Michener Institute - Med Lab Tech

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 18th, 2017 10:31 pm
Mar 30, 2015
6 posts
Scarborough, ON
errinath wrote:
Mar 31st, 2015 12:37 pm
You can get an on-campus job with relative ease. Some of them are office jobs, some of them are helping out in the Student Centre (I believe this job paid more than the others). Here is some info: http://www.cambriancollege.ca/futurestu ... ampus.aspx. I had a really good experience working at an office there.

You can also sign up for tutoring, which is easy to get if you had a B or A in the course. Info is here: http://www.cambriancollege.ca/departmen ... vices.aspx. Some courses are more requested than others. For example, Statistics was highly-requested and I had no problem finding people to tutor. Only problem is you can only tutor 15 hrs/week max through this service. However if you can tutor something demanding (like Stats) some students will even offer to pay you out of their own pocket (apparently they had bad Stats teachers).
Thanks a lot, thats sounds great. :)
Mar 30, 2015
6 posts
Scarborough, ON
errinath wrote:
Mar 31st, 2015 3:21 pm
Well, I went to Cambrian when I was in my mid-20s and had no interest in living on residence where the majority of people there would be mostly really young people (like 18-22). I know classmates who made great friends and had a really great time while living there though (again, they were young lol). It depends on what your interests are.
Thats true, I am moving with my girl friend, who thinking to take a full time job, while I am planning to go to school and take up part time job. Off-campus housing is a better deal for us, being mid twenties and also we get more privacy though. What are apartment, condos or house rental options in Sudbury?
Jan 20, 2015
57 posts
5 upvotes
Halifax, NS
madrasi wrote:
Apr 3rd, 2015 8:00 pm
Is there any forum for MLT program takers who gonna attend Cambrian this Sep, 2015 intake. :) Eager to get started, I browsed a lot about Sudbury, seems living in Sudbury is more fun and active, and cheaper too. As for as I heard, Cambrian is also very good college for MLT.
I imagine there will be a Facebook group in the somewhat near future once everyone accepts their offers and knows where they're going. As of now I will be seeing you in the fall!
Mar 30, 2015
6 posts
Scarborough, ON
Lituation wrote:
Apr 3rd, 2015 8:13 pm
I imagine there will be a Facebook group in the somewhat near future once everyone accepts their offers and knows where they're going. As of now I will be seeing you in the fall!
That's a great idea too. See you in the fall. :) I see that Cambrian MLT program is still open in OCAS website. If anyone really interest in MLT could apply, I guess.
Jan 29, 2009
601 posts
77 upvotes
rssdale wrote:
Apr 4th, 2015 4:55 pm
I was considering going to Michener not too long ago but I read a lot of reviews and on other forums that the school really inflates the number of job opportunities, than what is really available.Here's a link to what I'm talking about http://www.indeed.com/forum/job/nuclear ... se/t107934. Can anyone comment?
That's for Nuc Med. The problem was that the Nuclear Isotope shortage happened in the middle of their schooling so there weren't any job when they graduated. They pulled the program for a few years until they started making isotopes again.

I can safely say for Med Lab there are tons of jobs available. You might not be able to get permanent full-time straight out of school if you want in core cities but you can usually get in casual or contract and work your way up from there - that's just the nature of the business.
Dec 30, 1969
49 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I just checked the Sunshine list of Government Employees making 6 figures a year, and there are some Med lab techs making 6 figures a year. Doesn't say how much overtime they put in though. I also noticed a Laboratory Director making 350k a year on that list.... Holy smokes.
Feb 3, 2015
33 posts
14 upvotes
North York, ON
woof122 wrote:
Apr 6th, 2015 6:47 pm
I just checked the Sunshine list of Government Employees making 6 figures a year, and there are some Med lab techs making 6 figures a year. Doesn't say how much overtime they put in though. I also noticed a Laboratory Director making 350k a year on that list.... Holy smokes.

There are some techs I know who make that much... usually they are the ones who have a full-time position AND also have a casual/part-time position elsewhere. They are almost always working non-stop.
Jan 20, 2015
57 posts
5 upvotes
Halifax, NS
Anyone know how easy it is to also work a casual job on the side? I anticipate not very easy due to the schedule not being fixed, but would love to do some research on the side if possible.
Jan 29, 2009
601 posts
77 upvotes
Lituation wrote:
Apr 7th, 2015 10:39 am
Anyone know how easy it is to also work a casual job on the side? I anticipate not very easy due to the schedule not being fixed, but would love to do some research on the side if possible.
Easy. I work full-time and casual (two different labs)
Jun 25, 2007
375 posts
9 upvotes
errinath wrote:
Apr 6th, 2015 8:10 pm
There are some techs I know who make that much... usually they are the ones who have a full-time position AND also have a casual/part-time position elsewhere. They are almost always working non-stop.
Also the techs who get called in a lot during on-call hours - they would get paid for those calls on top of their full time position pay. But of course there is plenty of sacrifices to be made to be on-call so often.
Jun 25, 2007
375 posts
9 upvotes
Lituation wrote:
Apr 7th, 2015 10:39 am
You can have a relatively fixed schedule depending on where you work. Even a 24/7 core lab could have a master rotation which would allow you to know which weeks you are on nights or which weekends you are off; or you can have a straight days or evenings/nights only position, then you know your availability. On the other hand, many labs do not do their schedules like that - they just give techs their FTE wherever on the schedule to fill holes. You can work a night, off one day, then two evenings, and then a morning shift one week - then the next week is entirely different. If you are already working somewhere then leaves to go to a FT position, unless your employer really wants to get rid of you, it is beneficial for the empolyer to keep you on as casual anyways because you are already trained. However, if you have a FT job, to get in as casual somewhere new would be more difficult as they would need to invest in training and your availability would not be that great.
Jan 20, 2015
57 posts
5 upvotes
Halifax, NS
Thanks cyrene for the response. It gave me more to consider.

I've been racking my brain lately trying to figure out what I want to do and that helps. Cheers.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel