• Last Updated:
  • Mar 21st, 2013 3:11 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Dec 21, 2009
22 posts

Michener - Ultrasound Program

I'm studying health sciences at UOIT. I'm going into my 4th yr. and I'm planning on applying to Micheners ultrasound program. What do you guys think? Is it a good program? A good career?

Also what's the difference between ultrasound technician and technologist ?
ಠ_ಠ
12 replies
Jan 29, 2009
601 posts
77 upvotes
Technologist will get paid more than the technician. I am in the MLS program so I don't know too much about it but I do know that the ultrasound program is insanely competitive. They invited 150 students to the interviews for 25 spots last year.
Jan 11, 2007
339 posts
19 upvotes
GTA
I was told by students there that about half of last year's class consisted of foreign trained doctors.
Banned
Jun 29, 2012
595 posts
23 upvotes
TORONTO
Sonography is a rapidly growing technology that has become an integral part of the diagnostic process in most medical facilities in Canada. Sonographers enjoy excellent employment opportunities in Canada and around the world. So go ahead.
Nov 20, 2008
264 posts
44 upvotes
PureSword wrote:
Jul 15th, 2012 7:14 pm
oh no.. if I have a gpa of 2.8 what are my chances?
I'll be honest... not very high. Ultrasound is really competitive program, I head the average of those accepted was an A-.
Jul 21, 2012
8 posts
1 upvote
NORTH YORK
Is ultrasound has a better future or Radiologist technology at Michener ?
What is the difference between Technician and Technologist in terms of study ?

Thank you guys in advance
Nov 11, 2010
23 posts
Ultrasound is by far the better option. Low number of graduates and high demand.
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2007
2907 posts
63 upvotes
Flaunty wrote:
Jul 23rd, 2012 1:35 am
Ultrasound is by far the better option. Low number of graduates and high demand.
I'll agree with this statement. Lots of demand in U/S, more than radiography. I am currently working in x-ray, and completing my MRI sub-specialization as we speak.

In Alberta, they pay over $35/h starting wage for ultrasound techs. While in Ontario, it starts low $30/h. Probably get hired before you graduate.
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2007
2907 posts
63 upvotes
bongeorgeo wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2012 7:00 pm
Is ultrasound has a better future or Radiologist technology at Michener ?
What is the difference between Technician and Technologist in terms of study ?

Thank you guys in advance
No such thing as technician in Canada. Unless they are working illegally. They are considered technologists.
Feb 6, 2013
49 posts
1 upvote
Hi all,

I have also applied to the ultrasound program. I'm not sure if my marks will be high enough either. My last degree was a BEd but I have also completed a BHSc. Does anyone know if they will take into account my BEd marks even though they aren't really relevant? Good luck to everyone who applied! Fingers crossed that we will make it to the MMI stage.
Jan 25, 2012
257 posts
13 upvotes
ETOBICOKE
My mom did this program a couple years ago. It's done well, her pay is approximately $37/hour.. however, that's at multiple part-time jobs. It's somewhat difficult to find full-time work in this field, but hey, it's definitely promising. Go for it.
Mar 7, 2013
1 posts
i heard that for ultrasound graduates, employment prefer michener students is that true?? i also got accepted by Cambrian college, what do you guys think, which school would have a better employment spec.
Aug 22, 2012
1 posts
Toronto
Hi. jiyoungt, I also got in ultrasound at cambrian. I've been working as a x-ray tech at hosptital too long... michener is great school, I got in michener ultrasound in 2011,but I dropped the course after mid-term because of my x-ray job, so I know how they study and practice . when it comes to job markets. I would not worry about that, most of hospital welcome any graduates from accredited canadian ultrasound schools. Cambiran is accredited by CMA and CARDUP. and we will be doing our clinical in hopitals for an year, that will make us fully competent sonographer upon graduation. hope this helps !
× < >