• Last Updated:
  • Sep 10th, 2017 9:48 pm
Deal Guru
Jun 7, 2005
10358 posts
1482 upvotes
Toronto

MicroSD formatted as internal drive

I had a 128GB MicroSD formatted as internal drive (as my phone only has 16GB ROM). The card is the Newegg house brand, and it has been working fine for a year. All the sudden it crashed last week. Actually, this is the first time I have a MicroSD card crashed during use since I purchased the first one 4 GB decades ago. However, this is also the first time I use the MicroSD as internal drive. Do you think the crash is due to the quality of the card ? or because I used it as internal drive ? I just want to know before I install another card on my phone. With only 16GB ROM, it doesn't leave me too much choice though as lot of apps can only be installed on internal drive.

By the way, can I assume that card is a garbage now ? I tried formatting again, but the phone would show 20% formatted, then stuck for a while before the formatting screen is completely gone.

Thanks for any advice.

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.a ... 00ZT-00001

Note: I bought it when it was on sale at $38 last July.
9 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
22160 posts
10325 upvotes
Toronto
Try formatting the card in a computer.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38392 posts
12019 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Team is not a Newegg house brand. You can buy it at Canada Computers too

I would try formatting in a computer as well. I did have a 16 gig version of his card die on me. I didn't bother with the lifetime warranty. The shipping cost is higher than a replacement card.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
Gee wrote: Team is not a Newegg house brand. You can buy it at Canada Computers too

I would try formatting in a computer as well. I did have a 16 gig version of his card die on me. I didn't bother with the lifetime warranty. The shipping cost is higher than a replacement card.
For 128GB it might be worth going through the warranty money-wise, but the bigger expense would be your time.

Never format microSD card to internal storage on Android. It's by far the worst feature added since Marshmallow.
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg Genesis/InLock/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Deal Guru
Jun 7, 2005
10358 posts
1482 upvotes
Toronto
Just tried formatting through PC. No luck.

By the way, on the Newegg product page below, it says limited lifetime warranty. What does it mean ? Can I just bring it back to their Markham office ? I don't know if I can find the original retail packing. I still have their invoice email though.

Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
17147 posts
5655 upvotes
Markham
rdx wrote: Just tried formatting through PC. No luck.

By the way, on the Newegg product page below, it says limited lifetime warranty. What does it mean ? Can I just bring it back to their Markham office ? I don't know if I can find the original retail packing. I still have their invoice email though.

life time warranty, but you need to contact the manufacture
http://www.teamgroupinc.com/en/OnlineService
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Deal Guru
Jun 7, 2005
10358 posts
1482 upvotes
Toronto
I made another stupid mistake. I thought it was the problem of the microSD, and put another 64GB. My damn phone fried it. It is having the same issue now after a day use. Can't format in PC either....................

Are both cards damaged now ? When I tried to format it in PC, I only see 16mb as the size. If I put it back to the phone, it says unsupported SD card. When I click on the card through the phone, it only gives me one option is to setup. Once I click setup, it will stuck at 20%.............

Is it because the card was formatted as internal storage and the PC can't recognize it as a card ?

Like I said, this never happens to any of previous MicroSD cards until I use the internal storage formatting..........
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
20807 posts
6623 upvotes
London
I use the old raspbmc installer by Sam Nazako. I use the "restore device for formatting" button so that the SD card can be fully formatted in Windows

I think esus partition tool can do the same thing
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
Or take it one step further and boot Linux (even a live session) and run gParted. If the memory cards can be reformatted, then gParted should be able to do it.

Be sure to format in FAT32.
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg Genesis/InLock/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Deal Guru
Jun 7, 2005
10358 posts
1482 upvotes
Toronto
I tried both SD formatter and esus partition tool, buy no luck. SD formatter can't format it. And in partition tool, I wiped all existing partitions and created a new one but then can't format it......

l69norm wrote: I use the old raspbmc installer by Sam Nazako. I use the "restore device for formatting" button so that the SD card can be fully formatted in Windows

I think esus partition tool can do the same thing

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)