Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Microsoft Store

HP Stream 7 Tablet $99 + $25 Windows Store GC (CANADA!) + Case

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 30th, 2015 2:13 am
Dec 4, 2006
354 posts
364 upvotes
St Catharines

[Microsoft Store] HP Stream 7 Tablet $99 + $25 Windows Store GC (CANADA!) + Case

We are getting the gift card in Canada now!

I bought one of these for my GF at christmas. Runs great. The only downside is the battery life, but what an amazing deal. Comes with one year of Office 365 ($69 val)

Edit: Now includes a case + screen protector!
1209 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2014
5219 posts
1679 upvotes
Toronto
spiderman79 wrote: We are getting the gift card in Canada now!

I bought one of these for my GF at christmas. Runs great. The only downside is the battery life, but what an amazing deals. Comes with one year of Office 365 ($69 val)
how is battery life, just want a e-book / pdf reader with onedrive / onenote sync
Jan 9, 2013
188 posts
85 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Bit of repost. There is a thread on the first page of Hot Deals with this.
Dec 4, 2006
354 posts
364 upvotes
St Catharines
Armani18J wrote: Bit of repost. There is a thread on the first page of Hot Deals with this.
Tough to tell if deals are repost when the titles are vague. Just a minor critique, but I hate it when a deal doesn't have the important information in the thread title. Really don't understand what the payoff is when I need to click into the thread to figure out the price of a deal.
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2012
1232 posts
732 upvotes
Victoria
How are the apps on the windows platform these days? I am skeptical to buy any tablet other than android or ios due to limited developer support.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58618 posts
24555 upvotes
spiderman79 wrote: We are getting the gift card in Canada now!

I bought one of these for my GF at christmas. Runs great. The only downside is the battery life, but what an amazing deals. Comes with one year of Office 365 ($69 val)
Even better. Down in the US, this 7" Stream did not include the $25 credit, just the more expensive Stream laptops.
Dec 4, 2006
354 posts
364 upvotes
St Catharines
Financials wrote: how is battery life, just want a e-book / pdf reader with onedrive / onenote sync
For reading and stuff it should get you 5 hours maybe? I know that when she is playing ilomilo and Rayman it burns through the battery in like 3 hours or less.
Jan 9, 2013
188 posts
85 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Yea the US one comes with the credit too. But yeah, if I remember when the other thread was posted it didn't come with the gift card. Only the US Site at first. Then the Canadian site started putting it with the $25 gift card.
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2014
2470 posts
1162 upvotes
Cellphone Tower
alanbrenton wrote: Even better. Down in the US, this 7" Stream did not include the $25 credit, just the more expensive Stream laptops.
In us this was ~$50 last week with a coupon
Place Your Ad Here
Deal Guru
Mar 28, 2006
12211 posts
2948 upvotes
That's pretty weak... how is the browsing speed? I am concerned by the 1GB RAM.

Can I use the gift card for MS Store purchase, or is this an apps credit? Does the GC have expiry date? thanks
spiderman79 wrote: For reading and stuff it should get you 5 hours maybe? I know that when she is playing ilomilo and Rayman it burns through the battery in like 3 hours or less.
Feb 9, 2015
255 posts
69 upvotes
St Catharines, ON
I wonder if there is any chance of me getting the gift card now? I ordered the tablet 3 days ago when I saw the initial deal. It's still being shipped to me.
Oct 19, 2012
172 posts
86 upvotes
Montr
The 1GB ram is obviously a concern, I would pay a bit more for a 2gb if they had it for sure. If it was Android I'd probably pass but a win8 tablet I think is a pretty neat device to have
Nov 24, 2014
399 posts
467 upvotes
Windsor, ON
mwahahaa wrote: How are the apps on the windows platform these days? I am skeptical to buy any tablet other than android or ios due to limited developer support.
Terrible. The windows mobile platform is being dumped by everybody and they've lost a ton of marketshare - they currenly sit at 2.8 percent of the mobile market, with Android and iOS leagues ahead.
http://www.infoworld.com/article/285503 ... -door.html

Major companies are dropping their Windows app because there's nobody out there with a Windows Phone anymore:
http://www.zdnet.com/article/chase-and- ... andonment/

Also, from personal experience: I developed an app a little while back across all 3 platforms - the client insisted they wanted a Windows Mobile app despite my suggestion that they should only develop for iOS and Android. But if they want to throw their money away, that's their problem, not mine. They couldn't say I didn't warn them when they started looking at the download figures.

iOS and Android accounted for literally more than 99% of the downloads. Total downloads across all platforms (last time I provided a report for the client, which was 2 weeks ago), was at about 125,000 total downloads, with Windows Mobile accounting for 370 of those downloads. Needless to say, they've decided that it's in their financial interest to drop support for the Windows app.

TL;DR Windows Mobile is a dying (perhaps already dead) platform - they might be able to resurrect it with Windows 10, but I wouldn't bet even a dollar on that happening.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
9113 posts
2403 upvotes
taranducal wrote: TL;DR Windows is a dying platform - they might be able to resurrect it with Windows 10, but I wouldn't bet even a dollar on that happening.
LOL, no it's not. The Windows Marketplace sucks but Windows will die when PC's go extinct.

Unless you are talking about Windows RT which is dead a concept anyway and this tablet runs full Win 8.1 which is actually pretty good on a touchscreen device. Plus with all the complaints about Win 8.1, Win 7 is still excellent that most people still prefer to run. 10 is getting great press and it's being developed closely in conjunction with feedback from beta users.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Oct 14, 2007
140 posts
5 upvotes
York
taranducal wrote: Terrible. The windows mobile platform is being dumped by everybody and they've lost a ton of marketshare - they currenly sit at 2.8 percent of the mobile market, with Android and iOS leagues ahead.
http://www.infoworld.com/article/285503 ... -door.html

Major companies are dropping their Windows app because there's nobody out there with a Windows Phone anymore:
http://www.zdnet.com/article/chase-and- ... andonment/

Also, from personal experience: I developed an app a little while back across all 3 platforms - the client insisted they wanted a Windows Mobile app despite my suggestion that they should only develop for iOS and Android. But if they want to throw their money away, that's their problem, not mine. They couldn't say I didn't warn them when they started looking at the download figures.

iOS and Android accounted for literally more than 99% of the downloads. Total downloads across all platforms (last time I provided a report for the client, which was 2 weeks ago), was at about 125,000 total downloads, with Windows Mobile accounting for 370 of those downloads. Needless to say, they've decided that it's in their financial interest to drop support for the Windows app.

TL;DR Windows Mobile is a dying (perhaps already dead) platform - they might be able to resurrect it with Windows 10, but I wouldn't bet even a dollar on that happening.
This is a windows 8.1 tablet so yeah, it supports all windows applications. This isn't limited to metro apps.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58618 posts
24555 upvotes
mwahahaa wrote: How are the apps on the windows platform these days? I am skeptical to buy any tablet other than android or ios due to limited developer support.
The only app I bought when I had a Surface Pro was Drawboard PDF when the price went down to $4.

If you want the use of a digitizer pen (definitely not from this Stream tablet) for note-taking an annotation, I believe a Windows tablet is still your best bet with Microsoft One Note.

The reason why Windows metro apps are not gaining ground against iOS and Android is that there are many desktop application alternatives that are freeware but more robust. Just count how many times these iOS and Android (incl Windows) apps have to be updated by the devs.
Dec 4, 2006
354 posts
364 upvotes
St Catharines
The Apps support may not be there, but remember that this is a Windows 8.1 device, so it works just like a PC/Laptop if you need it to.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2014
5219 posts
1679 upvotes
Toronto
Winkle wrote: LOL, no it's not. The Windows Marketplace sucks but Windows will die when PC's go extinct.

Unless you are talking about Windows RT which is dead a concept anyway and this tablet runs full Win 8.1 which is actually pretty good on a touchscreen device. Plus with all the complaints about Win 8.1, Win 7 is still excellent that most people still prefer to run. 10 is getting great press and it's being developed closely in conjunction with feedback from beta users.
Desktop operating system browsing statistics
Windows 7

55.92%
Windows XP

18.93%
Windows 8/8.1

15.22%
OS X

7.11%
Windows Vista

2.44%
Linux

1.34%
Other

0.51%

Windows is dead bro. trust me.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2012
5865 posts
3138 upvotes
Winnipeg
82 wrote: That's pretty weak... how is the browsing speed? I am concerned by the 1GB RAM.

Can I use the gift card for MS Store purchase, or is this an apps credit? Does the GC have expiry date? thanks
it looks like window store credit (not MS store).
So not much use for me...