Expired Hot Deals

[Microsoft Store] Lenovo Ideapad Flex 5 - $649.00

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 26th, 2018 12:33 pm
Feb 26, 2017
53 posts
20 upvotes
So, turns out the expected delivery date is accurate. It just got marked as being on truck for delivery.
Apr 11, 2010
21 posts
2 upvotes
Ontario
Yes the tracking seems to be correct. I finally got mine like an hour ago just like the tracking showed.
Mar 26, 2012
668 posts
269 upvotes
Edmonton
So it turns out using ThrottleStop to run at Windows startup, and a slight undervolt and enabling built in Intel Speed Shift nets a 40% improvement in performance when only the CPU is stressed.

https://imgur.com/a/hZAAf
AMD Ryzen 7 1700/MSI GTX 1070Ti Titanium/16GB 3200Mhz/ASRock AB350M Pro 4
Aug 23, 2005
330 posts
114 upvotes
Hamilton
Luyuan20 wrote:
Dec 15th, 2017 2:29 pm
So it turns out using ThrottleStop to run at Windows startup, and a slight undervolt and enabling built in Intel Speed Shift nets a 40% improvement in performance when only the CPU is stressed.

https://imgur.com/a/hZAAf
You can change the Speed Shift value if you want the CPU clocks to be pinned at max during most types of load by setting it to 0. I would only use that in your AC profile though when the laptop is plugged in so it doesn't chew through the battery.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2006
9626 posts
1382 upvotes
Those with orange tint issue, is your panel "M140NWF5 R3"? Anyone contact Lenovo about this?
Mar 26, 2012
668 posts
269 upvotes
Edmonton
A-Town wrote:
Dec 15th, 2017 5:12 pm
You can change the Speed Shift value if you want the CPU clocks to be pinned at max during most types of load by setting it to 0. I would only use that in your AC profile though when the laptop is plugged in so it doesn't chew through the battery.
Does that pin the CPU at 25W though? I would imagine that the motherboard circuitry is only designed for a 15W constant load.
Aug 23, 2005
330 posts
114 upvotes
Hamilton
Luyuan20 wrote:
Dec 15th, 2017 5:20 pm
Does that pin the CPU at 25W though? I would imagine that the motherboard circuitry is only designed for a 15W constant load.
I should clarify "max"; as I meant in the context of most normal load situations, this would mean the base clock frequency. Going over the 15W TDP limit would mean the CPU is in Turbo Boost which is reserved for the most demanding loads in short bursts and is governed by a time limit as well as the thermal headroom available.

In other words, setting the Speed Shift value at 0 just means that it's going to be operating at it's base clock frequency and won't down clock in low load situations like idle. This will make normal use feel more "snappy" as there's no delay in waiting for the CPU to ramp up it's clock speed when it detects a higher performance state.
Mar 26, 2012
668 posts
269 upvotes
Edmonton
A-Town wrote:
Dec 15th, 2017 6:15 pm
I should clarify "max"; as I meant in the context of most normal load situations, this would mean the base clock frequency. Going over the 15W TDP limit would mean the CPU is in Turbo Boost which is reserved for the most demanding loads in short bursts and is governed by a time limit as well as the thermal headroom available.

In other words, setting the Speed Shift value at 0 just means that it's going to be operating at it's base clock frequency and won't down clock in low load situations like idle. This will make normal use feel more "snappy" as there's no delay in waiting for the CPU to ramp up it's clock speed when it detects a higher performance state.
Thanks for the clarification. I'm just going to let the CPU run as low as it can during idle to improve battery life and let it use the full 15W during sustained load and leave the 25W for up to 28s as default. Speedshift is supposed to address the CPU ramp up very fast so it should feel very snappy as is.
Apr 12, 2013
740 posts
98 upvotes
Markham
rgilld wrote:
Dec 14th, 2017 8:48 am
Same with mine. All Fedex shows is that the label has been created. Was supposed to be delivered on the 12th.
my label was created on sunday with the wednesday delivery but it was picked up on wednesday from BC and arrived today in the GTA.

BTW anyone interested in buying another one? my sister said it looks ugly from the pictures ahahaha. I believe the return date is jan 31st yeah?
Feb 26, 2017
53 posts
20 upvotes
Did you guys using ThrottleStop mess with the Speed Shift EPP value? The guide says to use 64 for the performance profile, however I can't seem to find how to modify this setting. It's on 128 on all my profiles.

Edit: Ok, clicking on it allows you to change it even though it doesn't show a box or anything like you'd normally expect when you can change the value.
Last edited by Senescence on Dec 15th, 2017 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aug 23, 2005
330 posts
114 upvotes
Hamilton
Senescence wrote:
Dec 15th, 2017 7:11 pm
Did you guys using ThrottleStop mess with the Speed Shift EPP value? The guide says to use 64 for the performance profile, however I can't seem to find how to modify this setting. It's on 128 on all my profiles.
Click on the "128" and you can edit it. Also make sure to click on the TPL button and check off boxes for Enable Speed Shift and Enable Speed Shift when ThrottleStop starts
Feb 26, 2017
53 posts
20 upvotes
Everest tells me I also have the M140NWF5 R3.

I also did a benchmark after I setup Task Scheduler to automatically run ThrottleStop in the background when the computer starts. All seems to work well: https://valid.x86.fr/ghcmir

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)