• Oct 15th, 2019 9:55 pm
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2008
1822 posts
716 upvotes
White Rock
vincent8391 wrote:
Sep 15th, 2019 5:58 pm
Just FYI, you will need to unlock the battery remaining time in Bios in order to show battery remaining time on windows for this laptop.

Now mine show 13 hours remaining with 91% battery.

Same way to if you need to lock Fn key.
How to go to Bios? Thanks!
Feb 4, 2017
220 posts
263 upvotes
goodfortune wrote:
Sep 15th, 2019 8:01 pm
Try pressing F12 when you turn the computer on as soon as your screen lights up.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
31108 posts
2695 upvotes
Winnipeg
so this is in store only since it is oos online?
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2009
2163 posts
1005 upvotes
Winnipeg
Zoughi1 wrote:
Sep 15th, 2019 8:04 pm
Try pressing F12 when you turn the computer on as soon as your screen lights up.
It's an HP so I would not be surprised if they used their universal "hit ESC" to access all the goodies on boot.
Feb 4, 2017
220 posts
263 upvotes
divx wrote:
Sep 15th, 2019 8:10 pm
so this is in store only since it is oos online?
Yes. I picked up mine from store today.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2010
3092 posts
2493 upvotes
Markham
Zoughi1 wrote:
Did you install ubuntu side by side with windows? Also how much space did you allocate for ubuntu? Thanks.
I swiped the eMMC drive and installed Xubuntu 18.04.3 LTS (which is based on Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS but with the Xfce desktop environment).

Now I have a second thought. I have reinstalled Windows 10 Home to the whole eMMC disk. The eMMC disk has about 19GB occupied by Windows 10. I will next install a light weight Linux distro, e.g. Bodhi Linux, which is based on Ubuntu, but which can work comfortably with 15GB disk space (this is already 3 x the minimum disk space required by such a Linux distro). This would let Windows 10 has the rest which is about 45GB, which is more than 2 x of the base Winbdows 10 of 19GB. I think this setup will work fine and I will have the best of both worlds.

I will find a low profile micro SD adapter fitted with a micro SD card as an external drive permantly plugged in to the SD card slot. I can transfer documents to this microSD while running one OS. Then boot up the second OS and transfer documents back to it for use. Such a method avoids any cloud based transfer of documents between the two OS's.
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2008
1822 posts
716 upvotes
White Rock
goodfortune wrote:
Find the answer:
Navigate to settings. You can get there by clicking the gear icon on the Start menu.
Select Update & security.
Select Recovery from the left menu.
Click Restart Now under Advanced startup. ...
Click Troubleshoot.
Click Advanced options.
Select UEFI Firmware Settings. ...
Click Restart.
Will see the "Startup Menu"
F10 BIOS Setup
Enable "Battery Remaining Time"
Feb 4, 2017
220 posts
263 upvotes
drdtyc wrote:
Sep 15th, 2019 8:44 pm
I swiped the eMMC drive and installed Xubuntu 18.04.3 LTS (which is based on Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS but with the Xfce desktop environment).

Now I have a second thought. I have reinstalled Windows 10 Home to the whole eMMC disk. The eMMC disk has about 19GB occupied by Windows 10. I will next install a light weight Linux distro, e.g. Bodhi Linux, which is based on Ubuntu, but which can work comfortably with 15GB disk space (this is already 3 x the minimum disk space required by such a Linux distro). This would let Windows 10 has the rest which is about 45GB, which is more than 2 x of the base Winbdows 10 of 19GB. I think this setup will work fine and I will have the best of both worlds.

I will find a low profile micro SD adapter fitted with a micro SD card as an external drive permantly plugged in to the SD card slot. I can transfer documents to this microSD while running one OS. Then boot up the second OS and transfer documents back to it for use. Such a method avoids any cloud based transfer of documents between the two OS's.
Thanks for the detailed explanation! If I swipe the eMMC and install ubuntu, would I be able to return to the original Windows 10 S?
Deal Addict
May 2, 2010
3092 posts
2493 upvotes
Markham
Zoughi1 wrote:
Sep 15th, 2019 8:53 pm
Thanks for the detailed explanation! If I swipe the eMMC and install ubuntu, would I be able to return to the original Windows 10 S?
You need to use the Windows 10 in S mode to download Windows 10 media creation tool. Run the tool to create a boot up disk for installing Windows 10 using a USB thumb drive (min 8GB capacity). Once you have this USB thumb drive properly created, do check if it can boot up your laptop or not. If ok, you can then abort and unplug the USB thumb drive.

Now you can swipe the eMMC drive to install Ubuntu or whatever Linux distro you prefer, knowing that you can always go back to Windows 10 with that USB thumb drive.

As of any Linux distro, try it out by creating its Linux Live USB thumb drive. Boot up Linux using that thumb drive. Linux will run from the 4GB ram of the laptop only and nothing on the eMMC drive is touched or altered. This is to make sure that Linux distro is compatible with all the hardware (display, sound, wifi, keyboard, touch pad, blue tooth etc) of the HP Stream 14, before you swipe the eMMC drive and install the distro on it.
Last edited by drdtyc on Sep 15th, 2019 11:39 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2010
3092 posts
2493 upvotes
Markham
goodfortune wrote:
Sep 15th, 2019 8:52 pm
Find the answer:
Navigate to settings. You can get there by clicking the gear icon on the Start menu.
Select Update & security.
Select Recovery from the left menu.
Click Restart Now under Advanced startup. ...
Click Troubleshoot.
Click Advanced options.
Select UEFI Firmware Settings. ...
Click Restart.
Will see the "Startup Menu"
F10 BIOS Setup
Enable "Battery Remaining Time"
Simple way to do it is to restart the laptop and quickly press esc key as soon as the HP logo appears.
Then press F10 to call up the BIOS screen.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2004
2876 posts
523 upvotes
Toronto
Alkhemist wrote:
Sep 15th, 2019 6:38 pm

And anyone know if you can install CentOS.

Learning a lot of sys ops stuff for Redhat, instead of using an instance or virtualizing, would be nice to have a full time laptop.

Fastest way to learn imo.
It has been said that the WiFi card was not initially supported by Ubuntu 18.04.
So it might not be supported by CentOS 7. But probably it is.
If not, it will surely be supported by CentOS 8, coming out in a small number of months.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2011
1287 posts
769 upvotes
Vancouver
RFD threads should have sticky sub-thread topics that stick to the first page.

Sub-threads for this deal could be...

PURCHASING
BETTER OPTIONS (for deal haters)
INSTALLING OTHER O/S
UPGRADING HARDWARE
SETTING UP

Otherwise people have to go through 30-40 pages to find comments related to their interest. Then the same questions won't get repeated too.
Last edited by RxMills on Sep 15th, 2019 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 12, 2017
7859 posts
1823 upvotes
Scarberia
drdtyc wrote:
Sep 15th, 2019 9:08 pm
Simple way to do it is to restart the laptop and quickly press esc key as soon as the HP logo appears.
Then press F10 to call up the BIOS screen.
battery time enable is in system configuaration tab...mine says 4hr 40mins left at 80% only! i have 75% max power slider
i turned on virtualization and installed bluestacks4 but its slowAF lol..lag, cpu too weak to run this app
*SIG: OptiPlex™ 790 i5-2400 @3.1ghz 12gb DDR3 ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit @$39.99 no 60FPS 4k youtube :( using D-Link DIR-890L AC3200
Jul 21, 2009
361 posts
104 upvotes
London
I see this is no longer available/not on sale. If anyone in London wants one (pm me) I will sell it for the sale price.
Feb 4, 2017
220 posts
263 upvotes
reflame wrote:
Sep 16th, 2019 8:14 am
I see this is no longer available/not on sale. If anyone in London wants one (pm me) I will sell it for the sale price.
Is it still sealed in the box?