Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Microsoft Store

Lenovo Ideapad Flex 5 14 $599.99 Boxing Week Sale

Nov 28, 2016
770 posts
422 upvotes
Realize my screen is actually yellow after I plugged in my external monitor. Still figuring out how to correctly calibrate it. Can’t seem to make the red bright.
Anyone has calibrated their screen? What did you do?
Lurking on RFD for years. Finally decided to make an account...😂
Mar 20, 2006
503 posts
106 upvotes
Everyone loves the Good News/Bad News game. Let's play!

Good news (Spectre Variant 2 remediation):
https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/ve/th/prod ... s/DS500619

Bad news ("more frequent reboots"):
https://newsroom.intel.com/news/firmwar ... er-systems

Given that there are no active exploits for Spectre, there's no point in upgrading to 4QCN42W. Instead, wait for Intel to get their act together and push out stable microcode.
Feb 13, 2017
129 posts
27 upvotes
dealyou wrote: Realize my screen is actually yellow after I plugged in my external monitor. Still figuring out how to correctly calibrate it. Can’t seem to make the red bright.
Anyone has calibrated their screen? What did you do?
I went into the display adapter settings and you have color calibration option. I lowered the red and green approx 1/3 of the way and its less yellow.

The screen is dimmer than my Dell for same percentages but now after calibration its almost the same color, no more yellow
Nov 28, 2016
770 posts
422 upvotes
I did that, but it seems it’s a bit blueish grey sometimes. Also the red color is off, a bit orange actually.

I also tuned color settings in intel settings, brightness to 10, saturation to 10. Improved a little but still not as close as my MacBook or iPhone screen.

I am guessing what you pay is what you get, it’s a budget laptop with a lower end screen.

Also wifi is dropping out from time to time, already on the lastest driver
Feb 13, 2017
129 posts
27 upvotes
I put brightness 15, hue 5, saturation 0
Just adjust the green and red carefully, sure if i compare both images the red of the forum is not the same but its not a big difference.
Oct 28, 2004
143 posts
165 upvotes
Toronto
The unit i received from my boxing day order had the yellow tint and some crazy screen flicker. I requested for an exchange and the new unit i got has no problem so far. Out of box it does not have the yellow tint and the screen is a tad brighter. I noticed the following difference between the two devices.

first unit
display: AU Optronics auo423d
ram: ramaxel technology 8gb ddr4-2666
ssd: 128gb toshiba
manufacture date: october 2017

replacement unit
display: BOE CQ
ram: 8gb samsung ddr4-2400
ssd: 128gb samsung
Manufacture date: January 2018
Jan 10, 2006
878 posts
882 upvotes
DesiCanuck wrote: I have 3 units bud. Not all of them could be defective. All of them have their bios updated and and have the latest updates.
Aside from the BIOS update and enabling quiet mode in BIOS, uninstall Lenovo App Explorer. That has a service that was taking up 25% cpu at idle which made the laptop noisy. With that crap uninstalled, it's totally inaudible at idle and light browsing.

The fan profile is aggressive though and ramps up quickly with any load. The temperature is around 40C at idle. I checked out NBFC but there isn't currently any config file for this model. I think a less aggressive fan profile would improve user experience, especially for those not looking to stress the CPU much.

Overall, I'm very impressed with this i5 model.
Nov 28, 2016
770 posts
422 upvotes
I am not enjoying it when my CPU is mad throttling with only less than 20 mins of use of photo editing with Lightroom..
Solution anyone? Undervolt will help? It’s soooo slow.. even Fan kept turning on and off.. 2 out of 4 core is over 90 degree
Dec 27, 2017
5 posts
3 upvotes
cats_on_burners wrote: Is this laptop capable of displaying 4k at 60hz via the HDMI port?
Only 30hz at 4k with mine. i5 with Intel graphics
Dec 29, 2017
498 posts
579 upvotes
So here is the deal guys, I need to add additional ram for my i7 model. Currently it's 8 gb, need another 8 gb, to get a total of 16gb. Anyone can suggest a good ram that will fit? Maybe anyone has tried upgrading ram on i7 , some instruction would be helpful?
Oct 28, 2004
143 posts
165 upvotes
Toronto
badboyxjc wrote: The unit i received from my boxing day order had the yellow tint and some crazy screen flicker. I requested for an exchange and the new unit i got has no problem so far. Out of box it does not have the yellow tint and the screen is a tad brighter. I noticed the following difference between the two devices.

first unit
display: AU Optronics auo423d
ram: ramaxel technology 8gb ddr4-2666
ssd: 128gb toshiba
manufacture date: october 2017

replacement unit
display: BOE CQ
ram: 8gb samsung ddr4-2400
ssd: 128gb samsung
Manufacture date: January 2018
Just to add to this, after a couple weeks of usage on the replacement model the fan barely ever comes on unlike the first one i got the fan came on even with light web browsing.
Dec 30, 2008
841 posts
545 upvotes
I redid the thermal paste.
I improved the performance and lowered the base temperature by a few degrees.
It took me less than 20 minutes.
Im pretty happy about this.
Jan 8, 2012
49 posts
24 upvotes
how to boot this laptop from usb? I have a bootable windows 10 pro usb, also the bios has the usb enabled already, but it just goes to internal ssd directly. Maybe I am doing it wrong? any thoughts/suggestions? thanks!

edit: it seems that it is a pending issue: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-Ide ... -p/3797061
any solution yet?
Mar 20, 2006
503 posts
106 upvotes
That happens even with the current firmware? There have been numerous updates to it since that thread (I haven't tested booting USB with this laptop, however).

Normally, tricks like switching the BIOS from EFI to Legacy (Lenovo may or may not even support that choice) are not needed. Secure boot is another story.

Are you using Rufus to create the right kind of W10 USB? It's tricky. You need to make the EFI choice, but I forget whether it's supposed to be FAT32 or NTFS. If not done perfectly, a modern system will never see it. It appears if you do go the NTFS route, secure boot does need to be off:
https://github.com/pbatard/uefi-ntfs
Mar 4, 2008
796 posts
334 upvotes
BC
Looking at increasing the storage space on this laptop. Should I buy an additional SSD or a hard drive? Basically to use as storage for pictures & videos...
Nov 28, 2016
770 posts
422 upvotes
No, I just added a firecuda 2TB, you don’t need SSD for a storage drive.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2002
3771 posts
475 upvotes
Guys,

Is there any current deal for a laptop in this price range? I need one for non gaming but I don’t want it to be a POS, if that’s possible?