• Apr 9th, 2020 8:11 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
May 24, 2007
1011 posts
529 upvotes
London, ON
GenX wrote: 1) Is there a way to setup a password or option for him to only offline?
I suspect you would create an account for yourself, then use family/parent settings to restrict what your son's account has access to. But I've never used parental controls, so I'm not entirely sure how that whole process goes.

https://beta.support.xbox.com/help/fami ... ety/browse
2) If I choose 3 months of Game Pass for PC at 1.00, I then pay a fee to convert to Ultimate game pass for 3 months. Ultimate will allow me to play game multiplayer game online or download titles to play offline
Digital-download games (such as Game Pass games) can be shared between various accounts on a "Home" Xbox. Setting a Home console also allows games to be played without an active internet connection.

https://beta.support.xbox.com/help/hard ... -home-xbox

If by "offline", you mean no online multi-player (or other online functions), then I suspect that might be restricted with parental controls. (Unless you disable the internet connection every time your son wants to use the Xbox.) Game Pass Ultimate includes Xbox Live Gold, which is what allows online multi-player capability.
3) Is there a good choice of games for kids.. ie sonic, lego etc
Many games will have an ESRB rating, which helps describe the type of content in a game, and its recommended maturity level.

https://www.esrb.org
https://www.esrb.org/ratings-guide

On the Game Pass games list, you can first filter by "Console games" up top, to only show Xbox One games. Then along the side should be another filter for "Maturity Rating", where you'll probably want games rated "Everyone", and maybe "Everyone 10+".

https://www.xbox.com/en-CA/xbox-game-pass/games

I'm not real sure about specific recommendations. I feel like Minecraft is the obvious one to point out. I don't know much about it, or how much it depends on online functions.

Untitled Goose Game might be good for a video game beginner to get a handle on basic controls. Though it might get a bit challenging, even getting past the first area.

Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie are games in the vein of Super Mario 64. (They're re-releases of Nintendo 64 games from 1998-2000.) Those games were probably a beginning point for a lot of people, as far as exploration games in 3D worlds. But given they're 20+ years old, they might feel a bit dated. Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts is more like 11 years old, and includes building vehicles out of different parts, which could be fun in a Lego way.

Or there are a few straight-up Lego games. LEGO Star Wars III is based on The Clone Wars TV series. There's also The LEGO NINJAGO Movie Video Game. LEGO Worlds seemingly has some open-world building to it, though like Minecraft, I don't know how much it depends on online.

Super Lucky's Tale is probably good for a kid, but maybe not a great game in general.
Deal Addict
May 24, 2007
1011 posts
529 upvotes
London, ON
Cinetiste's post mentioned Games with Gold. The games cycle in and out on the 1st and 16th of each month. If you claim them, they're yours to keep and play for as long as your Xbox Live Gold (or Game Pass Ultimate) subscription is active. (Older Xbox or Xbox 360 games are yours to keep indefinitely.) Here are the current games available for that:

https://www.xbox.com/en-CA/live/gold#gameswithgold

There is a Batman game available to claim until mid-Feb. However, it's a story-based game with an M rating (Mature - 17+): "Blood and Gore, Suggestive Themes, Strong Language, Simulated Gambling, Intense Violence, Drug Reference" It'd kind of be like a young X-Men fan seeing the R-rated Logan. (The movie probably being more graphic with its violence, granted.)
Sep 4, 2015
150 posts
36 upvotes
Toronto
Just to make sure I'm up to date:
So best way to take advantage of this right now is buy the yearly Xbox Live Gold from Costco and then once you have redeemed those, you use the 1 month ultimate for $1 offer, correct?

And what part does the gamepass for PC have in this?
Deal Addict
May 24, 2007
1011 posts
529 upvotes
London, ON
MrScarface wrote: Just to make sure I'm up to date:
So best way to take advantage of this right now is buy the yearly Xbox Live Gold from Costco and then once you have redeemed those, you use the 1 month ultimate for $1 offer, correct?

And what part does the gamepass for PC have in this?
I don't know if it's currently the best way. It is still $60 for 12-month XBL Gold cards, for paid Costco members. Regular price is $70.

https://www.costco.ca/CatalogSearch?key ... +live+gold

When you become a Game Pass Ultimate subscriber, it converts all combined remaining time of:
  • Xbox Live Gold
  • Game Pass for console (Xbox One)
  • Game Pass for PC

Game Pass for PC usually has a new subscriber promo. In the context of this process: It's a way to end up with cheap extra time of Game Pass Ultimate. The current promo is 3 months for $1.

https://www.xbox.com/en-CA/xbox-game-pass/#join
Oct 23, 2011
368 posts
501 upvotes
Kirkland, QC
This weekend I tried purchasing Xbox Live Gold 12 month subscription for 59.99 but my order got auto-cancelled.

Does this mean that they are out of stock or do they no longer sell Xbox Live Gold subscriptions?
Oct 25, 2013
181 posts
675 upvotes
London, ON
spookstaz wrote: This weekend I tried purchasing Xbox Live Gold 12 month subscription for 59.99 but my order got auto-cancelled.

Does this mean that they are out of stock or do they no longer sell Xbox Live Gold subscriptions?
No, Costco.ca has a stupid system that cancels you order for no reason. For example, your address needs to match the address on your profile exactly. You’d better use a MasterCard instead of a Visa and lots of other reasons. I will recommend you to purchase it in store.
Oct 17, 2003
375 posts
28 upvotes
Etobicoke
spookstaz wrote: This weekend I tried purchasing Xbox Live Gold 12 month subscription for 59.99 but my order got auto-cancelled.

I took the plug and bought 2 * 12 month, followed the process from thread and end up with 28 months for $122 ($4.36/month).

I had the issue with costco website where it cancelled the order, I resubmitted with updated billing info and it worked.
Mar 7, 2011
1 posts
Toronto
Just followed the host's instructions, got 35 months. Still works! Many many thanks!!!
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2014
2649 posts
857 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Does it still work if I already have ultimate?
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
16937 posts
6706 upvotes
Oakville
boldventure wrote: Does it still work if I already have ultimate?
You have to wait for your ultimate to expire, then you can go back and do it again.
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
Apr 8, 2006
143 posts
39 upvotes
Has anyone run into this?

On Microsoft.com/redeem page, it says "It will be added to *my email address* (united states)."

This is a problem because when I put in the code and get to address info, I can only choose States. Country select is greyed out.

My Xbox profile is correct with my Canadian address, and my pc and mobile get the same result, using various browsers, wifi or not.

I haven't tried on my console yet, but want to understand why this is occurring.
Nov 10, 2016
50 posts
59 upvotes
Montreal, Qc.
wearysky wrote: You have to wait for your ultimate to expire, then you can go back and do it again.
Wait, so you are saying that my soon to expire ultimate pass, I should let it expire then stock on gold and then I could have the promotion of 1 dollar and convert it? I was thinking about getting a new account but if this can be done in my account then its sweet.
Jul 13, 2013
742 posts
468 upvotes
capogalo wrote: Wait, so you are saying that my soon to expire ultimate pass, I should let it expire then stock on gold and then I could have the promotion of 1 dollar and convert it? I was thinking about getting a new account but if this can be done in my account then its sweet.
Yes, if you let your Ultimate expire it will still work on the existing account. I had a one month trial of ultimate and did it after it lapsed.