Students

Michener Institute for Applied Health Sciences - 2018 Admissions

Jul 30, 2017
5 posts
anxious123 wrote:
Jun 6th, 2018 6:04 pm
Hi, I recently got accepted to chiropody and i'm waiting for ultrasound. I was wondering if you guys could help me out there. Basically, there was this post on a different forum saying how do you think it is a dying field because other provinces like Quebec and Alberta have decided to join the profession in favor of specialized doctors. So I was wondering what peoples opinions or views were on this topic? or even better, if someone from chiropody who recently graduated had any insight? Is it really a field where it's so hard to find jobs that it's not really safe to do it?
I don't know about chiropody after but during study it is very intense program and prepare you very well for the job .....

Actually, I heard bad reviews about ultrasound - that it doesn't cover a lot of topics like others colleges (vascular, musculoskeletal., pediatric), they teach only abdominal & obstetrics/ginegocogy , also many students had issues during clinical practice... but it is shorter program...

Although, Michener's reputation is very good generally...
Jan 25, 2017
1 posts
I only got "You are still on the waitlist for this program". No mention of top-ranked candidate. Maybe this means you have better chance of getting in ;) Best of luck!
May 8, 2018
7 posts
2 upvotes
AnaU41709 wrote:
Jun 6th, 2018 3:13 pm
I also got an email this morning saying I'm a "top-ranked candidate on the waitlist". But what does this mean?!? Did everyone on the waitlist get this email?

My MLS waitlist email didn't say I was a "top candidate" so I imagine you still have some hope :)
May 1, 2018
18 posts
2 upvotes
With the class sizes so small, does anyone have any numbers on how many people actually graduate?
May 11, 2018
14 posts
3 upvotes
Does anyone know, how many people they put waitlisted, how many they going to take?
May 15, 2018
13 posts
8 upvotes
AbedaS54764 wrote:
Jun 7th, 2018 7:41 am
Does anyone know, how many people they put waitlisted, how many they going to take?
It's my understanding that everyone who got an interview and didn't get in is waitlisted.

"Applicants will be re-ranked after the results of the MMI are incorporated. Offers of Admission will be sent out in mid-May to top ranked candidates. All other candidates will be placed on a wait list."

Thats from the admissions website.
Apr 30, 2018
2 posts
Has anyone who's been accepted received an email/mail giving you additional information? My original acceptance letter said they would send info regarding next steps "after June 1" and I'm starting to get antsy
May 11, 2017
60 posts
24 upvotes
EllenS1825 wrote:
Jun 7th, 2018 7:55 pm
Has anyone who's been accepted received an email/mail giving you additional information? My original acceptance letter said they would send info regarding next steps "after June 1" and I'm starting to get antsy
I know! I haven’t gotten any more info yet either
Feb 28, 2018
32 posts
16 upvotes
While waiting for my acceptance for Respiratory therapy (🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻).. I’d like to know some insights or opinions.

I have an acceptance for nursing school, but my first choice was michere’s RT. However, I’ve been hearing horror stories (from new grads, old grads, students) about how job market for RT in Ontario looks like. It sounds like it’s been super saturated for past several years, and pretty hard to get a full time job at hospitals. Some end up in sales for medical machine as there’s no job opening for new grads. OR being sent to Halifax, Edmonton, BC

Now that I’m worried about getting job as RT, I’m kinda torn between just withdrawing myself from waitlist and just sticking to waiting for an acceptance and do it.

Any thoughts?
May 15, 2018
13 posts
8 upvotes
I would say just stick to it and see what the outcome is so you're not always wondering. You can always turn it down if you get in. Idk anything about RT but my family is full of nurses and I know that in nursing, there are job opportunities and there are plenty of routes you can take with it so its really a diverse profession. If the job market is slow for RT and you got into nursing, I would definitely advise you to do that.
Jun 4, 2018
2 posts
Can't speak much about RTs, but as a nurse myself there are tons of jobs everywhere! Even lots of travel nursing opportunities, if you are interested in that. And also nursing jobs are so diverse; there's so many different specialties you can focus on. Tons of my recent nurse grad friends have full time positions within a year of becoming a nurse. So yes, lots of jobs available but being a nurse isn't easy, so make sure you really want to dedicate yourself to patient care :)
May 15, 2018
5 posts
2 upvotes
Hey guys!

Just got into radiation therapy! Can't wait to meet everyone in September!! Also good luck for those still waiting!
May 14, 2018
4 posts
ah thank you so much for your help!
ksjywa wrote:
Jun 6th, 2018 8:05 pm
I don't know about chiropody after but during study it is very intense program and prepare you very well for the job .....

Actually, I heard bad reviews about ultrasound - that it doesn't cover a lot of topics like others colleges (vascular, musculoskeletal., pediatric), they teach only abdominal & obstetrics/ginegocogy , also many students had issues during clinical practice... but it is shorter program...

Although, Michener's reputation is very good generally...