• Sep 17th, 2019 2:33 am
Deal Addict
May 2, 2010
3006 posts
2411 upvotes
Markham
drdtyc wrote:
Sep 15th, 2019 8:44 pm
I swiped the eMMC drive and installed Xubuntu 18.04.3 LTS (which is based on Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS but with the Xfce desktop environment).

Now I have a second thought. I have reinstalled Windows 10 Home to the whole eMMC disk. The eMMC disk has about 19GB occupied by Windows 10. I will next install a light weight Linux distro, e.g. Bodhi Linux, which is based on Ubuntu, but which can work comfortably with 15GB disk space (this is already 3 x the minimum disk space required by such a Linux distro). This would let Windows 10 has the rest which is about 45GB, which is more than 2 x of the base Winbdows 10 of 19GB. I think this setup will work fine and I will have the best of both worlds.

I will find a low profile micro SD adapter fitted with a micro SD card as an external drive permantly plugged in to the SD card slot. I can transfer documents to this microSD while running one OS. Then boot up the second OS and transfer documents back to it for use. Such a method avoids any cloud based transfer of documents between the two OS's.
My final set up is Windows 10 (about 42GB) and Xubuntu 18.04.3 LTS (about 20GB). Everything runs fine so far.
Still having this problem of the laptop booting up automatically to Windows 10.
I have to press esc key during boot up and then press F9 key to manually select OS Boot Manager (UEFI) - Ubuntu which is the second entry in the selection menu. Incidentally OS Boot Manager (UEFI) - Windows is the first entry in that same selection menu. I cannot find a way to swap these two entries and save the revised sequence permanently.

Not a big deal. But I would love to hear anyone who has a dual OS set up like me and who could make this laptop to boot automatically to Ubuntu. Please do share if you can. Thanks!
Jul 30, 2010
434 posts
160 upvotes
Toronto
RxMills wrote:
Sep 14th, 2019 12:50 pm
Yes, what you said.

I have windows flying on tablets and sticks with 1GB RAM and taking up 8-12GB disk space. Tweaks required and occasional cleaning of course. Disabling and uninstalling useless stuff too.

Do you have a guide for this that you follow or can point to some link? I am working with an old hp mini 110 which could use an upgrade as it currently has windows 7 starter with 1 gig of ram.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2010
3006 posts
2411 upvotes
Markham
hyperzore wrote:
Sep 16th, 2019 8:20 pm
Do you have a guide for this that you follow or can point to some link? I am working with an old hp mini 110 which could use an upgrade as it currently has windows 7 starter with 1 gig of ram.
If you are trying to speed up Windows 7 starter on your old gear, why not trying a light weight and efficient Linux distro which usually runs very smoothly on old gears. Google Lubuntu or Puppy Linux or to find out more. These two Linux distros need very little ram and computing power.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2011
1266 posts
754 upvotes
Vancouver
I once had a step by step. I'll try to locate it I've now done it so many times.

Generally speaking, it's removing everything (or disabling things) that shouldn't be running on minimal resourced systems...

- big hibernate files
- old windows installs
- apps that are never used
- disable things in msconfig for startup (especially bloatware)
- all the advanced visual features (shadowing, etc.)

On one system, I even shut down the a/v, fine if you're going to highly reputable sites and not using email on it
- find substitutes for things like Adobe reader

etc.

The challenge is keeping those 1gb systems lean as sys updates and app updates sometimes turn things back on.

Others have mentioned the steps in the link from post #54 I think but that's only part of the solution. Searching "make windows X run faster on tablets" will give you some good tips.
hyperzore wrote:
Sep 16th, 2019 8:20 pm

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)