Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
24331 posts
4618 upvotes
wearysky wrote:
Jun 11th, 2019 4:20 pm
No. If you buy a 1 year xbox live card and apply it to your account (even without an xbox, you can claim it at redeem.microsoft.com), you can then upgrade that xbox live subscription to an Xbox Game Pass Ultimate for $1 (for most people, some are stuck paying $16.99), which will upgrade till the end of your xbox live subscription period. And the Xbox Game Pass Ultimate gives you Xbox Live, Xbox Game Pass, and PC Game Pass all in one. It will also add in any existing xbox game pass and PC game pass subscriptions in as well, and add them to the end of your subscription period.
To clarify, what additional features (if any) does XGPU offer over the regular PC Game Pass for someone that does NOT have an Xbone and only has a PC? Do benefits only come into play if one buys an Xbox later, or are there more things to be had on PC with the "Ultimate" pass subscription?

If there's nothing additional for PC and one does NOT intend on buying an Xbox later, it doesn't seem like it's that great of a deal for a PC-only user, right? In the calculation in the OP it says it works out to $4.57/month which is cheaper than $6/month but also requires $160 up front compared to paying it out over a few years and paying $205 ($1 + $6 x 34) for just the PC subscription over the same time period. I get that you're saving money and getting way more stuff for Xbox but just thinking of it from a standpoint of a PC user who never intends to get an Xbox.
Oct 23, 2013
25 posts
6 upvotes
Mississauga
The PC game pass contains more games to play. If you only have the regular (previous) game pass, you can only play “Play Anywhere” titles. This could be big if certain big games get released only for the PC game pass. This way your at least covered and have a larger game catelog.
Jul 15, 2003
587 posts
137 upvotes
GTA, Ontario
ES_Revenge wrote:
Jun 11th, 2019 7:26 pm
To clarify, what additional features (if any) does XGPU offer over the regular PC Game Pass for someone that does NOT have an Xbone and only has a PC? Do benefits only come into play if one buys an Xbox later, or are there more things to be had on PC with the "Ultimate" pass subscription?

If there's nothing additional for PC and one does NOT intend on buying an Xbox later, it doesn't seem like it's that great of a deal for a PC-only user, right? In the calculation in the OP it says it works out to $4.57/month which is cheaper than $6/month but also requires $160 up front compared to paying it out over a few years and paying $205 ($1 + $6 x 34) for just the PC subscription over the same time period. I get that you're saving money and getting way more stuff for Xbox but just thinking of it from a standpoint of a PC user who never intends to get an Xbox.
$6/month is just for the beta period. Once the beta period is over, it'll go back to normal price (whatever $10 USD is in CAD).

Otherwise, yes, you're right. Ultimate is really for people who have an Xbox.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
24331 posts
4618 upvotes
Dymis wrote:
Jun 11th, 2019 8:34 pm
$6/month is just for the beta period. Once the beta period is over, it'll go back to normal price (whatever $10 USD is in CAD).

Otherwise, yes, you're right. Ultimate is really for people who have an Xbox.
Hmm, that little tidbit makes it a lot more of a deal then because it will likely go up to the same $11.99 the Xbox version is (I think that's the price). Though I game so little now I still wonder if worth it. But for others, seems like a better idea than having their subscription double in price down the road.
Nov 29, 2007
703 posts
232 upvotes
Quebec, QC
ES_Revenge wrote:

More like (1$ + 12$ x 35) = 421$. 6$ is a beta price and i don't think they will be at that price very long
May 3, 2016
269 posts
170 upvotes
If the length is maxed out (36 month) and the Game Pass Ultimate bought - can you still add codes after it ? i.e. extra purchased codes (I know there is conversion)
Last edited by saad29 on Jun 11th, 2019 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2009
2647 posts
259 upvotes
PC price going to $11/mo within 6 months for sure. Awesome deal thanks.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
16281 posts
6266 upvotes
Oakville
saad29 wrote:
Jun 11th, 2019 8:45 pm
If the length is maxed out (36 month) and the Game Pass Ultimate bought - can you still add codes after it ? i.e. extra purchased codes (I know there is conversion)
Yes, you can - but that $60 12 month live pass from Costco will only get you 4 months of ultimate, which works out at $15 a month. Not much of a deal.
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
May 3, 2016
269 posts
170 upvotes
wearysky wrote:
Jun 11th, 2019 9:00 pm
Yes, you can - but that $60 12 month live pass from Costco will only get you 4 months of ultimate, which works out at $15 a month. Not much of a deal.
Meant to say already purchased ones.

But I guess selling them would be wiser?
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2012
1203 posts
598 upvotes
Calgary
Finally got around to setting this up on my account... Had Gold in place until July 2020 already, added 1 month for $1 of the PC Beta, added 12 months of Gold from Costco.ca, 1 month for recurring billing, 1 month of XBL Ultimate upgrade for $1 and then I found a 30 day console game pass voucher in my cupboard (which I also turned on the recurring billing for another additional extra month). Brings my membership to end of December 2021.

Major thanks to OP and others in the thread for the step by step instructions. Going to cancel my Gears 5 preorder now... This ended up costing me basically the same as just that one game would have anyway.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
16281 posts
6266 upvotes
Oakville
saad29 wrote:
Jun 11th, 2019 9:04 pm
Meant to say already purchased ones.

But I guess selling them would be wiser?
Oh yeah, and I meant to add - you can't use existing codes until some time has passed - so like, if you want to use that 12 month pass you have to wait four months, because you can still only go up to 36 months in the future. They don't expire, but imo it's better value to just sell em now. Online purchased ones, at least, can simply be returned too. I think maybe in store bought ones too but not 100% sure on that (I've personally returned online ones though)
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
May 3, 2016
269 posts
170 upvotes
wearysky wrote:
Jun 11th, 2019 9:15 pm
Oh yeah, and I meant to add - you can't use existing codes until some time has passed - so like, if you want to use that 12 month pass you have to wait four months, because you can still only go up to 36 months in the future. They don't expire, but imo it's better value to just sell em now. Online purchased ones, at least, can simply be returned too. I think maybe in store bought ones too but not 100% sure on that (I've personally returned online ones though)
Sounds good- Thanks
Deal Addict
May 6, 2012
3222 posts
854 upvotes
Yeah debating if $5 a month is really worth it for someone who won't use Gold on Xbox and mostly plays on PC.... Especially when Microsoft has game pass for $1 promos constantly so I can just catch up on Game Pass releases every few months when they do the promos.

They have added a lot of great games but if you're primarily a patient PC gamer I don't think it's worth keeping up your subscription indefinitely.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
4000 posts
2346 upvotes
ES_Revenge wrote:

PC Game Pass is $10 a month so this is a much better deal.

The $5 price is beta price and only for a limited time.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/6/9/18658 ... ng-e3-2019
Apr 8, 2005
900 posts
597 upvotes
I've got a 12mo gold code I can sell for $56 if anyone wants; just drop me a PM. With the bonus month for turning on recurring subscriptions it works out to $4.31/mo

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (2 members and 1 guest)

St1fl3rR, Stigma21