Hot Deals

[Microsoft Store] Dell Inspiron 15 5570 Laptop (15.6" Touchscreen/i5-8250U CPU/8GB Memory/1TB HDD) - $599

[OP]
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2004
10113 posts
4538 upvotes
Oil Country

[Microsoft Store] Dell Inspiron 15 5570 Laptop (15.6" Touchscreen/i5-8250U CPU/8GB Memory/1TB HDD) - $599

Been looking at laptop prices for the last little while, and this seemed like a really good deal. The only downside is that it doesn't come with an SSD. It's a cheap enough laptop, that you can probably upgrade to a decent sized SSD for under $200, if you want the performance boost.
40 replies
Mar 9, 2015
141 posts
57 upvotes
Calgary, AB
You can add a M.2 SSD/NVMe and keep the existing 1TB HDD in there.

Edit / addition:

There is NO USB-C port on this one.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2018
3831 posts
3763 upvotes
Decent for folks, jog towards this sale.

Here's the To-Do List:
- Upgrade RAM to 16gb
- Slap in an SSD

You can move on with life after that.
Nov 23, 2018
32 posts
19 upvotes
redflagdealsguy wrote:
Dec 5th, 2018 9:56 am
Decent for folks, jog towards this sale.

Here's the To-Do List:
- Upgrade RAM to 16gb
- Slap in an SSD

You can move on with life after that.
I don't think you need that 16 GB RAM though, but a SSD is a must.
May 23, 2008
582 posts
151 upvotes
Gtown
Good deal, I would get one if I needed a laptop. 16 GB is overkill for most folks, but as everyone else says, upgrading to SSD brings a laptop to its full potential.
Oct 9, 2018
72 posts
354 upvotes
I got the 13 inch version of this with the i5-7200U a couple years back, I would recommend upping the ram from the stock 8. It should have 2 slots, throw in another 8, a little lower if you want to save money, but make sure the new ram is as fast as the one you have installed. Also get an ssd, booting from the original drive was painfully slow.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
1300 posts
277 upvotes
Toronto
BRKAMZN wrote:
Dec 5th, 2018 9:58 am
I guess if you don't do much on your computer besides YouTube, browsing around a bit, and sending out emails then it's not really needed. But for everybody else I would suggest upgrading to 16 GB of RAM as well but it's definitely not needed right away. The SSD is more important. The RAM can wait a while. You'll see a difference when you open up a lot of different applications.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Mar 18, 2017
1 posts
Edmonton
"Ports 2 USB 3.1 Gen 1 • 1 USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type-C with PowerDelivery and Video (discrete only) • 1 USB 2.0 • 1 HDMI • 10/100 Gigabit Ethernet LAN • Headphone input/mic output combo jack"
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2008
2175 posts
65 upvotes
Toronto
I think this model has two slots. But filled with 2 4GB sticks
Eat, Sleep & Breathe RFD!! :twisted:
Nov 23, 2018
32 posts
19 upvotes
asdisme wrote:
Dec 5th, 2018 11:18 am
I think this model has two slots. But filled with 2 4GB sticks
I think it might depends on the unit itself lol.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2008
2175 posts
65 upvotes
Toronto
BRKAMZN wrote:
Dec 5th, 2018 12:54 pm
I think it might depends on the unit itself lol.
Each unit will vary? If so, check and find the 1 8GB.

The one I recieved from last year's deal came with 2 4gb sticks.
Eat, Sleep & Breathe RFD!! :twisted:
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2004
10113 posts
4538 upvotes
Oil Country
asdisme wrote:
Dec 5th, 2018 12:58 pm
Each unit will vary? If so, check and find the 1 8GB.

The one I recieved from last year's deal came with 2 4gb sticks.
I think two 4GB stick is likely cheaper than one 8GB stick, so it wouldn't surprise me if they shipped with two 4GB sticks.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2018
3831 posts
3763 upvotes
BRKAMZN wrote:
Dec 5th, 2018 9:58 am
If this is a daily driver, you do. Enough compromising in 2018/2019 when simple internet browsing can saturate RAM and force a page file onto the HDD/SSD.
Last edited by redflagdealsguy on Dec 5th, 2018 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May 23, 2008
582 posts
151 upvotes
Gtown
ds2chan wrote:
Dec 5th, 2018 10:31 am
I guess if you don't do much on your computer besides YouTube, browsing around a bit, and sending out emails then it's not really needed. But for everybody else I would suggest upgrading to 16 GB of RAM as well but it's definitely not needed right away. The SSD is more important. The RAM can wait a while. You'll see a difference when you open up a lot of different applications.
I am genuinely curious as to why most folk would need 16 GB. I am not saying more RAM is not better, I am typing this on a machine with 16 GB, but I felt no difference when going from 8 to 16 except, ahem, a couple of games.

So for most people, even with 20 Chrome tabs open and running Excel, Word and PowerPoint, 8 GB is enough. That's what I have at work, not once I felt the need for more RAM. The computer never stutters or anything like that, it is very consistent. What matters is the hard drive/SSD speed when doing normal work.

Now if you edit movies professionally or keep Photoshop always running cause you use it all the time, sure, go for 16 or 32. Last I time I used PS it needed three times as much RAM as the file size on the drive. But 95% of the people that just watch Youtube and are on Facebook and are not "content creators" would be more than fine with 8 GB. Even 4 is not bad...
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
1300 posts
277 upvotes
Toronto
RaidZero wrote:
Dec 5th, 2018 1:22 pm
I am genuinely curious as to why most folk would need 16 GB. I am not saying more RAM is not better, I am typing this on a machine with 16 GB, but I felt no difference when going from 8 to 16 except, ahem, a couple of games.

So for most people, even with 20 Chrome tabs open and running Excel, Word and PowerPoint, 8 GB is enough. That's what I have at work, not once I felt the need for more RAM. The computer never stutters or anything like that, it is very consistent. What matters is the hard drive/SSD speed when doing normal work.

Now if you edit movies professionally or keep Photoshop always running cause you use it all the time, sure, go for 16 or 32. Last I time I used PS it needed three times as much RAM as the file size on the drive. But 95% of the people that just watch Youtube and are on Facebook and are not "content creators" would be more than fine with 8 GB. Even 4 is not bad...
I'm not sure where all of the RAM is used up on but at work my computer was just so slow. I just realized that Windows 7 (I'm one of the few people who haven't gotten upgraded to 10 yet) was using up all of the RAM every single day. It just maxed out all the time. I just got upgraded to 16 GB and it was like night and day. At home, for the most part 8 GB is OK but I do see a difference when doing certain things, like resizing images (extremely basic stuff; I don't know how to make images look nice so I'm not a graphics guru) while playing videos on the 2nd monitor. Even my laptop runs a smoother.

The worst is when Windows 10 does it's updates in the background while you're trying to do stuff. My computer would come to a halt and that's when I know it's updating. I didn't know what was going on at first. Once I upgraded to 16 GB of RAM it was much, much better. I could still tell but it was just so much smoother.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"