Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Microsoft Store

TP-Link Kasa Smart Wi-Fi Plug Mini $19.99 with free shipping

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 24th, 2018 4:25 pm
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2009
1568 posts
613 upvotes
Brampton
er34er34 wrote: Anyone tried using these outdoors for Christmas lights? Not exposed to elements of course, but just the cold temperature.

In the specs, it shows operating temperature 0-40C.
Been using it outside for 2 years. Even right now it turns on and off the outdoor lights.
Deal Addict
Mar 1, 2006
1581 posts
858 upvotes
Edmonton
I have a bunch, these are my preferred smart switch at the moment.

Christmas trees, mini heaters, lamps, water recirculating pump, you name it.

I will say that for lamps, I prefer my Lutron Casetas as they also dim and come with the remote. More expensive ($60 vs $25) but well worth it to dim.
Jan 12, 2008
314 posts
203 upvotes
toronto
I would not touch these. I bought 2 last year and have been through 4 different ones replaced by TP-Link. They always lose connectivity even when they are in the same room as the wifi. The strange thing is that the TP-link HS200 smart switch that is in the same room, has never dropped signal. There are many poor reviews stating the inconsistency of these HS105 plugs. I've given up on exchanging with TP-link because their support is frustrating and I've paid more in return postage than the cost of buying new plugs from another brand.
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2009
1338 posts
1205 upvotes
Calgary
Lush78 wrote: I use a smart plug with a relay to operate my gas fireplace... Hey google turn on fireplace
My fireplace switch doesn't have a neutral wire, but a switch with low-voltage wiring. Which relay product are you using?
no sig
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2015
5779 posts
6722 upvotes
Alberta
ben35 wrote: My fireplace switch doesn't have a neutral wire, but a switch with low-voltage wiring. Which relay product are you using?
You can purchase a relay like i've linked below. Hopefully you have a receptacle under your fireplace for your fan. Then use a smart plug with that receptacle. Cut off a cord and wire the black and white wires on the "coil" on the relay, doesn't matter which order. Then run 2 wires to your gas valve and hook them up to the same two terminals that your wall switch is currently connected to. Wire the two wires to the NO "normally open" contacts on the relay. So it works like this... When you turn on your smart plug (in my case i say "hey google turn on fireplace", it will energize the coil of the relay and close the contacts for the gas valve and give you fire.

Let me know if you have any other questions... This mod works great... Here is the link for the relay

https://www.amazon.ca/Baomain-MY2NJ-Gen ... 019R87FH6/
Last edited by Lush78 on Dec 18th, 2018 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3859 posts
2814 upvotes
I've had three of these TP-Link HS105s for more than a year, along with a couple of other WiFi plugs of different brands. The TP-Link plugs are definitely the best. They have broader support, the app is better, and everything works a little more smoothly. They use a relay rated for 15 amps, so they shouldn't have a problem with anything you can plug into them. They fit a standard double socket without blocking the other plug. I bought all 3 of mine for $15-$18 each, but they're a definite buy at anything under $20, even when there are other cheap brands for half that price.

They work for me in every part of my house, whether near the router or distant. But there's no doubt that they are not 100% reliable. I've seen the occasional rare one-time failure to operate, but didn't bother to investigate whether it was a momentary loss of WiFi connection or something to do with the online service. I do notice that the blue light on them flickers once in a while, probably indicating that they are reconnecting to WiFi. I would guess that like most WiFi devices they lose connection once in a while, even if it's just from the router hopping between channels to avoid interference.

When they are programmed with a schedule, it's internal and doesn't need a WiFi connection to operate. When you are operating them interactively by app or voice comment, a one-time failure wouldn't matter because you'd just repeat the command. Where it matters is when you are using external routines running on a local hub like Wink/SmartThings or a remote service like IFTTT/Stringify. In that case you aren't there to notice the failure, and it could be something important.
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2002
3543 posts
2128 upvotes
headygouda wrote: I would not touch these. I bought 2 last year and have been through 4 different ones replaced by TP-Link. They always lose connectivity even when they are in the same room as the wifi. The strange thing is that the TP-link HS200 smart switch that is in the same room, has never dropped signal. There are many poor reviews stating the inconsistency of these HS105 plugs. I've given up on exchanging with TP-link because their support is frustrating and I've paid more in return postage than the cost of buying new plugs from another brand.
I just bought two. They are replacing Zigbee Peanut power plugs that would always eventually lose connection to the Almond Router and would never reconnect. Then when reset I would have to re-add them and all my scenes would have to be edited to work again as newly added Peanut plugs. I really hope my second try at home automation with TP-Link and Wifi turn out better and reliable.
RFD Admins All Drive Teslas. You should Too!
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3859 posts
2814 upvotes
ben35 wrote: My fireplace switch doesn't have a neutral wire, but a switch with low-voltage wiring. Which relay product are you using?
You can certainly use a 110v relay like @Lush78 suggests, or one of the Sonoff low-voltage WiFi switches that are really cheap: https://www.itead.cc/sonoff-sv.html (also needs a 5-24v DC power supply).
Mar 26, 2015
272 posts
787 upvotes
Montreal, QC
headygouda wrote: I would not touch these. I bought 2 last year and have been through 4 different ones replaced by TP-Link. They always lose connectivity even when they are in the same room as the wifi. The strange thing is that the TP-link HS200 smart switch that is in the same room, has never dropped signal. There are many poor reviews stating the inconsistency of these HS105 plugs. I've given up on exchanging with TP-link because their support is frustrating and I've paid more in return postage than the cost of buying new plugs from another brand.
I have 5 TP-Link smart plugs (2 of them are the older HS100) and have had no problems with them. I have been using them for 2+ years. Your defect rate seems to suggest it could be your router that is problematic. Are you using the wireless router provided by your ISP? Or what wireless router model are you using? How many devices are connected to your wireless network? Just to give you an idea, I have over 20 wireless devices connected to the network, and surrounded by well over 15+ wireless networks from neighbours.
Oct 21, 2010
346 posts
287 upvotes
Montreal
Exp315 wrote: When they are programmed with a schedule, it's internal and doesn't need a WiFi connection to operate.
Thanks for this info.
I was looking for this exact info!
Mar 26, 2015
272 posts
787 upvotes
Montreal, QC
fsilva wrote: Does anyone know if these can be made homiket compatible with a bridge or something
They are not HomeKit compatible. The Belkin Wemo smart plugs recently received a firmware upgrade making them HomeKit compatible. I'm hoping TP-Link will do the same in order to compete.
Deal Addict
Feb 2, 2010
1442 posts
1406 upvotes
Exp315 wrote: I've had three of these TP-Link HS105s for more than a year, along with a couple of other WiFi plugs of different brands. The TP-Link plugs are definitely the best. They have broader support, the app is better, and everything works a little more smoothly. They use a relay rated for 15 amps, so they shouldn't have a problem with anything you can plug into them. They fit a standard double socket without blocking the other plug. I bought all 3 of mine for $15-$18 each, but they're a definite buy at anything under $20, even when there are other cheap brands for half that price.
Agree with this. I have two of them and recently purchased a 2-pack of the CE Smart Home plugs from Costco. Apart from the fact that they use different apps (so I control both with Google Home) the difference in current handling is actually a pretty important factor in how I can use them. The TP-Link ones can be used to turn on a kettle or a space heater, whereas the CE Smart Home ones are pretty much limited to lights. Given the choice, I'd choose the TP-Link ones over the CE ones any day.
Beep\Bop\Boop
Banned
Jun 19, 2012
7 posts
22 upvotes
Mississauga
Gonad wrote: Lol not sure if serious but why not just order online and get it to your door.
I just called best buy customer service for PM. They did it quick and easy. It will be delivered in a week.
Dec 7, 2007
95 posts
22 upvotes
I am looking for energy monitoring feature. Looks like only a few have it. Does this one have?
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2006
4264 posts
5639 upvotes
Muskoka
I use one to reset my internet modem each morning at 3am. Schedule off at 3:00, schedule on at 3:01
Public Mobile
Nov 16, 2015
837 posts
1906 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Pupsik27 wrote: Omg, thanks Op. I rently changed my light switches and bought a few of these plugs. Love them. Gonna buy a few more!!

A little bit an off topic question, does anyone know if tp-link(preferred to operate in one app) or other manufacturers have a smart plug or similar device that would either indicate/warn of a temperature drop or work similarly to a thermostat. I need to be able to control a portable heater in a garage to prevent water freezing. Thank you.
you might be able to program something using stringify.

i'm using stringify to turn on lights in my house 1 hour before sunset
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2005
1325 posts
1288 upvotes
Gonad wrote: Lol not sure if serious but why not just order online and get it to your door.
A true RFD'er goes the extra mile.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2006
3421 posts
1356 upvotes
Recoil wrote: A true RFD'er goes the extra mile.
But with bestbuy you need to buy more and if you pick up in store you lose in the ebates