Microsoft and Sony team up for steaming and cloud based gaming services

• Last Updated:
  • May 31st, 2019 5:26 pm
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
11822 posts
5908 upvotes

Microsoft and Sony team up for steaming and cloud based gaming services

It is interesting to see Microsoft and Sony work together for game streaming and cloud services.
Microsoft's Cloud services are a very profitable segment of their business operations and earns more gross profit margin than their Games division,
therefore it seems MS does not mind teaming up with Sony for future game streaming services.

https://www.engadget.com/2019/05/16/son ... streaming/

XBox Live OS and possibly XBox Game Pass are rumored to be be coming to iOS and Nintendo Switch soon:
https://www.theverge.com/2019/2/4/18210 ... s-platform

Microsoft does have the potential resources to buy ownership stake in Sony or Nintendo outright later down the line but for now it seems unlikely.
4 replies
Nov 4, 2018
12 posts
3 upvotes
Cloud is the future, no matter we like it or not.
Aug 20, 2009
9825 posts
5933 upvotes
Risers749 wrote: Cloud is the future, no matter we like it or not.
No thanks. "The cloud" has too much latency for several genres I play and I'm uninterested in an ownership model where a company can just nuke content because of licensing issues that I already paid for.
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
21783 posts
4903 upvotes
Toronto
Redmask wrote: No thanks. "The cloud" has too much latency for several genres I play and I'm uninterested in an ownership model where a company can just nuke content because of licensing issues that I already paid for.
I'm guessing they're going to be moving to a Playstation Now/Netflix style of gaming, where you pay for access to servers with all of their games. Steam-style cloud models appear to be a thing of the past.

It has its benefits, as there are a lot of older Steam games I bought when I was still running Windows XP that no longer run on modern systems. Cloud gaming services allow these companies to keep older hardware around that can run these games perfectly and stream them to any platform with very low client-side power requirements. My TV has PS Now functionality built into it, so all I need is a Dualshock, a subscription, and decently fast internet access and I can play any game available on their service.