Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Microsoft Store

$124.99 - Alcatel Idol 4S GSM Unlocked Phone

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 25th, 2018 7:10 pm
Banned
May 17, 2005
4845 posts
661 upvotes

[Microsoft Store] $124.99 - Alcatel Idol 4S GSM Unlocked Phone

CAD $124.99 Alcatel Idol 4S GSM Unlocked

Description
• 5.5" Full HD AMOLED display
• 21MP low light camera
• 64GB storage/expandable to 128GB via microSD
• Windows 10

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/store/d ... chspecstab
258 replies
May 26, 2013
124 posts
93 upvotes
Guelph
Only if you could install android on it. Crying Face
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2004
1057 posts
531 upvotes
Montreal
Unfortunately it's the Win10 version and can't be converted to Android.
Not worth it anymore, it's 2018, Win10 is dead (app ecosystem).
Aug 22, 2015
281 posts
259 upvotes
Longueuil, qc
It was $199 during the Holidays. For the specs, it's a hot deal if you want a phone and not a mini-PC: you won't find many apps for it.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2013
2392 posts
17569 upvotes
Spinifex wrote: For the specs, it's a hot deal if you want a phone and not a mini-PC: you won't find many apps for it.
I was going to suggest the opposite - this is a hot deal for a mini-PC for corporate or living room use. Not as a phone.
Banned
May 17, 2005
4845 posts
661 upvotes
now how easy/possible would be to glue this phone to a pc monitor and use as cheap "pc" ?
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2006
1488 posts
344 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
This $125 version doesn't come with VR. The $199 version with VR is still available.
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2011
1886 posts
390 upvotes
Toronto
Is it fast enough once connect to monitor though for surfing/netflix??

Tempted to buy for parent but if no support, that probably means no weChat/whatsapp, facebook, youtube app support?
Oct 4, 2017
140 posts
122 upvotes
With the mid range phone deals lately, even $125 is pushing. Sure its better than Moto G4, but we've been bombarded with S7 and such at this price range.
Feb 18, 2014
688 posts
1410 upvotes
azybcxrfd wrote: Is it fast enough once connect to monitor though for surfing/netflix??

Tempted to buy for parent but if no support, that probably means no weChat/whatsapp, facebook, youtube app support?
For what it's worth, both my parents are on Lumia 635 (from the $35 AT&T deal a few years back) and Whatsapp is the app that gets the most support/update. Windows mobile is 'dead' but at this price point this is a great deal for light users like my parents that just want to call, txt, whatsapp and light web surfing. For their use there is nothing comparable specs wise for $125 in the android market. Very tempted to upgrade them.
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2005
1275 posts
641 upvotes
Not quite sure what you mean by light web surfing (unless all mobile phones fall into that category) but websurfing on this phone shouldn't be any different than a comparable iOS or Android - maybe even faster and smoother.

However, despite the tempting price for the HW, biggest problem as others mentioned is the dead-end ecosystem - this would be a perfect phone for most normal users EVEN IF the current supported apps (Whatsapp, Facebook, Viber, Telegram , 3rd party Youtube apps, etc etc) continued their support on WM10 - but chances are, they will all discontinue their support much sooner than later, which renders the phone useless from apps perspective and only good for phone/SMS/camera/M$ apps/Browsing (and maybe a portable media player which I currently use my wifes L650 for).

I've been a long term supporter of WM10 (Windows CE/Mobile, WP7/8/10) and had all my immediate family on WM till a few months ago and now most except my mom have moved on.

I'd personally jump on this deal (at least for my mom to upgrade her L640) if Whatsapp & Telegram guaranteed support for one more year but given the uncertaintiy, even I would have to pass on this deal :(

shorfd wrote: For what it's worth, both my parents are on Lumia 635 (from the $35 AT&T deal a few years back) and Whatsapp is the app that gets the most support/update. Windows mobile is 'dead' but at this price point this is a great deal for light users like my parents that just want to call, txt, whatsapp and light web surfing. For their use there is nothing comparable specs wise for $125 in the android market. Very tempted to upgrade them.
Deal Expert
Oct 27, 2003
18444 posts
9757 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
Dead ecosystem. Obviously app support is dead, but the bigger issue is that Microsoft itself won't be supporting or improving this phone in any meaningful way in the future. It will get only bare bones security updates, MS has made that pretty clear.

Good phone for Grandma who just wants to talk and text. Although there are cheaper options for that.
Mar 9, 2014
660 posts
667 upvotes
Ottawa
This is not very good as a cheap computer. It won't support legacy .exe applications.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 13, 2003
5408 posts
6418 upvotes
shorfd wrote: For what it's worth, both my parents are on Lumia 635 (from the $35 AT&T deal a few years back) and Whatsapp is the app that gets the most support/update. Windows mobile is 'dead' but at this price point this is a great deal for light users like my parents that just want to call, txt, whatsapp and light web surfing. For their use there is nothing comparable specs wise for $125 in the android market. Very tempted to upgrade them.
It's hard to predict how long the app developer will continue to support the Windows platform, so I think $125 should be spent somewhere else.
get what is cheap, not what you need :lol:
Jul 7, 2017
50 posts
44 upvotes
EBATES: 1.0% Cash Back on Cash Back on Band, Phones, Accessories, Services, Surface Devices, Xbox Console, Accessories
Jan 23, 2016
37 posts
9 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
I only see $199 somehow.
nevermind
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2002
4150 posts
3251 upvotes
Toronto
Was set to order this for my mom still on the Lumia 520. She only uses talk n text/mms. She wanted to move up to a bigger screen since she realized how much easier it is to text after playing with a relatives s6 over the holidays.
However the jump from 4" to 5 .5" was too big for her after she saw my LG g3. Ended up overpaying for the lumia 640 on Amazon for $120 since she was so set on a 5" screen, and already accustomed to Windows phone. The 640 is on my desk updating to win10 as I type this....I'm so tempted to send it back to Amazon and order this anyway and just give it to her Smiling Face With Halo
For $5 more it's a far superior hardware.
Feb 21, 2015
171 posts
152 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
Does anyone know what bands the phone actually supports on the label on the box? The Microsoft website shows LTE 2/4/12 but I've read on Windows Central it might actually be 2,4,12,5,7,17?

You could also save ~10% if you use try using the Costco Xbox live giftcards to buy the phone.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)