• Last Updated:
  • Oct 15th, 2019 10:39 am
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2018
10602 posts
10667 upvotes
ZipSpeed wrote:
Sep 14th, 2019 12:28 am
So after playing with the laptop tonight, even after installing all the updates and tweaking the computer to maximize the performance, I still found web browsing and media playback to be sluggish. It wasn’t terrible by any means but I wanted something better. I decided to wipe the computer and install ChromiumOS through CloudReady.

This computer absolutely flies now. Webpages load quickly and there’s no stutter at all with Chrome. Install was easy and super quick. Direct integration with your Google account so all your bookmarks carry over from Chrome. No bloatware or anything preinstalled other than Dropbox. Haven’t encountered any funky hardware or driver issues but I’m not expecting to since this device is on the certified compatible list.

The N4000 CPU is fantastic when paired with a lightweight OS. Not so much with Windows. My two cents.
This thing is a Chromebook. And a fine one, it doesn't spec out properly for full Windows 10.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2004
2876 posts
522 upvotes
Toronto
ericw wrote:
Sep 13th, 2019 8:10 pm
Would this work well as a HTPC (with screen)? My mi box is giving me headache for slow down after sleep. Instead of getting an aging nvidia shield, maybe this will be more versatile with a wireless keyboard/touchpad?
Short answer: no.

What do you want to run? With DRM, movies and TV programs are licensed by media empires and are made available for a subset of "platforms". And then there's unauthorized use.

I find our Mi box works well for us. Not perfectly. It doesn't work well for Crave, so we use a PC for that. Nothing but Apple hardware works for the Apple empires (as far as I know). Amazon is playing games with Google so accessing it is yet another thing.

We use a tiny Windows PC for content that the Mi Box cannot provide (or does so too awkwardly). It is really clunky at this task. A notebook would surely be worse.

Before DRM took over, we used Myth TV on Linux. That was great. Now there's nothing much useful and authorized that you can do on a normal Linux distro.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2010
3091 posts
2493 upvotes
Markham
Hugh wrote:
Sep 14th, 2019 8:18 am
For privacy reasons, I don't "live in the cloud" so I have little experience with Google Docs and none with Office 360.

On Linux, I use LibreOffice (free, works for me). You could use it on Windows too.

There are lots of other choices.
Same here. I prefer Linux to ChromeOS as I can work on my Office documents offline in Linux.
My choice of Office suite on my daily beater - which is a Lenovo T420 running Xubuntu Linux - is the WPS Office. It has an interface closely imitates that of the MicroSoft Office. No effort at all to get use to running WPS Office if one uses the MS Office at work. WPS Office is free on Windows as well as Linux.
Oct 29, 2011
8 posts
Toronto
Confirmed Mississauga have stocks. I just picked one up from the store. Gonna cancel my online order.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 12, 2017
7829 posts
1817 upvotes
Scarberia
Hugh wrote:
Sep 14th, 2019 8:09 am
I don't know why your got that message.

The N4000 CPU certainly comes with virutalization hardware: VT-d, VT-x and VT-x with Extended Page Tables. See https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en ... 0-ghz.html

If you read your screenshot, you will see "Please check BIOS settings and ensure it is enabled". You should do that. But my impression is that few recent systems come with virtualization disabled by default.

Not being a Windows user, I don't know much about antivirus software.
ya i'll try to check the bios when im not lazy...how do u get into bios? tia

also anyone tried hdmi cable out to 4k tv, does it play netflix 4k?
*SIG: OptiPlex™ 790 i5-2400 @3.1ghz 12gb DDR3 ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit @$39.99 no 60FPS 4k youtube :( using D-Link DIR-890L AC3200
Feb 18, 2010
787 posts
269 upvotes
Greely
drdtyc wrote:
Sep 14th, 2019 11:37 am
WPS Office is free on Windows as well as Linux.
I'm going to have to check WPS Office out. My daily beater also runs Linux with LibreOffice. In fact, my 840 G1 came with Windows 10 and I bought a new SSD and loaded Linux Mint on it. My Windows 10 SSD has been sitting in a drawer for over a year, in case I need it...
Deal Addict
May 2, 2010
3091 posts
2493 upvotes
Markham
old sparks wrote:
Sep 14th, 2019 11:53 am
I'm going to have to check WPS Office out. My daily beater also runs Linux with LibreOffice. In fact, my 840 G1 came with Windows 10 and I bought a new SSD and loaded Linux Mint on it. My Windows 10 SSD has been sitting in a drawer for over a year, in case I need it...
I got it from here.
http://wps-community.org/
There are deb and rpm packages depending upon what flavour your Linux is.
For Linux Mint, probably you need the deb package.

By the way, I have been test-driving Xubuntu Linux 18.04.03 LTS on a Live USB thumb drive on the HP Stream 14 this morning. So far so good. All hardware works. No problem with wifi, too.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2011
1285 posts
768 upvotes
Vancouver
Yes, what you said.

I have windows flying on tablets and sticks with 1GB RAM and taking up 8-12GB disk space. Tweaks required and occasional cleaning of course. Disabling and uninstalling useless stuff too.

3 cheers for the OP! Great deal post "Rioluth".

Expires tomorrow night.
Hugh wrote:
Sep 14th, 2019 8:42 am
I dis Windows all the time but all OSes should have roughly similar performance doing similar common things. Otherwise the bad ones should die.

It might be interesting to figure out why you experienced poor performance in Windows. Maybe not worth your time, but interesting.

Actual measurements of performance issues often turns up surprising results. And I'm no Windows expert. Even so, I'll speculate.
  • In the background, Windows scans (all?) files to build an index for "full text" search. This is quite expensive. Especially the first time(s) you start Windows. Have you turned it off?
  • Windows scans for updates once in a while. It may even apply updates in the background. Windows Update seems unreasonably awkward and slow and uncommunicative.
  • Windows Update lies about your system being "up to date". Run it again. If a run doesn't do anything AND it says you are up to date, I think that you can believe it.
  • Anti-virus scanning makes almost everything slower. In ways that may be surprising. Each AV product may have different impacts.
I wonder if Windows S performs better than normal Win 10 on this hardware (less stuff).
Deal Addict
May 2, 2010
3091 posts
2493 upvotes
Markham
Has anyone upgraded the ram to 8GB?
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2004
1544 posts
98 upvotes
Is there anywhere to price match? Looks like Best Buy doesn't have stock any more (or it's all marketplace sellers)
Deal Addict
May 2, 2010
3091 posts
2493 upvotes
Markham
etherboy wrote:
Sep 14th, 2019 1:34 pm
Is there anywhere to price match? Looks like Best Buy doesn't have stock any more (or it's all marketplace sellers)
BB does not price match marketplace sellers' prices.
Also the extra 10% discount on the price difference has been discontinued.
Deal Addict
Jul 17, 2011
4048 posts
1532 upvotes
mikka2017 wrote:
Sep 14th, 2019 11:48 am
ya i'll try to check the bios when im not lazy...how do u get into bios? tia

also anyone tried hdmi cable out to 4k tv, does it play netflix 4k?
If you have a 4k TV, chances are that TV is a smart one and has Netflix app anyway.

No point to connect a laptop.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2011
1285 posts
768 upvotes
Vancouver
The MS Store has a better return policy.

Also, I'm not sure about this product, but they generally minimize bloatware on their products - - but that may be only for their "signature" items.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
5136 posts
1081 upvotes
Thornhill
Can it play 4k movies or videos. If not then this is garbage from 2004