Students

Michener Institute of Applied Health Sciences Admissions 2016

• Last Updated:
  • May 15th, 2017 9:36 pm
Aug 26, 2011
194 posts
25 upvotes
Saw the MLT/S programs at this school are 2.5 years in length.. are there any good colleges in Toronto that offer a similar program in 1 year?

Thanks!
Jun 2, 2013
15 posts
Toronto
Nope, Michener has the shortest program. Programs for 1 Year or less such as the one in centennial only get you certificates in medical lab TECHNICIANS (much lower pay) instead of medical lab TECHNOLOGIST/SCIENCE.
Aug 26, 2011
194 posts
25 upvotes
Joyce5 wrote:
Jun 26th, 2016 9:57 am
Nope, Michener has the shortest program. Programs for 1 Year or less such as the one in centennial only get you certificates in medical lab TECHNICIANS (much lower pay) instead of medical lab TECHNOLOGIST/SCIENCE.
Wow. A 4 year bachelors and that program is a lot of school. Don't think my gf would be down for that :S.
Jan 29, 2009
601 posts
77 upvotes
MadmanKillEmAll wrote:
Jun 26th, 2016 1:53 pm
Wow. A 4 year bachelors and that program is a lot of school. Don't think my gf would be down for that :S.
Most of the class is filled with B.Sc and even M.Sc graduates, she would not be out of place.
Jun 2, 2013
15 posts
Toronto
MadmanKillEmAll wrote:
Jun 26th, 2016 1:53 pm
I have a B.Sc AND a 1 year certificate AND will be doing the MLS program, it is a lot of school and going for the MLS program was a tough decision to make, but I strongly believe it's worth it in the long run since jobs are getting more and more competitive. Have your gf research into all her options to help decide what's the best route for her :)
Jul 7, 2013
6 posts
I've been pondering for the last two weeks about my final program decision...
I received an offer to MLS back in May and was also put on wait list for Diagnostic Cytology.

Two weeks ago, I received my offer for Diagnostic Cytology, and have been deciding between the two ever since... I know there are a lot of similarities in terms of the two programs. Does anyone have any advice, or if they know anyone that took both programs?

Thanks!
May 2, 2012
39 posts
5 upvotes
TORONTO
Kar3n4u wrote:
Jul 1st, 2016 4:38 pm
I've been pondering for the last two weeks about my final program decision...
I received an offer to MLS back in May and was also put on wait list for Diagnostic Cytology.

Two weeks ago, I received my offer for Diagnostic Cytology, and have been deciding between the two ever since... I know there are a lot of similarities in terms of the two programs. Does anyone have any advice, or if they know anyone that took both programs?

Thanks!
There are probably some crossovers in the equipments/techniques between the 2 programs, but aside from that I see cytology as a more specialized branch in the MLS field. MLS can branch into cytology/genetic technologies later on if I remembered right.

That aside, no idea about the job prospect. Big cities like Toronto is probably a bad idea for a fresh grad. Exceptions do exist, but you know, gotta be realistic.
May 11, 2016
3 posts
Are there still people awaiting to be accepted from a waitlist?

I am currently wait-listed for all 3 programs I applied too and I highly doubt I'll get accepted by now. What plans do people have in case they are not accepted?
Apr 11, 2016
70 posts
10 upvotes
Yeasts wrote:
Jul 2nd, 2016 8:50 pm
Are there still people awaiting to be accepted from a waitlist?

I am currently wait-listed for all 3 programs I applied too and I highly doubt I'll get accepted by now. What plans do people have in case they are not accepted?
Going to either be a TA full-time or do a random full-time in the mean time. I would rather TA since I like it a lot better, but I would make a little more if I stayed home and had a full-time.
Jul 7, 2013
6 posts
SaberZero wrote:
Jul 2nd, 2016 2:42 pm
There are probably some crossovers in the equipments/techniques between the 2 programs, but aside from that I see cytology as a more specialized branch in the MLS field. MLS can branch into cytology/genetic technologies later on if I remembered right.

That aside, no idea about the job prospect. Big cities like Toronto is probably a bad idea for a fresh grad. Exceptions do exist, but you know, gotta be realistic.
The registrar referred me to a professor that was part of the Diagnostic Cytology Program, and I still haven't received a reply. I'm actually a BSc graduate, but I was worried how in depth/knowledgeable we would have to be in regards to MLS courses. There are courses I haven't touched upon mainly hematology courses if I were to go into DC.

Jan 29, 2009
601 posts
77 upvotes
Kar3n4u wrote:
Jul 3rd, 2016 2:38 am
I had to make the same choice when I was accepted 5 years ago but went with MLS and do not regret it.

It's hard to find Diagnostic Cytology jobs because of the change a few years ago to less pap smears (Every year to every 3 years). Cytology you sit at a mic every day for 8 hours a day.

MLS only "requires" high school at entry so you are fine with whatever you have.
Jun 2, 2013
15 posts
Toronto
Did anyone receive a tuition invoice from Michener? I also received a tuition deferral form if OSAP was applied for. My question is: my OSAP status says that "the school is pending approval for OSAP" so should I send the form now to avoid delays or should I wait till my OSAP is approved (don't know when it will be) before I send the form? Any current Michener students have experience with this in the past?
Feb 21, 2016
35 posts
5 upvotes
Joyce5 wrote:
Jul 3rd, 2016 10:43 pm
Did anyone receive a tuition invoice from Michener? I also received a tuition deferral form if OSAP was applied for. My question is: my OSAP status says that "the school is pending approval for OSAP" so should I send the form now to avoid delays or should I wait till my OSAP is approved (don't know when it will be) before I send the form? Any current Michener students have experience with this in the past?
I sent in the deferral form. It says on the OSAP website the earliest the school would get its results back is mid-July, and tuition is otherwise due at the beginning of August. At least if the form is handed in, the school knows you applied for a loan. OSAP should then process the application normally once the school is approved.
Oct 21, 2014
58 posts
21 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Joyce5 wrote:
Jun 27th, 2016 6:16 pm
I have a B.Sc AND a 1 year certificate AND will be doing the MLS program, it is a lot of school and going for the MLS program was a tough decision to make, but I strongly believe it's worth it in the long run since jobs are getting more and more competitive. Have your gf research into all her options to help decide what's the best route for her :)
I was in your shoes last year, but I didn't have the 1 year certificate. Instead I worked for a year after completing a BSc, and It went nowhere. Time really flies. I'm going into second year this Sept, and I still feel like a first year MLT student. For me, the decision to invest another 3 years was attributed to not wanting to settle down in Toronto. I just want to leave the city life, and have a quieter life somewhere. From what I've read, med tech is a good bet.