Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2004
3801 posts
85 upvotes
Toronto
MehtabSingh wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2014 8:40 am
Buddy you can put pirated win7 on it...google mydigitallife
I may check that out. I remember reading some posts here where some have tried to put Win7 on a Win8 machine but there's some headaches involved. I know it is possible though.

Here's a good article on how to make Win8 look and feel like Win7. I may give that a go before going on to Win7.

http://blog.laptopmag.com/make-windows-8-like-windows-7

Even still, I think I might just keep this MBPr and return the XPS12.

Oh yeah, another weird thing. I use Chrome as my default browser and it looks like crap in desktop mode but when I use IE it looks fantastic. So some desktop apps aren't even running at full 1080p resolution.
Proud supporter of Tour for Kids and Ride for Karen!

Come chat live with other RFD'ers on IRC! #redflagdeals on EFNet!

Peace!
Jul 22, 2006
74 posts
21 upvotes
I had exactly the same issue with the touchpad. It works much better after I updated the Synaptics driver and change the touch sensitivity according to this thread on the Dell website: http://en.community.dell.com/support-fo ... 25922.aspx.

Regarding Windows 8, I like it more and more everyday. Make sure you upgrade to Win 8.1.

sidshock wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2014 10:13 am
also, the scrolling on it is just off...
Two finger scroll of web pages, and it just jumps the opposite way on me VERY often. ie: 1 out of 5 scroll attempts.
I tried re-positioning my fingers trying to be precise, too precise even. Still does it. Almost wondering if it's a defect. But I feel it is Windows.
This is on xps12. Machine is VERY nice though. Wish I can hackintosh it!
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2004
3801 posts
85 upvotes
Toronto
sidshock wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2014 10:13 am
also, the scrolling on it is just off...
Two finger scroll of web pages, and it just jumps the opposite way on me VERY often. ie: 1 out of 5 scroll attempts.
I tried re-positioning my fingers trying to be precise, too precise even. Still does it. Almost wondering if it's a defect. But I feel it is Windows.
This is on xps12. Machine is VERY nice though. Wish I can hackintosh it!
Here I was thinking that was only happening to me! The touchpad two finger scrolling was also reversed! You can change that in the Dell touchpad options though.

As for the scroll jumping mine does it when I try to scroll down a bit to jumps to the bottom of the page.

Peace!
Dec 18, 2004
184 posts
71 upvotes
Dartmouth
Anyone with info on the 15z backorders? Many still waiting?
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2005
1403 posts
258 upvotes
Toronto
Falcon2004 wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2014 1:00 pm
Anyone with info on the 15z backorders? Many still waiting?
Still waiting, also havent been charged again yet. I assume once the charges reappear they are back in stock. I just hope this doesnt drag out to Feb.
Jul 11, 2010
52 posts
3 upvotes
If anyone has an unopened 15z and would like to sell, please let me know. Wife just registered for a course and requires a laptop.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2003
3317 posts
405 upvotes
Hamilton
Yep, found that article earlier. Did it. Seems fixed!
Thanks....!!
Yes, on Windows 8.1 now. Don't see any differences. However, I did not really try anything other than IE on 8, then went right to the update.
mtmy wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2014 12:23 pm
I had exactly the same issue with the touchpad. It works much better after I updated the Synaptics driver and change the touch sensitivity according to this thread on the Dell website: http://en.community.dell.com/support-fo ... 25922.aspx.

Regarding Windows 8, I like it more and more everyday. Make sure you upgrade to Win 8.1.
Pro wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2014 12:26 pm
Here I was thinking that was only happening to me! The touchpad two finger scrolling was also reversed! You can change that in the Dell touchpad options though.

As for the scroll jumping mine does it when I try to scroll down a bit to jumps to the bottom of the page.
Mine was the opposite. As I scrolled the page down, as soon as I released both fingers, it would bump it self back up by about a page.
Anyways, just uninstall the trackpad driver, and install the latest off dell website.
I personally didn't uninstall the older, I just updated with the latest. Been good since ( 3-4 hrs ago ).
I'm trying to like it. But when I use my 15" mbpr, it just responds and feels so much better. I'm going to give it a week....
(it's not the size difference 15 vs 12. It's the trackpad responsiveness vs what I'm used to. It just kills the experience. )

edit:
seems the 15z is now listed at $849.
No stock status button however.
http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msc ... .291137800
Dec 10, 2013
57 posts
2 upvotes
Markham
Well... looks like Yorkdale doesnt have the XPS 12...
Jul 11, 2013
198 posts
133 upvotes
Toronto
The link is to a picture of the image retention problem on my XPS 12. It from the bottom left corner of the screen. The image retention is from leaving a static image on the screen for about 3 to 4 minutes. I then switched over to the a dark screen (in this case the "Change PC Settings" screen). You can clearly see the icons in the menu bar.

There are comments in the Dell forum that the problem only gets worse in that the images take a longer time to go away. I would check carefully to make sure that your XPS 12 laptop doesn't have this problem.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6B3bA ... sp=sharing
Dec 9, 2006
914 posts
71 upvotes
Mississauga
Anyone with the 15z experiencing horrible battery life?...I get maybe 2.5-3 hours on power saving mode with the brightness all the way off, Bluetooth off, just doing regular browsing, and the backlit keyboard off as well...
Jul 11, 2013
198 posts
133 upvotes
Toronto
SWstriker17 wrote:
Jan 6th, 2014 12:02 am
Anyone with the 15z experiencing horrible battery life?...I get maybe 2.5-3 hours on power saving mode with the brightness all the way off, Bluetooth off, just doing regular browsing, and the backlit keyboard off as well...
Did you check your battery settings? Dell has a battery utility that limits the maximum charge on the battery to less than 100% to prolong the life of the battery. My understanding is that, if this feature is turned on, your battery won't be fully charged eventhough the battery meter says it is 100% charged. I did manage to get around 4 hours or so on my Dell 15z.
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2004
3801 posts
85 upvotes
Toronto
I'm starting to like this XPS12 a little more and more. The build quality is truly amazing. I just didn't have enough time to actually get used to the wholes windows 8 and all. It's actually pretty good. The thing is it's past the return date for the MBPr that I have so I have to keep it. I'm on the fence if I should still keep this XPS12 too or just take it back and wait for another generation.

Great price on this device!

Peace!
Deal Addict
May 26, 2008
1266 posts
377 upvotes
Thornhill
Pro wrote:
Jan 7th, 2014 2:48 pm
I'm starting to like this XPS12 a little more and more. The build quality is truly amazing. I just didn't have enough time to actually get used to the wholes windows 8 and all. It's actually pretty good. The thing is it's past the return date for the MBPr that I have so I have to keep it. I'm on the fence if I should still keep this XPS12 too or just take it back and wait for another generation.

Great price on this device!
Did you get your Touchpad working normally? I had the same sensitivity issue, all you have to do is just toned down the sensitivity setting in the Touchpad properties and you should be good.
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2004
3801 posts
85 upvotes
Toronto
risktaker84 wrote:
Jan 7th, 2014 3:47 pm
Did you get your Touchpad working normally? I had the same sensitivity issue, all you have to do is just toned down the sensitivity setting in the Touchpad properties and you should be good.
It's working a bit better but still somewhat sensitive. I upgraded the drivers and that helped. I'll try adjusting the settings like you mentioned and see if that helps some more.

Peace!
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2004
3801 posts
85 upvotes
Toronto
risktaker84 wrote:
Jan 7th, 2014 3:47 pm
When you say sensitivity, do you mean the palm rest sensitivity slider? I'm adjusting this stuff in the Dell Touchpad control panel.

Peace!