploma from Michener

duration - 3 years

or

2) Medical Radiation Science,

Collaborative diploma-degree science from McMaster/Mahawk

-Ontario Collage Advance Diploma in Health Science AND
- Bachelor of Medical Radiation Science

duration 4 years

What should I choose?

Thank you so much for idea.
Jan 23, 2016
34 posts
9 upvotes
Hamilton
ksjywa wrote:
Aug 3rd, 2017 10:36 am
Hello everyone ,

I need advice. I really do not know what should i choose.

I got offer of admission from two place and I do not know what is better:

1) Respiratory therapy

Advance Diploma from Michener

duration - 3 years

or

2) Medical Radiation Science,

Collaborative diploma-degree science from McMaster/Mahawk

-Ontario Collage Advance Diploma in Health Science AND
- Bachelor of Medical Radiation Science

duration 4 years

What should I choose?

Thank you so much for idea.
I have a friend who was graduate from medical radiation science program in McMaster/Mohawk 5 years ago and she has been a ultrasound Sonographer since then. She has two part time positions in Toronto General Hospital and another one which I cannot remember. The pay is good, roughly $40 per hour. The drawback is nowadays it is a little difficult to find a full time position. That is why she has two part time jobs.

I don't know anyone who is taking respiratory therapy so I cannot give you a bold guess.

In my opinion, both of them are good health science programs. But McMaster/Mohawk takes longer because it rewards you a degree rather than a diploma. Michener is very famous in applied health science within Ontario and no other college can beat it.

In sum, you have to consider many aspects before making the final decision, such as location, tuition, program length, career perspective, etc.

However, the most important thing is "INTEREST". That is the driven power for you to devote yourself into it with minimum complaints.

Just imaging doing a job that you hate for your rest of life. That is horrible.

So do the things that interest you most, and finally all your efforts will be rewarded.

Good luck!
Apr 28, 2017
10 posts
Hi!

Does anyone know where and when students can access information about textbooks etc. Is there a Facebook group (specifically for the Respiratory therapy program). Thanks in advance!
Apr 11, 2016
70 posts
10 upvotes
MK1995 wrote:
Aug 13th, 2017 5:18 pm
Hi!

Does anyone know where and when students can access information about textbooks etc. Is there a Facebook group (specifically for the Respiratory therapy program). Thanks in advance!
The textbook list is accessible on their website (Google it).
Oct 16, 2015
6 posts
1 upvote
Norval, ON
Hi everyone! I was wondering if any first year students have blackboard access yet?
Apr 11, 2016
70 posts
10 upvotes
santoro17 wrote:
Aug 28th, 2017 12:02 pm
Hi everyone! I was wondering if any first year students have blackboard access yet?
Short answer: Yes. It's probably better to wait for the administration to email you about it though ...
Oct 6, 2017
1 posts
Hello Everyone,
I am also looking to apply for the Radiology/ Respiratory programs at Michener. I was just wondering what the cut off was for the grades. My grades aren't the best so I'm worried that I will not get as far as the MMI. Please help me with this dilemma. If I have a better understanding of the grades, I will just have to choose another option from Seneca even though I didn't find a great program there yet.
Thanks
Nov 19, 2017
2 posts
does anyone know the approximate cut-off for grades for the medical lab sciences program? what high school averages did you have? do you know what a good competitive average would be? thanks!
May 11, 2017
12 posts
2 upvotes
minhasf wrote:
Nov 20th, 2017 1:44 pm
does anyone know the approximate cut-off for grades for the medical lab sciences program? what high school averages did you have? do you know what a good competitive average would be? thanks!
From what I remember in the past, your high school average needs to be at least 85% or higher to get an interview. It may have gone up since then.
Nov 19, 2017
2 posts
14MLTgrad wrote:
Nov 27th, 2017 1:20 pm
From what I remember in the past, your high school average needs to be at least 85% or higher to get an interview. It may have gone up since then.
hmm okay! i've heard people usually have 90s, so im worried about that!
May 11, 2017
12 posts
2 upvotes
minhasf wrote:
Nov 30th, 2017 5:30 pm
hmm okay! i've heard people usually have 90s, so im worried about that!
I mean yeah most people who get accepted probably have 90s.