Michener Institute - Med Lab Tech

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 24th, 2017 11:47 am
Apr 27, 2015
1 posts
216 Carlton Street T…
slinger99 wrote:
Jun 24th, 2012 11:57 am
Check out Toronto CPR (www.torontocpr.com) I've taken that course with them and also recertified with them and would definitely recommend. They also have a $15 discount for students bringing it down to about $110 which includes HST. They give Canadian Red Cross certification.
Hi slinger99 ! First I want to give you high 5 ! I have compared both www.torontocpr.com and http://www.heart2heartcpr.com/ and agree with you those are cost effective and I am happy with that and the best option is that they give Canadian Red Cross certification.
Feb 8, 2013
27 posts
Mississauga
Hi there!

Could anyone form current medlab program tell their schedule? Just an example of what to expect from work/study load. I mean what time classes start from Monday through Friday, and what time they end.

Need to schedule my chidren's pick up time (in case if I'm in for this year :) ).

Thanks in advance!
Jul 23, 2009
591 posts
61 upvotes
Cork, Ireland
Is it harder to get into MLT at Michener or UofT pharmacy? Just curious.
Jan 20, 2015
57 posts
5 upvotes
Halifax, NS
savercanuck91 wrote:
Apr 29th, 2015 7:04 pm
Is it harder to get into MLT at Michener or UofT pharmacy? Just curious.
I would say it depends on your high school vs. pharm uni prerequisite marks largely. All things equal id assume pharm.
Jul 23, 2009
591 posts
61 upvotes
Cork, Ireland
I'm currently deciding between going to medicine in Ireland, pharmacy, or med lab tech at Michener. At the school I got into in Ireland 14/17 of the people who applied for residency got in last year (2014) and 20/24 the year previous.

The problem is the tuition for Ireland is 40,000 Euro per year and residence is 5000+ euro. I was able to get an unsecured 200K LOC from TD.

Any advice?
Jan 16, 2015
8 posts
Toronto, ON
kattak wrote:
Apr 29th, 2015 4:55 pm
Hi there!

Could anyone form current medlab program tell their schedule? Just an example of what to expect from work/study load. I mean what time classes start from Monday through Friday, and what time they end.

Need to schedule my chidren's pick up time (in case if I'm in for this year :) ).

Thanks in advance!
Classes/labs start at 9am. I think the latest we finished was ~430pm although usually it's about 4. You should expect about 25-30 hours of labs/classes a week, and keeping on top of things outside of that. Of course, they could change the hours though. There is usually a day where you only have one class. Expect to put in an extra 2-3 hours of studying and prepping a night. For some people it's less, some people it's more.
Feb 8, 2013
27 posts
Mississauga
FutureMLT wrote:
May 4th, 2015 9:24 pm
Classes/labs start at 9am. I think the latest we finished was ~430pm although usually it's about 4. You should expect about 25-30 hours of labs/classes a week, and keeping on top of things outside of that. Of course, they could change the hours though. There is usually a day where you only have one class. Expect to put in an extra 2-3 hours of studying and prepping a night. For some people it's less, some people it's more.

Thank you!
I hope they will send notifications soon, although the self-Servise seems to be not updated from November :(
Jan 16, 2015
8 posts
Toronto, ON
kattak wrote:
May 4th, 2015 9:32 pm
Thank you!
I hope they will send notifications soon, although the self-Servise seems to be not updated from November :(
Your welcome. There are people in the program who have kids, so although there's a lot of work it's definitely manageable :)

Good luck with their response!
Jun 6, 2015
1 posts
Toronto, ON
I'm looking at the New Curriculum requirements for the MLS program, and it says you need 4 specific grade 12(U) level courses and 2 (U) or U/Mixed level courses. Do the 2 courses refer to actual university courses or just high school courses that are designated at U level?
Apr 13, 2012
39 posts
8 upvotes
fielthejedi wrote:
Jun 7th, 2015 8:53 pm
I'm looking at the New Curriculum requirements for the MLS program, and it says you need 4 specific grade 12(U) level courses and 2 (U) or U/Mixed level courses. Do the 2 courses refer to actual university courses or just high school courses that are designated at U level?
High school U-level courses. You don't need post-secondary education to get into Michener's MLS program.
Mar 10, 2015
4 posts
Brampton, ON
aimsley wrote:
Mar 18th, 2015 9:16 pm
The following is based on my personal experience in Vancouver. I'm not sure if it is different in Ontario/

My BSc did not completely go to waste. Having done post-secondary helped me achieve better grades. Also, I get $100 extra per month for having my BSc (better than nothing). Having a bachelors or masters will also help if you want to upgrade your certification (I need a BSc for my path attendant course) or if you want to move to a higher tech level. We have 6 levels of techs, and if you make it to tech 6 in a busy hospital, you probably make around 6 figures. Tech 1 in Vancouver makes $27/hour to start, with 5 additional $1/hour increases each year until year 6. Many people are happy staying a Tech 1 or 2 forever.

As for job prospects it is really hard to say. It depends on luck, location, department, and your flexibility/availability. Generally, you will be working casual for 6-18 months before getting a part time or full time position (with decent extended health benefits). However, if you stick to hematology/chemistry and don't mind nights, you can pick up a lot of shifts!

I paid 13k for my med lab schooling. However, I'm extremely satisfied with my career choice. I love my job yet I have the opportunity to move up if I so wish. :)

Hope this helps, and good luck!
did u do honour bachelor or just regular bachelor?
Dec 8, 2014
138 posts
21 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
kopat33 wrote:
Jun 14th, 2015 8:49 pm
did u do honour bachelor or just regular bachelor?
Regular
Jul 9, 2015
9 posts
1 upvote
I was looking at this CSMLS report for 2015 and I was wondering why a lot of schools had a lower pass rate compared to previous years? Was the CSMLS exam different in 2015 compared to previous years?
Jan 29, 2009
601 posts
77 upvotes
Waterpool wrote:
Feb 27th, 2016 4:46 am
I was looking at this CSMLS report for 2015 and I was wondering why a lot of schools had a lower pass rate compared to previous years? Was the CSMLS exam different in 2015 compared to previous years?
Pass mark was higher.
Jul 9, 2015
9 posts
1 upvote
neonlily wrote:
Feb 27th, 2016 4:30 pm
Pass mark was higher.
Ohh I see. Did CSMLS change their pass rate at the last minute so the schools never had enough time to raise their pass mark in courses in the med lab program to prepare their students well for the exam? Or did CSMLS let the schools know well in advance that they are going to change the pass rate so the schools did their best to prepare the students but it just wasn't enough perhaps?