Michener Institute - Med Lab Tech

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 18th, 2017 10:31 pm
Jan 29, 2009
601 posts
77 upvotes
Waterpool wrote:
Feb 27th, 2016 4:46 am
I was looking at this CSMLS report for 2015 and I was wondering why a lot of schools had a lower pass rate compared to previous years? Was the CSMLS exam different in 2015 compared to previous years?
Pass mark was higher.
Jul 9, 2015
9 posts
1 upvote
neonlily wrote:
Feb 27th, 2016 4:30 pm
Pass mark was higher.
Ohh I see. Did CSMLS change their pass rate at the last minute so the schools never had enough time to raise their pass mark in courses in the med lab program to prepare their students well for the exam? Or did CSMLS let the schools know well in advance that they are going to change the pass rate so the schools did their best to prepare the students but it just wasn't enough perhaps?
Apr 16, 2012
232 posts
62 upvotes
London
Waterpool wrote:
Feb 27th, 2016 5:59 pm
Ohh I see. Did CSMLS change their pass rate at the last minute so the schools never had enough time to raise their pass mark in courses in the med lab program to prepare their students well for the exam? Or did CSMLS let the schools know well in advance that they are going to change the pass rate so the schools did their best to prepare the students but it just wasn't enough perhaps?
Pass mark is different with every exam. It's decided by an Angoff method, so an exam with a 65% pass mark was deemed to be more difficult by the panel, compared to a 70% pass mark which is supposed to have easier questions hence a higher mark needed to pass.
Jan 27, 2015
5 posts
Markham, ON
Hello!
I wanted to inquire about the admissions process. I'm currently doing a BSc. In biology at york. My high school grades were pretty shitty but I was wondering if they look at university grades or high school? I did pretty well in introductory biology and chemistry here, so I was wondering if they'd look at that instead.
Also any info on the admissions process would be greatly appreciated.
Jan 8, 2014
12 posts
Toronto
Please don’t apply for MLT Med Lab program at Cambrian College, professors are mostly Lab tech who doesn’t know how to teach or anything. They are highly disorganised, labs were crappy and unfit. Past few years MLT grads from Cambrian were failing at CSMLS national exam, so Professors instead of changing their teaching skills increased the passing grade to 70% in each courses almost everyone in our class failing, many are dropping out. If you try to get help, Professors are highly biased, and rude most of the time. Most of the courses are not even taught properly left with to figure it by ourselves, clinical sites available sucks too. There are no staff tutor to help out in tutoring centre, peer tutors are just one or two students to help, above all living in Sudbury sucks too, better bet to go to Michener or St. Lawrence college. Don’t waste your time, and money in this Cambrian MLT program.
Jan 9, 2017
2 posts
muruga wrote:
Nov 16th, 2016 11:46 pm
Please don’t apply for MLT Med Lab program at Cambrian College, professors are mostly Lab tech who doesn’t know how to teach or anything. They are highly disorganised, labs were crappy and unfit. Past few years MLT grads from Cambrian were failing at CSMLS national exam, so Professors instead of changing their teaching skills increased the passing grade to 70% in each courses almost everyone in our class failing, many are dropping out. If you try to get help, Professors are highly biased, and rude most of the time. Most of the courses are not even taught properly left with to figure it by ourselves, clinical sites available sucks too. There are no staff tutor to help out in tutoring centre, peer tutors are just one or two students to help, above all living in Sudbury sucks too, better bet to go to Michener or St. Lawrence college. Don’t waste your time, and money in this Cambrian MLT program.
OMG. I just decide to transfer to Cambrian MLT program but they don't have seat available now.

What happened there? I was in St. Clair last year and the passing grade is 80%. Horrible. Many students failed the practical tests.
Feb 26, 2017
1 posts
I'm hoping to get into the genetics tech program next year (2018) and since I can't find much about it I though I could ask you guys. Did most of you guys have a general (3 year ) BSc or a 4 year major BSc ? Just wondering if I'm good with just doing my 3 year or if it's bennificial to complete a 4 year. Also I'm from Manitoba and attend the u of m.
Feb 21, 2016
31 posts
5 upvotes
Britannia02 wrote:
Feb 27th, 2017 9:19 pm
I'm hoping to get into the genetics tech program next year (2018) and since I can't find much about it I though I could ask you guys. Did most of you guys have a general (3 year ) BSc or a 4 year major BSc ? Just wondering if I'm good with just doing my 3 year or if it's bennificial to complete a 4 year. Also I'm from Manitoba and attend the u of m.
I sent you a PM!
Mar 3, 2017
3 posts
Which of these three schools would you say is better? - st. clair / st.lawrence / michener
It seems st. lawrence has high pass rates for the national exam overall
Feb 26, 2015
13 posts
4 upvotes
Guelph, ON
todaysmusic wrote:
Mar 4th, 2017 9:53 pm
Which of these three schools would you say is better? - st. clair / st.lawrence / michener
It seems st. lawrence has high pass rates for the national exam overall
I can't really talk about St. Claire or Michener, but I'm currently a second year at St. Lawrence college and I would recommend it. The teachers are helpful, knowledgeable, and we have good relations with our placement sites. It is a hard program but if you are fit for the program and put in your time studying you'll do pretty well, and though some people do fail out every semester, the people who put the effort in make it through. The teachers are very helpful with those who are struggling, and the teaching is sufficient enough that those who do make it through the program have very good CSMLS pass rates. To be fair, we probably don't have as many fancy tools as Michener might but the program does a good job of preparing you for placement where you will get experience with the instrumentation anyways, and each year our coordinator is incorporating more and more simulation experiences into the program as they can as they get more funding for it. For me, it ended up being the easy of the application process (no MMI, or 90$ exam for St. Claire), and wanting to avoid the high cost of living and tuition cost of Michener that made me choose St. Lawrence, but I haven't regretted it. And from every MLT I've talked too, and not just my faculty, they say it doesn't really matter what school the student came from, because what matters is that you've graduated from a certified program and passed the CSMLS and therefore been designated as minimally competent and prepared to start as an entry level MLT by the CSMLS's and CMLTO's standards.
Mar 3, 2017
3 posts
Thank you so much BrianVdmey for such a helpful comment!
Now I have accepted the offer from St. Lawrence! It's been sitting there since March 6 haha.
I can't wait to have positive experiences like you did. Good luck in your clinical placement next year :)
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel