• Last Updated:
  • Jan 15th, 2020 4:09 pm
[OP]
Apr 28, 2019
48 posts
48 upvotes

microsd cards - warranty

Hello, as microsd cards in 128 or more gig capacity are becoming so affordable and common.... does any one have first hand experience making warranty claims?
I remember there were lots of horror stories from samsung ssd's where samsung simply said they will not handle warranties???

- which company sends out prepaid labels to return microsd cards?
- was it simple process?

Thanks in advance
23 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2007
1163 posts
211 upvotes
45.467253°N, 75.5123…
Don't have direct experience with micro SD cards, but had Kingston replace a USB drive without much hassle (they didn't even request the broken one be returned). Based on this experience, I just purchased a 128GB high-endurance card from them

I still plan to give it a good test to see if it's prone to premature failure
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
1744 posts
807 upvotes
London
most companies force u to pay for shipping the card into them and pretty much all of them are located in the us and with how cheap cards are its normally not even wroth it. the only exception i know of is kingston when u have to warranty with them they will provide u there fedex account number and a invoice for customs. then all u have to do is take it in to fedex and fill out the paper work and put down there account number and they cover shipping by fedex 2 day. once they get the item in with in 24 hours they ship u a new one via fedex 2 day and they have always filled the paper work out right so u don't have to pay any customs fee for the replacement.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7693 posts
1545 upvotes
I didn't even know that good to know.
marc_t wrote: Samsung has no warranty support whatsoever.

samsung-warranty-memory-products-2243067/
As for warranty, I once had to do a claim with Sandisk and it was no hassle, just sent the card back to them and got a new one in the mail.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2005
3995 posts
1163 upvotes
GTA
Yeah, another vote for an experience with Kingston here.

Filled out their RMA form on their site and within two days, I got an email reply with instructions on shipping with FedEx. Shipping is paid by Kingston so it's just a matter of waiting for them to send you a new SD card. Fairly positive experience aside from the fact that their Endurance card died on me in my dashcam.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
2194 posts
2106 upvotes
Vancouver
I had a Kingston card fail once. They sent me a replacement, no problem.
Deal Guru
Mar 25, 2003
14389 posts
3363 upvotes
Markham
KenY41416 wrote: Hello, as microsd cards in 128 or more gig capacity are becoming so affordable and common.... does any one have first hand experience making warranty claims?
I remember there were lots of horror stories from samsung ssd's where samsung simply said they will not handle warranties???

- which company sends out prepaid labels to return microsd cards?
- was it simple process?

Thanks in advance
Good experience with Kingston Technology MicroSd card ( Life time warranty)
didn't need to send defective card back.

You need purchase receipt. Take picture of the broken SD card
96TB Mediasonic H82-SU3S2 / 72TB Raid 50 on Mediasonic H8R2-SU3S2
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
[OP]
Apr 28, 2019
48 posts
48 upvotes
Thanks every one for feedback, i will buy kingston and avoid samsung
I will order online so I can e-receipt such staples (avoid amazon for fake cards)
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
12017 posts
1654 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
hdom wrote: As for warranty, I once had to do a claim with Sandisk and it was no hassle, just sent the card back to them and got a new one in the mail.
It was 15 years ago, but that was my experience with Sandisk, as well.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
1744 posts
807 upvotes
London
rabbit wrote: It was 15 years ago, but that was my experience with Sandisk, as well.
problem is that with how cheap sd cards are now a days sending it back cost more money then the sd card is worth. now if they provide a pre paid label ok great but as far as i know only Kingston plays 2 way shipping i could be wrong though.
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
12017 posts
1654 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
If the card isn't worth much, send it via letter rate. But yeah, two-way shipping is obviously better. That was the only time an SD card crapped out on me, so I don't worry about the warranty.

Anyhow, just passing along info. No judgement here :) .
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
2194 posts
2106 upvotes
Vancouver
There's a separate warranty issue these days: use in dashcams. The continuous overwriting of dashcams can use up the expected lifespan of memory cards quicker than usual - maybe a year or two, depending on the card size and amount of daily driving. So many of the card manufacturers (such as Sandisk) explicitly warn that the warranty is void if the card is used in a dashcam. I haven't seen any information on how they would know for sure, or seen any reports that they have enforced this. But they could possibly tell, because the most common failure mode is that you can still read from the card, but not write to it or erase existing content. If they asked to see the card back, they could check and see your unerasable dashcam video.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
1744 posts
807 upvotes
London
Scote64 wrote: There's a separate warranty issue these days: use in dashcams. The continuous overwriting of dashcams can use up the expected lifespan of memory cards quicker than usual - maybe a year or two, depending on the card size and amount of daily driving. So many of the card manufacturers (such as Sandisk) explicitly warn that the warranty is void if the card is used in a dashcam. I haven't seen any information on how they would know for sure, or seen any reports that they have enforced this. But they could possibly tell, because the most common failure mode is that you can still read from the card, but not write to it or erase existing content. If they asked to see the card back, they could check and see your unerasable dashcam video.
i doubt they would bother to figure out how u used to card. just like Intel and AMD can't prove u overclocked a cpu. If they cared enough they would release a dif category of cards rated just for that like how wd released WD red rated specifically for nas usage.
Oct 4, 2017
226 posts
74 upvotes
Looks like SanDisk has contracted a 3rd party to process Canadian rma's. Now I have to figure out whether it's worth the risk to just send my defective memory card by regular letter mail.
Last edited by CorporalJenky on Jan 14th, 2020 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.