• Last Updated:
  • Mar 20th, 2013 9:43 pm
Dec 12, 2003
654 posts
111 upvotes
Toronto
coffeebean wrote:
Dec 13th, 2012 4:27 pm
I just wanted to help anyone who got caught up in the hype and forgot to think about the details. But if what it offers is exactly what you need, then all is good.
I don't believe you're here to help at all. Most of your comments have only been criticisms based on your own opinion that others will not agree with. Secondly, what hype are you referring to? Apple and Android have had super hype for years and now you're upset because Microsoft gets a tiny bit of hype on this thread?
Dec 12, 2003
654 posts
111 upvotes
Toronto
Upset at your trolling, yes.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2007
1028 posts
147 upvotes
.EE. wrote:
Dec 13th, 2012 4:36 pm
coffeebean wrote:
I just wanted to help anyone who got caught up in the hype and forgot to think about the details. But if what it offers is exactly what you need, then all is good.

I don't believe you're here to help at all. Most of your comments have only been criticisms based on your own opinion that others will not agree with. Secondly, what hype are you referring to? Apple and Android have had super hype for years and now you're upset because Microsoft gets a tiny bit of hype on this thread?
What comments and criticisms outside of science aren't based on opinion? And what is wrong with stating opinions?

It's my opinion that my concerns about the limitations of this platform will be helpful to those that have similar breadth of requirements, and so I was motivated to voice my opinion.

I've said everything I needed to say, on this matter, and I think reasonable people will be able to judge from the above quote who is the unreasonable troll, taking everything personally here.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 30, 2011
6974 posts
654 upvotes
even in the field of science, most are opinions.

I believe people just don't like negative things on RFD hotdeals forum, kind of 'only praise is appreciated or you can leave'. I am kind of on the opposite in that I would like to listen to negatives as buyer's remorse and hassle of return out weight the 'joy' everyone knows about(or will know about eventually).
Deal Addict
May 18, 2007
1028 posts
147 upvotes
chimp wrote:
Dec 13th, 2012 4:55 pm
even in the field of science, most are opinions.

I believe people just don't like negative things on RFD hotdeals forum, kind of 'only praise is appreciated or you can leave'. I am kind of on the opposite in that I would like to listen to negatives as buyer's remorse and hassle of return out weight the 'joy' everyone knows about(or will know about eventually).
It's not just the hotdeals forum, it's the whole RFD forum. I've been here for years and have hardly ever seen one person on any forum leave unscathed after voicing a less than perfect praise about any product.

It's almost as if majority of the members here are corporate plants that just want you to BUY BUY BUY.
Dec 12, 2003
654 posts
111 upvotes
Toronto
coffeebean wrote:
Dec 13th, 2012 4:51 pm
What comments and criticisms outside of science aren't based on opinion? And what is wrong with stating opinions?
It's my opinion that my concerns about the limitations of this platform will be helpful to those that have similar breadth of requirements, and so I was motivated to voice my opinion.
I've said everything I needed to say, on this matter, and I think reasonable people will be able to judge from the above quote who is the unreasonable troll, taking everything personally here.
I love criticism. I myself am critical of all companies, be it Microsoft, Apple or Google. I switch brands easily based on the quality of a product. The difference here is your criticism is not logical and have constant praise of Android. You're not the first one critical here and won't be the last and I haven't had any issues with the others who have made valid critical points. So using simpleton excuses as "taking everything personally here" are childish. By the way, I have Android phones and just bought an Android tablet less than 2 months ago. Do you own any Windows 8/RT product?
Deal Addict
May 18, 2007
1028 posts
147 upvotes
I have used Windows 8 RT and Windows 8 Pro and found them both very limited in their Metro Style offerings, too limiting for my requirements.

This is not a problem for 8 Pro since you can fall back to x86 progs but it is a serious problem for RT since you can't.

Fact that I am patiently waiting for Surface Pro as I find neither Android, iOS nor Windows 8 RT fully fits my needs proves my neutrality.

Now lets review our history:

Me: saying RT 8 is immature
It applies to every electronics device in early adaption phase. That's why by buying at the next "Growth" phase, instead of the "Introduction" phase you'll get more for your money, Android and iOS are well into their "Growth" and "Mature" phase, so you get what you pay for immediately, instead of waiting while your device depreciates .
----------------------------

You: saying making false analogy about accessories.
Do you buy a car because you like the car or because of the accessories you can buy for it after? Everyone's world doesn't revolve around apps (many of which steal personal information). I don't believe you understand the concept. Besides, the app list is growing if that is your thing.

I'm loving Windows 8/RT. It actually is very refined and feels like I'm holding a computer in my hand, giving me both the best of tablet entertainment functions and PC functions. Both Android and iOS still feel like simple entertainment OSes. By the way, with Remote Desktop, I can do heavy productivity (ie. programming) on this little VivoTab RT with keyboard dock that I can take anywhere with me.

Let's not forget, all this for $399!
-----------------------------

ME: Correcting your analogy that it's software compatibility is more analogous to road compatibility than accessory compatibility in cars
for clarification of your analogy, you're right, you don't buy a car for the accessories, just as one won't buy a tablet based on the available cases.

But most logical people would buy a car based on what roads its allowed to run on. Your car may look great in the garage and drive way, but really, if its main function is to get you from point A to point B and point B ISN'T the other end of your driveway, then it may be time to look for another car, no matter how great the grill or dashboard looks.

Age old MAC vs PC question.

BTW, Android has PocketCloud, works well with RDP.

Like I said @ the $399 price, TF700 and Nexus 10 available too.

------------

You: asking for proof for the perceived incompatibilities and limitations in RT8
And what exactly is it that bothers you about Windows 8/RT that it only gets you to "the other end of your driveway"? I can do more *useful* things with it than I could with any Android tablet, even with the huge app collection.

Android & iOS are not in the same class as Windows 8/RT.
------------------

Me: explaining the obvious application shortage natural to any immature platform
There's a plenty LOT of programs from companies, and often small time developers, that just don't have time to support YET ANOTHER platform.

It was hard enough to wait for them to come from iOS to Android. If someone were to give me a Win8RT tab for free on condition that I wasn't allowed to use Android Tablet, I would say No Thanks!! at the blink of a eye.
---------------------

You: not satisfied and demanding concrete program names
No thanks for coming in this thread and giving us no logical explanation of your bashing. We're all a few brain cells short now after reading your comments. Have a good day!
----------------

me: providing the concrete program names
There is not much point in LISTING the names of programs I personally find unavailable in the Windows 8 RT platform, because everyone will have a SEPARATE list.

What I find unavailable will be irrelevant to others and vice versa.

But to humour you:
Productivity:

SafeWallet (syncs all your passwords encrypted with desktop app thru Dropbox)
Cloud Print (allows printing on ANY printer over the network, not just certain printers with app support)
Unified Remote
FolderSync
Insight Timer Mediation
FBReader (ePub and Text to Speech reader)
Outlook Substitutes (TaskSync, Pure Calendar widget, Calendar)
DSLR Controller
TapeRecorder (MP3 encoding)
GNotes - Sync Notes with
Cantonese Phonic
Kleio Flashcards Open Beta
My Interval Timer Pro

Media:
新城音樂娛樂
Pulse News
IVONA Text to Speech Engine
Perfect Ear
SVOX Cantonese粵語 (Cantonese Text to Speech)
SketchBook Mobile
Hanping Chinese Dictionary
Web Page Reader
InstaFetch PRO
Pleco Chinese Dictionary

Utilities:
App Protector Pro (Application by Application Locker)
avast! Mobile Security
An2An Keyboard (Tablet control of PC)
Tasker (customize the automation of ANY thing you want on your device) (Turn on WiFi at X Time, Turn off X at X GPS location, etc)

Games:
Rebuild
Sixaxis Controller
[Countless Games]
------------------------

You: bashing me and trying to discredit my post since it's based on opinion, and making it personal
------------------------

You: now trying to sound reasonable to viewers of this thread, but still actually unreasonable. Still claiming my criticism (based on my use cases and others similarly use cases) is illogical even after I've listed the concrete requirements (the program list) as proof of the limitations on the RT8 platform.
I love criticism. I myself am critical of all companies, be it Microsoft, Apple or Google. I switch brands easily based on the quality of a product. The difference here is your criticism is not logical.
----------------------------------

I guess one might be inclined to take it personally (or at the VERY LEAST, VERY DEFENSIVE), if one bought 2 of these as you did.
Dec 12, 2003
654 posts
111 upvotes
Toronto
^ You've got too much time on your hands.

- Regarding the analogy. Your whole world view of tablets is based on the number of 3rd party apps available - which is YOUR view. This is what I was referring to. It's quite simple.
- I'll say it again, your posts are praising Android in a Windows 8/RT thread.
- So you decided to start bashing Windows 8/RT in this thread because it didn't fit YOUR needs.

I'm having a terrible time taking you seriously.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2007
1028 posts
147 upvotes
Except I've already said it was MY view:
.EE. wrote:
Dec 13th, 2012 4:36 pm
coffeebean wrote:

What's the point you're trying to prove?
Sep 28, 2008
556 posts
43 upvotes
.EE. wrote:
Dec 13th, 2012 5:51 pm

I'm having a terrible time taking you seriously.
You aren't the only one.

It's extremely obvious that Coffeebean (and Chimp, for that matter) have an axe to grind against Microsoft, for whatever reasons. That's fine, but then come out and state it as so. The way Coffeebean has carried on in this thread, for pages and pages and pages, is comical. He claims to be doing it as a good samaritan, saving those who may have the same opinion as him. The amount of effort he puts in saving these people from a potential purchase is incredible; give this man an award of some type!

Someone who spends +20 pages trashing a product in a hot deals thread, when they have never even owned the product (and I have serious doubts that he has ever used it either) OBVIOUSLY is simply trolling. There is just no possible way to defend that kind of behavior, as much as he tries, and fails.

EDIT:

GUARANTEED that when the Surface Pro becomes available, coffeebean posts that a) he changed his mind on buying it because it can't do anything, the battery, blah blah blah or b) he claims to have bought it but returned it as it was inferior to Android products he has, blah blah blah. Guaranteed.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2007
1028 posts
147 upvotes
bigEfromGP wrote:
Dec 13th, 2012 6:06 pm
You aren't the only one.

It's extremely obvious that Coffeebean (and Chimp, for that matter) have an axe to grind against Microsoft, for whatever reasons.
Is that why I am running everything Microsoft and eager to buy the Surface Pro?

I freely admit there is a LOT of limitation to Android.
bigEfromGP wrote:
That's fine, but then come out and state it as so. The way Coffeebean has carried on in this thread, for pages and pages and pages, is comical. He claims to be doing it as a good samaritan, saving those who may have the same opinion as him. The amount of effort he puts in saving these people from a potential purchase is incredible; give this man an award of some type!

Someone who spends +20 pages trashing a product in a hot deals thread,

Does the persistence of effort in explaining ones views have any relation on the truthfulness on the view itself?

So the more work a scientist puts into proving his/her research the less true it must be?
bigEfromGP wrote:
when they have never even owned the product (and I have serious doubts that he has ever used it either) OBVIOUSLY is simply trolling. There is just no possible way to defend that kind of behavior, as much as he tries, and fails.
Since when did persistence in explaining our personal views become something that is akin to trolling and needs defending?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 30, 2011
6974 posts
654 upvotes
bigEfromGP wrote:
You aren't the only one.

It's extremely obvious that Coffeebean (and Chimp, for that matter) have an axe to grind against Microsoft, for whatever reasons.
I cannot comment about coffeebean as I didn't read much of his posts(thus not in the position to even have opininon), but saying me have an axe to grind against Microsoft with term 'extremely obvious' is laughable, you have serious reading problem or you haven't read too much of what I said.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 30, 2011
6974 posts
654 upvotes
coffeebean wrote:
Dec 13th, 2012 6:17 pm
Since when did persistence in explaining our personal views become something that is akin to trolling and needs defending?
since when there is a thing called RFD :-)
× < >