Expired Hot Deals

[Microsoft Store] Lenovo Ideapad Flex 5 - $649.00

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 26th, 2018 12:33 pm
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2006
9795 posts
1448 upvotes
Try dail -10 to Red Brightness from Intel UHD Graphic Control panel, that gives me acceptable neutral white. I am used to Lenovo's warmer color, people used to HP can try more aggressive -15.

Maybe someone with Spyder and M140NWF5 R3 can share a calibrated profile?
Senescence wrote:
Dec 15th, 2017 8:04 pm
Everest tells me I also have the M140NWF5 R3.

I also did a benchmark after I setup Task Scheduler to automatically run ThrottleStop in the background when the computer starts. All seems to work well: https://valid.x86.fr/ghcmir
Feb 26, 2017
86 posts
35 upvotes
I'm having some trouble with the automatic orientation change. It stopped functioning at some point, I don't know when. I installed most of the drivers from Lenovo's site, made sure they were the ones for the laptop. That and ThrottleStop. Now Tablet Mode is never detected automatically, it doesn't switch or ask me no matter which form I'm trying to use. It's like there's no sensors anymore. I googled around and tried to fix "YMC" service, no luck. My YMC service is set to automatic but not started. If I try to start it, it fails. Is it supposed to be started?
Apr 11, 2010
33 posts
8 upvotes
Ontario
My screen seems to be a bit yellowish. I can easily notice it even comparing it to my 720p Asus 5 year old laptop. So, I was thinking of returning the laptop.

However, after playing around with color management/calibration a little bit (ie by reducing the red and green colour), I think it's okay now.
Apr 11, 2010
33 posts
8 upvotes
Ontario
Senescence wrote:
Dec 15th, 2017 8:04 pm
Everest tells me I also have the M140NWF5 R3.

I also did a benchmark after I setup Task Scheduler to automatically run ThrottleStop in the background when the computer starts. All seems to work well: https://valid.x86.fr/ghcmir
That looks good. So, what's your setting? Is it just like mentioned above : CPU Core and CPU cache -0.81mV and then Intel GPU -49.8mV?
Feb 26, 2017
86 posts
35 upvotes
emailku417 wrote:
Dec 16th, 2017 9:23 am
That looks good. So, what's your setting? Is it just like mentioned above : CPU Core and CPU cache -0.81mV and then Intel GPU -49.8mV?
Yup, and I just followed the how to guide and did my profiles that way with 64 for SpeedStep.

----

The rotation lock problem is fixed. I went through the 10 or so possible solutions and none of them worked. I ended up doing a full PC reset since I didn't have much installed in the first place and there was no restore point made yet. I reinstalled basic programs I always install, gave it a reboot, and sure enough, rotation lock disappeared from the Action Center. It wasn't driver related, it was caused by Spybot Anti-Beacon. Turns out I never paid attention to the fact that it "immunizes" the sensors of a computer. Leaving that unchecked and immunizing the rest solved the issue.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
6230 posts
786 upvotes
Toronto
This machine is very fast, it feels like my i5-6500 desktop for email, surfing, videos. A pretty banging deal for $649.
I workout to get big so I can pickup bricks and ****.
Feb 26, 2017
86 posts
35 upvotes
Yep, I just did another bench and reached 2011, that's about on par with an i7 4770k. https://valid.x86.fr/z3cyfd

Pretty impressive for the price. It's been rock solid so far. I might have been getting some wifi dropouts like someone else in this thread though, I'm not sure yet. Skype was stuck on "sending..." on some of my messages. A small downside imo is the SD card slot. It doesn't let the card penetrate deep enough. It makes me feel uncomfortable to leave it in there (as I had planned to).
Dec 7, 2017
10 posts
2 upvotes
Senescence wrote:
Dec 16th, 2017 10:24 pm
Yep, I just did another bench and reached 2011, that's about on par with an i7 4770k. https://valid.x86.fr/z3cyfd

Pretty impressive for the price. It's been rock solid so far. I might have been getting some wifi dropouts like someone else in this thread though, I'm not sure yet. Skype was stuck on "sending..." on some of my messages. A small downside imo is the SD card slot. It doesn't let the card penetrate deep enough. It makes me feel uncomfortable to leave it in there (as I had planned to).
Feb 26, 2017
86 posts
35 upvotes
Have you guys played around with LatencyMonitor? I'm getting pretty big spikes from HDAudBus.sys, tcpip.sys and ndis.sys.
Mar 26, 2012
735 posts
334 upvotes
emailku417 wrote:
Dec 16th, 2017 9:23 am
Best I could do was -90.8mV on CPU core/cache, and -70.3mV on GPU before crashing. Note your CPU could be better/worse than mine so it could crash or require less voltage (larger negative offset)

Doesn't seem to like Steam games very much with its single channel memory and 15W TDP though. GTA V, Cities Skylines, Assassin's Creed Unity, Witcher 3 are unplayble/not enjoyable with frequent stuttering. This is with all the mods in throttlestop. There is no way to add another 8GB ram stick as there's just a single slot as well. IMO dual-channel boosts gaming perf by 30% in these notebooks. (Dell i5-7200U w/ 16GB dual channel is faster than this gaming by almost 30%) Task manager says 1/2 slots filled but opening the laptop up I couldn't find another memory slot.

Cities Skylines in particular sits at 100% GPU usage, and 40% CPU @ 1.6Ghz and runs at ~20fps on 900p minimum.
Intel Core i7-950 @ 4Ghz/AMD RX570 STRIX OC 4GB/10GB 1066Mhz DDR3/Asus P6T Deluxe
Koodo Mobile $48 10GB EPP Plan
Nov 15, 2014
6 posts
3 upvotes
Snow Road Station, O…
Senescence wrote:
Dec 16th, 2017 10:24 pm

I had some Wi-Fi dropouts on mine and high Wi-Fi latency, I changed the Wireless Adapter Power Saver setting to Maximum Performance, its under the advanced power settings on the power plans.
Trying all other settings resulted in same issue, using 5GHz AC on a UBNT Unifi AC Lite Access Point.
Obviously battery life will be less, but it shouldn't drop out like that.
Mar 20, 2006
394 posts
68 upvotes
A couple points summarizing "best practices" for this laptop from over at Slickdeals:

-For those having screen brightness issues, have you right clicked on the desktop and selected Intel Graphics Settings? Then choose Display, Color Settings and you can increase the brightness from there. My brightness slider was only about 1/3 to max and my contrast slider wasn't even 1/4 of the way.

-I finally decided to open up my box today with a bit of consternation due to the screen brightness/yellow issue that can be found in online reviews and on this forum. Of course out of the box my screen was dark with the yellow tint. However after doing the following:

1) update the bios and drivers
2) adjust power management setting to high performance (which should turn off adaptive display)
3) going through the Intel graphics display "color calibration" process

I must say that I am really happy now that the screen is no longer dim and no longer tinted. As of now I will be keeping this laptop.
Feb 26, 2017
86 posts
35 upvotes
Something is definitely wrong with the Wi-fi card or its drivers. This is what it looks like when I download a torrent. Power settings are set to max performance while plugged in and I am plugged in. Latest drivers. BIOS and everything up to date as well. I am a couple meters next to my router.

https://imgur.com/UyKXhO8

Edit: After doing some troubleshooting with Command Prompt and uninstalling drivers\reinstalling, I've got a pretty stable download rate. Looks like the adapter maxes out at around 60 mbps though, which is half the speed of my internet plan. Is that typical for laptops?
Aug 23, 2005
349 posts
121 upvotes
Hamilton
I wonder if there's a bit of a panel lottery going on in terms of the yellow tint. It looks like there is at least two different LCD panels so far, an AU Optronics panel (AUO B140HAN04.2) and one from InfoVision Optoelectronics Kunshan (IVO M140NWF5 R3).

My unit is outfitted with the AUO screen and at max brightness, the whites looks good to me. A review I read of the Yogo 520 (Flex 5 14 inch outside USA) outfitted with the same AUO panel measured 6720K for colour temperature at max brightness, pretty close to the optimal 6500K and perhaps a bit on the cool/blue side if anything.
Apr 11, 2010
33 posts
8 upvotes
Ontario
My screen is okay after calibration. It can be a bit blueish if I want to