Students

Michener Institute for Applied Health Sciences - 2019 Admissions

[OP]
Apr 8, 2018
26 posts
10 upvotes

Michener Institute for Applied Health Sciences - 2019 Admissions

Hello everyone!

I've noticed that there isn't a thread for Michener's 2019 admissions. I'm currently a student here and I thought it would be a useful resource for other people to use. You can use the forum to connect with other applicants for MMI preparation, program selection, questions, etc. etc.

I'll be popping in and out to answer any questions you may have for a current student as long as they're within the scope of what I'm allowed to answer. Best of luck!
83 replies
Feb 25, 2019
1 posts
2 upvotes
Great idea,
I am thinking about organizing the MMI practicing group.
Is anyone interested?
Mar 7, 2019
3 posts
Yessss i’ve been following the previous threads for the past year, so happy to have this thread! Anyone got any emails yet?
Feb 12, 2019
2 posts
1 upvote
Thank you for creating this group!

Looking back on your experiences in the MMIs, what preparatory tools, activities, drills, etc. did you find most valuable and effective? Why?
Would you do anything differently? Is there anything you wish you knew beforehand?
Mar 14, 2013
215 posts
200 upvotes
Toronto
Sci4days wrote:
Mar 9th, 2019 8:27 pm

Looking back on your experiences in the MMIs, what preparatory tools, activities, drills, etc. did you find most valuable and effective? Why?
Would you do anything differently? Is there anything you wish you knew beforehand?
I was recommended to buy the book 'Doing Right' by Philip C. Hebert. I read it and found it really helpful for the MMIs. If anyone is interested I could sell my copy for lower than retail. Also practicing helps a ton.
[OP]
Apr 8, 2018
26 posts
10 upvotes
Sci4days wrote:
Mar 9th, 2019 8:27 pm

There's many lists of practice MMI questions you can find online --- I went through those extensively and found that to be the most helpful when practicing with other Michener applicants. I'd also recommend connecting with people you don't know (I found others through here), so you're comfortable articulating your ideas to a stranger, which is what you'll be doing during your MMI. To go on what btwitsmatt mentioned, practice is invaluable and being well prepared will help you do well. Looking back, I think I was prepared enough and I'm not entirely sure if there was anything I'd do differently or if there was anything I wish I knew beforehand. I mean, of course, looking back, I wish I'd answer some questions differently, but hindsight is 20/20 and I feel it's common for a lot of people to feel the same.

I also would recommend "Doing Right." I borrowed a copy from my friend around this same time last year. Didn't end up needing it and only read about 1/4 of it, but it definitely helps you get into the right headspace.
Mar 11, 2019
3 posts
Hi TarasM50705,
Were you able to start this group? I just found out about this and was wondering what happened.
I am interested to join. Please let me know.
Thanks.
Mar 27, 2019
2 posts
1 upvote
Hi DazedandConfucius. Congrats for your acing the MMI and thanks for being helpful to other applicants. I am particularly interested to know about different types of collaboration station. Do you know what types we may face? What type did you have on your MMI? Moreover, is there any writing station?
Mar 31, 2019
1 posts
Hi! I applied to the ultrasound program and was wondering if anyone knew how many people get in every year. Thank you!
Mar 27, 2019
2 posts
1 upvote
Hi Samira.

According to 2018 forum, the number was around 30 in 2018.
[OP]
Apr 8, 2018
26 posts
10 upvotes
HamidH10763 wrote:
Mar 28th, 2019 7:15 am
Hi DazedandConfucius. Congrats for your acing the MMI and thanks for being helpful to other applicants. I am particularly interested to know about different types of collaboration station. Do you know what types we may face? What type did you have on your MMI? Moreover, is there any writing station?
Hey, sorry for the late reply! I thought this forum would be dead, but it's looking like it's picking up --- I'll be more attentive from now. There are a variety of types that are designed to capture your ability to collaborate with peers (some examples online were drawing a picture using a description from another person, role-playing a given situation, etc.) I can't say which one I had on my MMI, unfortunately, due to confidentiality reasons. But rest assured that there are extensive online resources you can use that will prepare you for the actual MMI, just be sure to practice. As for the writing station, I know that's something used at other schools for their MMI, so I would consider it a possibility but because there are > 500 applicant to Michener per year, I would say the odds are quite slim.
[OP]
Apr 8, 2018
26 posts
10 upvotes
Samira30 wrote:
Apr 1st, 2019 7:19 pm
Hi! I applied to the ultrasound program and was wondering if anyone knew how many people get in every year. Thank you!
There are 24 students in the current year 1 Ultrasound program.
Mar 7, 2019
3 posts
What about for MLS? How many students would they take for this year? Also shouldn’t we expect to get emails soon of whether we go through MMI or not?
[OP]
Apr 8, 2018
26 posts
10 upvotes
92beyb wrote:
Apr 2nd, 2019 11:24 am
What about for MLS? How many students would they take for this year? Also shouldn’t we expect to get emails soon of whether we go through MMI or not?
I'm not too sure for MLS, but I think the class size is around 80. If you private message me, I can give you a concrete number once I ask someone and find out. I wouldn't know how many they're planning on taking this year, I'm just a student here and don't have access to that information.

I got my e-mail for the MMI invite on April 11th of last year, so you can expect an e-mail in the next week or two (no guarantees Michener will follow this same timeline, however).
May 15, 2018
32 posts
18 upvotes
I'm a current MLS student. There were 80 people accepted last year. It was the largest class ever accepted. This seemed to cause a lot of scheduling conflicts with the professors so from what I've heard, they are decreasing admissions this year. I'm not sure to what number and I'm not even 100% sure thats true. It's just what I've heard profs say.

For MLS, don't worry too much if you're on the waitlist. 4 people this year got in after people dropped out in September so there's always hope. I believe 2 got in almost 2 weeks after class started.