• Last Updated:
  • Mar 18th, 2017 10:31 pm
Jan 20, 2015
57 posts
5 upvotes
Halifax, NS
b-roc6 wrote:
Mar 25th, 2015 8:42 pm
You definately do not clear that much a month, especially in Ontario at least when you first start. I'd say ft would be ~ 3k
I was using a $30/hr full-time work schedule as my metric, which I think is doable. Though I do realize that fresh out of graduation a lot of people have to take on casual positions.
Jan 20, 2015
57 posts
5 upvotes
Halifax, NS
woof122 wrote:
Mar 25th, 2015 5:29 pm
Likewise, If not Michener, I'll be in Cambrian. But I'll have to start the Cambrian application for res, since Michener won't give an offer anytime soon.
We're in the same boat. I'm pretty set on Cambrian over the NFLD college. I definitely want to get into Michener the most though. It is a school entirely focused on health sciences. I just feel like this type of environment would lead to a radically different experience compared to a Cambrian where there are a very wide variety of programs offered / a much higher portion of the student body is fresh out of high school (assumption, but I'd imagine this is true).
Dec 30, 1969
49 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Lituation wrote:
Mar 25th, 2015 10:58 pm
We're in the same boat. I'm pretty set on Cambrian over the NFLD college. I definitely want to get into Michener the most though. It is a school entirely focused on health sciences. I just feel like this type of environment would lead to a radically different experience compared to a Cambrian where there are a very wide variety of programs offered / a much higher portion of the student body is fresh out of high school (assumption, but I'd imagine this is true).
Yea, Michener does seem entirely focused on health sciences. But I'm not sure if i am willing to deal with the craziness of downtown toronto on a daily basis lol.
Mar 23, 2015
3 posts
Sudbury, ON
errinath wrote:
Mar 26th, 2015 5:44 pm
Actually you'd be surprised -- there are tons of people at Cambrian's Health programs who are not fresh from high school. Lots of people are going back to school into professional programs after trying other things in life. I'd venture to say the same thing is happening at other colleges too.
This is true. I'm in med lab at Cambrian and the people who are fresh out of high school are the minority. There are a bunch of us who have already completed degrees and others who have taken different programs before this.
Jan 20, 2015
57 posts
5 upvotes
Halifax, NS
lala09 wrote:
Mar 24th, 2015 4:53 pm
It depends what you're looking for really. I moved from Ottawa to go to Cambrian for med lab, and I'm really liking Sudbury so far because of how different it is from back home. If you're coming from a big city then it's definitely going to seem very small and it is pretty quiet. There really isn't a whole lot to do unless you're into outdoor activities. The city itself is quite spread out and there is some nice scenery. There are a lot of students in town from the university and the two colleges so there's definitely some nightlife stuff. It definitely has that "small town" feel.
If you're really into that big city life then you might be bored.
I missed your post. Thanks for the breakdown. I'm from a (very) small town, so I think Sudbury wouldn't surprise me. Good to know it has a small town feel with a large student representation.
Jan 20, 2015
57 posts
5 upvotes
Halifax, NS
errinath wrote:
Mar 26th, 2015 5:44 pm
Actually you'd be surprised -- there are tons of people at Cambrian's Health programs who are not fresh from high school. Lots of people are going back to school into professional programs after trying other things in life. I'd venture to say the same thing is happening at other colleges too.
Cheers. I didn't mean to generalize. Good to know I was very mistaken.
Feb 26, 2015
13 posts
4 upvotes
Guelph, ON
I know that some of the government statistics I've read said that MLT's in the workforce are 75-80% female. Does anyone know if most of the programs in Ontario are still this gender scewed? I'm going to be going to St. Lawrence, but was just wondering if this is still a trend or if it is changing.
Mar 16, 2010
41 posts
3 upvotes
Ontario
BrianVdmey wrote:
Mar 27th, 2015 11:06 am
I know that some of the government statistics I've read said that MLT's in the workforce are 75-80% female. Does anyone know if most of the programs in Ontario are still this gender scewed? I'm going to be going to St. Lawrence, but was just wondering if this is still a trend or if it is changing.
Yeah I was worried about the same thing. I'm going to St. Lawrence as well, and I thought I would be one of the few male students in the program, but it is nice to see that there might be more than a few.
Apr 13, 2012
39 posts
8 upvotes
The St Lawrence med lab program has a Facebook page, and it seems most of their students/instructors are women.

However, when I took lab tours at a few of the Toronto hospitals, I saw both male and female technologists in almost equal numbers.

I don't think it's anything to be worried about, though. If you were a med lab technician (who do most of the phlebotomy, they interact directly with patients), it'd be more of an issue if you were a male - since many female patients might not be comfortable with it and would prefer women. For technologists working in a lab, I don't think gender will affect you negatively. In a school setting, it's not much of a problem - I took the med lab technician program where there were about 6 males in a class of 40, and everyone got along well.
Mar 10, 2015
4 posts
Brampton, ON
Can someone give me some advice. I'm currently doing honours bachelor for biology major at York. But do i really need to spend four years doing honours or should i just do three years of bachelor and then go into technologist. Also, what are some colleges beside Michener that offers technologist program. Thank
Dec 30, 1969
49 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto, ON
kopat33 wrote:
Mar 28th, 2015 2:23 pm
Can someone give me some advice. I'm currently doing honours bachelor for biology major at York. But do i really need to spend four years doing honours or should i just do three years of bachelor and then go into technologist. Also, what are some colleges beside Michener that offers technologist program. Thank
St Clair, Cambrian, St Lawrence and Michener are the colleges in Ontario that offer Medical Lab science.
It is entirely up to you whether you want to do the extra 30credits @ York for the Honours. If I was in your shoes, I would transfer to UOIT for Medical Lab Science, and see if certain credits are transferable.
Jan 20, 2015
57 posts
5 upvotes
Halifax, NS
kopat33 wrote:
Mar 28th, 2015 2:23 pm
If your end goal is to become a technologist I don't see the benefit of completing your honours; however I feel that's a little bit short-sighted. There are many programs that may spark your interest later in life that may require a Bachelor's degree and you're so close to getting it I would recommended sticking through it.
Mar 30, 2015
6 posts
Scarborough, ON
I am also going to Cambrian this September, How is cost of living in Sudbury? Is it possible to take up any part time jobs to cover living expenses and other costs while in the school. being a small city means less part time jobs right? I don't mind doing any part time jobs in evenings and weekends.
Jan 20, 2015
57 posts
5 upvotes
Halifax, NS
Hi errinath. Would you recommend living in residence or off-campus housing?
Mar 30, 2015
6 posts
Scarborough, ON
Is there any forum for MLT program takers who gonna attend Cambrian this Sep, 2015 intake. :) Eager to get started, I browsed a lot about Sudbury, seems living in Sudbury is more fun and active, and cheaper too. As for as I heard, Cambrian is also very good college for MLT.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel