Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Microsoft Store

Upgrade XBox Live Gold to Gamepass Ultimate at 1:1

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 18th, 2023 3:13 am
Tags:
None
Nov 27, 2013
165 posts
194 upvotes
Winnipeg
b31770 wrote: A few days into using xcloud, I think the best feature is how much money this has saved me! There's so many games I wanted to buy on steam but finally got to try on Game Pass. Realized I didn't like 90% of them after trying them out for an hour or two but found a few gems that I'll probably support the developers by purchasing the DLC.

Again, this is all played through the Nvidia Shield with the Shield controller. I don't have a gaming PC or any console whatsoever. GeForce Now is a complete bust as it doesn't even support 90% of the steam games I tried on Game Pass. And I couldn't even get 95% of the games in my library to run even when it's supported.

And don't even get me started on the, it just works, factor. Forza and every other fast paced game is stunning and has zero perceptible lag or latency. After my 3 years is up, I'm sold and would be willing to pay $15/mth for the sheer amount of quality games. That's tantamount to essentially purchasing 3 console games a year!
Do you mind elaborating on what you are doing here exactly? Are you using this Gamepass Ultimate, with something called xcloud, in conjunction with your own console or PC, to play games on a Shield? I would love to play games on my shield, without geforce now, but Im not really sure how.

With Gamepass Ultimate, I can somehow access those games on the Shield? Do I need a PC or console to run the game?
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21330 posts
10938 upvotes
Oakville
23LeBronJames wrote: So as someone that has an active GPU (until end of Jan, 2021), if I go through the customer support and cancel my GPU sub, can I then follow the process in the OP of this thread to get the 1:1 conversion for the max length?
Yes. You'll just have to pay $16.99 for the single month of Ultimate instead of $1.
RiftOfChaos wrote: Does this still work?
Read the thread summary.
Nov 27, 2013
165 posts
194 upvotes
Winnipeg
The thread summary says you can do this to a max of 36 months, but also mentions buying 2 - 12 month passes and a 6 month pass. As someone with no microsoft subscriptions at this time, can I buy three - 12 month passes to max out?
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2015
1165 posts
690 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Splashed wrote: The thread summary says you can do this to a max of 36 months, but also mentions buying 2 - 12 month passes and a 6 month pass. As someone with no microsoft subscriptions at this time, can I buy three - 12 month passes to max out?
Read the thread summary. You have to be very careful you don’t mess up with 3 12-month passes. Using 2 12-month and 1 6-month gets you almost there anyway.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21330 posts
10938 upvotes
Oakville
Splashed wrote: The thread summary says you can do this to a max of 36 months, but also mentions buying 2 - 12 month passes and a 6 month pass. As someone with no microsoft subscriptions at this time, can I buy three - 12 month passes to max out?
The reason the summary says to do it that way is it's the most economical - you get 35 months of ultimate (assuming all bonus months get applied) for $160 as opposed to 36 months for $181. But it's definitely a lot more work.

Three 12 month passes is definitely easier, BUT, a couple things to keep in mind:
- Costco limits you to buying two 12 month passes - some people have reported success buying two, waiting till they're delivered, and then ordering a third, but it may not work (in which case you'll be stuck paying $70 for the third one)
- DO NOT accept the free month for enabling auto-renew when applying the 12 month passes... Because then after applying the first two, you'll have 26 months stacked, and won't be able to apply your final 12 month card.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 24, 2011
5776 posts
3926 upvotes
Toronto and London
@wearysky I have read the summary, I'm just looking for someone to update the thread, stating it still works like I have seen recently.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21330 posts
10938 upvotes
Oakville
RiftOfChaos wrote: @wearysky I have read the summary, I'm just looking for someone to update the thread, stating it still works like I have seen recently.
From the thread summary:
Q: Related to the previous question: HAS this expired? Does it still work?
A: If it's no longer working, this thread summary will absolutely be updated, and the thread will be moved to expired deals. But if you're really concerned because somebody hasn't posted in the last 15 minutes that it's still working, or whatever, you can feel free to read Microsoft's Game Pass Ultimate Faq. The question "What happens to my prepaid months of Xbox Live Gold and/or Xbox Game Pass when I sign up for Xbox Game Pass Ultimate?" should answer your question.
Gold hasn't gone away, the FAQ hasn't changed, you're good.
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2003
1436 posts
379 upvotes
Ottawa
Finally went through the hoops and got my 35months... looks I will have to buy a android device for xcloud... shield of tablet?
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21330 posts
10938 upvotes
Oakville
oceans_end wrote: Finally went through the hoops and got my 35months... looks I will have to buy a android device for xcloud... shield of tablet?
Depends if you want portability or not, I guess. But there's a killer deal on right now to grab a used Shield for $145+tax if you're an Amazon Prime user (20% off at checkout) - go to the product page and scroll down to the "new and used from $181.43" - pick the one being sold by Amazon Warehouse Deals and it'll take 20% off when you go to checkout. Warehouse Deals when they're listed as "very good" condition are usually just items that folks returned but wrecked the packaging so Amazon can't resell as new.
Nov 27, 2013
165 posts
194 upvotes
Winnipeg
I just tried to order 2x 12 Month cards and 1x 6 month card from Costco and they cancelled my order an hour later. Any suggestions or fixes?
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2005
2659 posts
398 upvotes
Toronto
I can't thank this thread enough! Perfect timing with my new Costco membership and soon new gaming PC.

I already used the $1/first month Game Pass Ultimate promo a while ago so I had to pay $16.99 this time for the migration. Now I'm good until Sept 2023.
Nov 27, 2013
165 posts
194 upvotes
Winnipeg
N_Raged wrote: I can't thank this thread enough! Perfect timing with my new Costco membership and soon new gaming PC.

I already used the $1/first month Game Pass Ultimate promo a while ago so I had to pay $16.99 this time for the migration. Now I'm good until Sept 2023.
Were you able to buy the Costco passes today?
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21330 posts
10938 upvotes
Oakville
Splashed wrote: I just tried to order 2x 12 Month cards and 1x 6 month card from Costco and they cancelled my order an hour later. Any suggestions or fixes?
Some people have mentioned in the thread that Costco is now cancelling orders if you order more than 2 of *any* length of xbox live (not just more than 2 of the 12 month cards). That's probably what happened to you too, but the only way to know for sure is to call Costco and ask. Actually, I might update the thread summary to mention that you should do it in two separate transactions just to be safe.
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2003
1436 posts
379 upvotes
Ottawa
It seems like the games are similar on xcloud vs game pass? Is EA pass games going to be available through xcloud too? What is the point of someone downloading games through game pass, when they can play on xcloud with an android device.
Nov 27, 2013
165 posts
194 upvotes
Winnipeg
wearysky wrote: Some people have mentioned in the thread that Costco is now cancelling orders if you order more than 2 of *any* length of xbox live (not just more than 2 of the 12 month cards). That's probably what happened to you too, but the only way to know for sure is to call Costco and ask. Actually, I might update the thread summary to mention that you should do it in two separate transactions just to be safe.
I tried to reorder, including only the 2 x 12 month cards. That transaction also got cancelled. I guess Ill look up other ways to buy these passes online.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21330 posts
10938 upvotes
Oakville
Splashed wrote: I tried to reorder, including only the 2 x 12 month cards. That transaction also got cancelled. I guess Ill look up other ways to buy these passes online.
Well, the last person that had their order cancelled that way was informed by Costco that they would be blocked from re-ordering for a week. Wouldn't be surprised if that happened to you.

The alternative is to pay the extra $10 for full retail price, or deal with the hassle of buying Brazilian VPN codes.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21330 posts
10938 upvotes
Oakville
oceans_end wrote: It seems like the games are similar on xcloud vs game pass? Is EA pass games going to be available through xcloud too? What is the point of someone downloading games through game pass, when they can play on xcloud with an android device.
I don't believe there's 100% overlap between gamepass and xcloud, but I might be wrong on that. As far as "why download when you can just play on android" - you're still going to get better performance on PC/XBox than you will via xcloud, not to mention the obvious "not all people have an android device connected to their TV" and "playing when you don't have an internet connection" reasons, as well.
Nov 27, 2013
165 posts
194 upvotes
Winnipeg
One last question, I dont currently own an xbox, but have an X Series on order. Gamepass Ultimate will work just fine on that too.....right? Sorry for a stupid question.
Deal Addict
Mar 1, 2012
2484 posts
3179 upvotes
Ottawa
All this is likely to change come November 10th, right? I'm holding out until the end of October before buying in.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)