Michener Institute - Med Lab Tech

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 24th, 2017 11:47 am
Jan 29, 2009
601 posts
77 upvotes
nalababe wrote:
Mar 19th, 2015 12:47 pm
Will depend on the company and full role: A while back, I was in the 70's. Could be more. I would say that your starting/minimum ask is at least what you are making now....plus you get the perks like company car, possible home office allowance, internet allowance etc....

There is normally a bonus plan which will depend on either national or regional performance...

There is often a bonus for "add assays" i.e. Convince the customer to convert from competitor product to yours and have it implemented and you earn $$...keep in mind the sales rep is doing all the pricing/negotiating.

In the end, the biggest decision is that for some companies there will be a lot of travel. While this can seem exciting, it is a major drain...and when companies lose TAS back to the lab this is normally the reason. Because of my product lines, I often had a national role, so I aways approached (though never reached) super elite, was platinum with a few hotel....we funded world wide vacations with all the points.

For me it was a great first step in to the company...and have jumped to many different positions since.
Great, thanks. I have a long background in sales so I'm happy to be out of it at the moment but moneywise and careerwise it sounds like it could be a smart decision for me down the road. One of the positions I was recruited for was for Ontario and Western Canada so I can imagine I would get to super elite pretty quickly.
Oct 21, 2014
58 posts
21 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Is it possible for a Certified Medical Technologist to take a few Genetic courses under 'continuing education' at Michener, and become a Certified Genetic Technologist? Without having to go through a Genetic Technologist program.
Jan 29, 2009
601 posts
77 upvotes
woof122 wrote:
Mar 21st, 2015 1:38 pm
Is it possible for a Certified Medical Technologist to take a few Genetic courses under 'continuing education' at Michener, and become a Certified Genetic Technologist? Without having to go through a Genetic Technologist program.
no.
Oct 21, 2014
58 posts
21 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Shame. Btw thanks neonlily for your contribution to this thread. I learn a little bit more about MTs every day lol.
Mar 16, 2010
41 posts
3 upvotes
Ontario
Neonlily, thank you for all of the MLT related posts, they are very informative. Could you speak a little about the job outlook currently and in the next few years from your perspective? Also how are you enjoying the field, do you have any interesting stories or incidents that have occurred on the job?

Thanks ;)
Jan 29, 2009
601 posts
77 upvotes
ExpressR wrote:
Mar 21st, 2015 7:07 pm
Neonlily, thank you for all of the MLT related posts, they are very informative. Could you speak a little about the job outlook currently and in the next few years from your perspective? Also how are you enjoying the field, do you have any interesting stories or incidents that have occurred on the job?

Thanks ;)
I would say job outlook is very good. Techs are retiring constantly. I would say 30% of my workplace is set to retire in 10 years, with 1 retiring next month and another next year (we are a small lab) and I took over a retirement in September. Now is the best time to get into the profession with the population aging. In large cities you can get casual or contract pretty easily and move into a permanent position in no time. Most place prefer to go that way because they can train you a lot easier and move you directly into the position without the hassle of a formal competitive for the job.

So far I'm enjoying it. To have a stable well paying job directly out of school with vacation and benefits is nothing to complain about. I learn every day and try to apply myself to the job. Being out of school, I'm usually regarded as the most knowledgeable so I've been able to lead some great projects and hopefully will be able to move into other positions. I was trained for our Level 3 lab in the 1st month I was working so that was pretty cool. I get to work with TB everyday :)
Jan 20, 2015
57 posts
5 upvotes
Halifax, NS
Anyone know what Sudbury is like as a city for someone in their late teens/early 20's?
Mar 23, 2015
3 posts
Sudbury, ON
It depends what you're looking for really. I moved from Ottawa to go to Cambrian for med lab, and I'm really liking Sudbury so far because of how different it is from back home. If you're coming from a big city then it's definitely going to seem very small and it is pretty quiet. There really isn't a whole lot to do unless you're into outdoor activities. The city itself is quite spread out and there is some nice scenery. There are a lot of students in town from the university and the two colleges so there's definitely some nightlife stuff. It definitely has that "small town" feel.
If you're really into that big city life then you might be bored.
Oct 21, 2014
58 posts
21 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Lituation wrote:
Mar 24th, 2015 10:47 am
Anyone know what Sudbury is like as a city for someone in their late teens/early 20's?
Contemplating Cambrian? You see there? lol
Jan 20, 2015
57 posts
5 upvotes
Halifax, NS
woof122 wrote:
Mar 24th, 2015 6:13 pm
Contemplating Cambrian? You see there? lol
Nailed it!

If I don't get into Michener my options are down to Cambrian and Newfoundland.
Oct 21, 2014
58 posts
21 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Lituation wrote:
Mar 24th, 2015 6:16 pm
Nailed it!

If I don't get into Michener my options are down to Cambrian and Newfoundland.
Likewise, If not Michener, I'll be in Cambrian. But I'll have to start the Cambrian application for res, since Michener won't give an offer anytime soon.
Dec 28, 2007
53 posts
8 upvotes
Ontario
Lituation wrote:
Mar 18th, 2015 7:25 pm
Say you make 50k after taxes. That's ~4150/month. Seems reasonable to be able to afford a 1k/month payment - not sure how much debt you'd need to take on, but doesn't seem impossible to be able to handle a large amount.

+ you can work weekends.
You definately do not clear that much a month, especially in Ontario at least when you first start. I'd say ft would be ~ 3k
Jan 29, 2009
601 posts
77 upvotes
b-roc6 wrote:
Mar 25th, 2015 8:42 pm
You definately do not clear that much a month, especially in Ontario at least when you first start. I'd say ft would be ~ 3k
You can definitely clear that in Ontario as I and many of my friends working full-time do. If you work at hospital that pays $33-35/hr it's no problem.
Jan 20, 2015
57 posts
5 upvotes
Halifax, NS
b-roc6 wrote:
Mar 25th, 2015 8:42 pm
I was using a $30/hr full-time work schedule as my metric, which I think is doable. Though I do realize that fresh out of graduation a lot of people have to take on casual positions.
Jan 20, 2015
57 posts
5 upvotes
Halifax, NS
woof122 wrote:
Mar 25th, 2015 5:29 pm
Likewise, If not Michener, I'll be in Cambrian. But I'll have to start the Cambrian application for res, since Michener won't give an offer anytime soon.
We're in the same boat. I'm pretty set on Cambrian over the NFLD college. I definitely want to get into Michener the most though. It is a school entirely focused on health sciences. I just feel like this type of environment would lead to a radically different experience compared to a Cambrian where there are a very wide variety of programs offered / a much higher portion of the student body is fresh out of high school (assumption, but I'd imagine this is true).

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)