• Mar 20th, 2013 9:43 pm
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2006
4413 posts
1222 upvotes
Canada,Eh!
paul66 wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2012 5:05 pm
Obviously a typo. I was still shopping at the mall when I made the post. The idea was just to let everyone on the board know right away, so no one missed out. Sorry. I corrected my orig. post.
No sweat.
I just thought that perhaps you actually got the deal of the Century,LOL!!!!!!!
Jan 2, 2008
150 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto
based on reviews. the transformer infinity is much much better
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2007
2694 posts
492 upvotes
Montreal
82 wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2012 2:59 pm
keyboard is better for Word and typing long or technical emails. Keyboard and mouse is a lot intuitive to do Cut/Copy/Paste than using gestures. This is true even for non-x86 apps. The nice thing about the detachable keyboard is you have a choice to use the device as a tablet or ultrabook and the choice is avaialble now (for Win8/iPad/Android). I think chimp is more waiting for the price. Win8 Pro tablet from Acer and Samsung are available. I think one model even use Intel Clovertrail which should rival ARM in battery life according to benchmark from Anandtech.

Too bad, there is no good Win8 Tablet deal from BB/FS this boxing day :(
We were not debating the value of a keyboard for content creation (I believe everyone agrees on it being useful for that). The debate was about the importance of being able to run x86 apps. My point is that other than Office (that exists for RT), there are few x86 apps that people will want to run on this tablet if a modern touch-optimized version of the app (or similar) exists. So I'm saying the fact that RT does not run x86 apps should not be an issue for most people (of course Chimp is allowed to be an exception :cool :) .

-GT
Banned
Dec 8, 2012
212 posts
15 upvotes
Mississauga
Who WANTS to go to Yorkdale at this time of the month?
YUCK!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 30, 2011
6986 posts
654 upvotes
GT!! wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2012 7:25 pm
So I'm saying the fact that RT does not run x86 apps should not be an issue for most people (of course Chimp is allowed to be an exception :cool :) .

-GT
It is not an issue and why I said it is DOA as the usage would be very limited. iPad is an exception, not a norm. Every other 'tablet' can be classified as a failure. The 7" is something I am not sure due to the phalet effect(or the ever large smart phone). Of course, none of these can be discussed in a vacuum(or basically price point). Most people don't mind having a 200 bucks 10" tablet the calibrate of surface RT at home, at 500 bucks I have my doubt.

edit:
http://www.afr.com/p/technology/microso ... EmBJuIzOqI
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2002
2854 posts
428 upvotes
paul66 wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2012 12:20 pm
These are back in stock at MS Store!!
Just bought 2 sets 30 minutes ago. Still at mall.

They received 200 tablets last night, but only had about 10 docks...of which I bought 2. But you can get the tablet and get the keyboard doc though the online offer, at no extra charge.
Thanks 'paul66' for the post - I'd phoned all week and had a US based phone rep checking daily - she called me on Friday morning saying "Stock is coming in today", but subsequent calls I made Friday afternoon and evening had reps saying "not yet". Friday evening, I found a US phone rep kind enough to patch me through to an actual Yorkdale store employee (first time all week!), and she told me "We're expecting them tomorrow, I'll call you when they're in". I called again around 10:30am Saturday and was told "Not yet", so seeing your post a couple of hours later was the welcome news I was waiting for. I called to confirm around 2PM (they confirmed it was in stock but no kb docks left), and headed down a few hours later. (And I never did receive that promised phone call Saturday).
Ustasa wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2012 7:35 pm
Who WANTS to go to Yorkdale at this time of the month?
YUCK!
I was dreading the parking situation at Yorkdale, and on the drive heard on the radio "Long lines of cars waiting to get in to Yorkdale", but the highways were better than most, and I sailed into the Yorkdale parking lot unimpeded. A 4 minute wait and I had a spot 20 seconds from the MS Store entrance. Walked in, it was crazy busy in the store, but I found a free rep right away, and had the Vivotab RT in my hands literally 1 minute later. Sure, Yorkdale was "very busy" but I have to say this was one of the easiest shopping experiences I've had there in a long time!
ericw wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2012 12:28 pm
Still debating if I should price match FS instead as I have $500 gift cards to burn...
YMMV, but once I'd confirmed they were in stock, I called FS online to request a PM, and they put me on hold and then denied the PM, explaining that the MS Store is "OEM", citing their PM Policy:
FutureShop PM Policy wrote:Our Price Beat Promise does not apply to Boxing Day prices, advertising errors or misprints, special educational prices, restricted offers, mail order offers, rebates, coupons, premiums, free or bonus offers, OEM products, limited or minimum quantity or limited time offers, close-outs, liquidations, clearances, and financing offers.
I argued that ASUS isn't a MS OEM product, but he wasn't having it, and for $20 and the fact that FS is sold out within a 25km radius of where I live, I wasn't going to make a big deal out of it.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2006
9127 posts
1224 upvotes
When Windows app store has enough apps, then it will become a true competitor of iOS and Android. Until then, x86 compatiblity will help to leverage Microsoft's desktop strength. For a RT with keyboard dock, x86 compatiblity would be a a very nice feature but not possible due to architecture difference between x86 and ARM.

btw, Office RT doesn't has Outlook, an important business app.

GT!! wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2012 7:25 pm
We were not debating the value of a keyboard for content creation (I believe everyone agrees on it being useful for that). The debate was about the importance of being able to run x86 apps. My point is that other than Office (that exists for RT), there are few x86 apps that people will want to run on this tablet if a modern touch-optimized version of the app (or similar) exists. So I'm saying the fact that RT does not run x86 apps should not be an issue for most people (of course Chimp is allowed to be an exception :cool :) .

-GT
Dec 12, 2003
667 posts
136 upvotes
Toronto
Good news. We already have confirmed news that Dell will be making Windows 8 tablets in 2013. Now, there are rumours via MobileSyrup that HTC and Nokia will also release Windows 8/RT tablets in 2013. The ball is starting to roll for Windows 8/RT :) I think Google has more to worry about with Microsoft than Apple.
Dec 31, 2003
931 posts
41 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I am wondering if anyone got the free keyboard dock by submitting the picture of serial number label and the purchase receipt without cutting out the label from the box?
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2002
2854 posts
428 upvotes
ecaps wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2012 12:45 am
I am wondering if anyone got the free keyboard dock by submitting the picture of serial number label and the purchase receipt without cutting out the label from the box?
.. I'd be surprised. I think the point of cutting it out is to prove that you actually purchased it. You'd have to have pretty big balls to cut one out of an unpurchased box in a store and snap a pic of it!

I suppose it also ensures that you won't be returning the item .. as most stores don't accept non defective items that have UPC barcodes cut from the original packaging.
Dec 31, 2003
931 posts
41 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I got one from FutureShop and after hearing people having all the trouble and still haven't received their dock after 6 weeks makes me nervous to cut the label out. But moomoosaurus said he returned his to BestBuy after claiming his dock on Asus website, and he actually received the dock after the return. How can he return it if he cut the label out?
Mar 12, 2004
643 posts
61 upvotes
Toronto, ON
ecaps wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2012 1:11 am
I got one from FutureShop and after hearing people having all the trouble and still haven't received their dock after 6 weeks makes me nervous to cut the label out. But moomoosaurus said he returned his to BestBuy after claiming his dock on Asus website, and he actually received the dock after the return. How can he return it if he cut the label out?[/]

Photoshop?
Dec 21, 2012
767 posts
177 upvotes
You don't need to cut out the SN. Several people (if you followed this thread from the beginning) have successfully claimed their keyboard without cutting the SN out.
Jul 21, 2008
44 posts
4 upvotes
ducatirider wrote:
Dec 17th, 2012 2:38 pm
just got my keyboard from fedex. came air from fremont cali. very small but i'll get used to it.
did you buy from FS or Bestbuy? Or did you get it from the MS Store?
May 13, 2006
250 posts
49 upvotes
netmind wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2012 11:53 pm
did you buy from FS or Bestbuy? Or did you get it from the MS Store?
got it from the ms store in vancouver
× < >