Microsoft Xbox E3 2019 Briefing - Sunday, June 9 @ 1:00PM PST

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 23rd, 2019 11:30 am
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2007
2118 posts
102 upvotes
Toronto
Gamepass is definitely the highlight. Got 3 months a while back for the dollar deal, and now a one month extension for another buck, but with Origin having their own subscription service and probably Ubi jumping on the bandwagon today, it may well be this just turns into another store exclusivity thing. Ah well, time will tell.
Steam: Sir Boors
PSN: Sir_Boors

It's a great time to be a nerd.
Aug 20, 2009
7044 posts
1730 upvotes
Grimsby
I was really...whelmed? It was OK but just OK. Microsoft Flight Simulator returning is great. They didn't show anything for their 2 big hitters which was bizarre. Tales of Arise is ehh I don't know, I'm really burned out on the Tales games. They need to make some meaningful changes to the formula. Xbox Scarlett news was meh, no interesting details to note other than SSD and hardware accelerated raytracing, though I'm starting to doubt the latter. The Wasteland 3 trailer was all wrong and felt weird.

They really needed some big hitter AAA exclusives which is what people have been after them about. I guess they are saving those (if they exist) for next year when Sony will probably show up again.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
6782 posts
2940 upvotes
Toronto
BYan wrote:
Jun 10th, 2019 11:14 am
Gamepass is definitely the highlight. Got 3 months a while back for the dollar deal, and now a one month extension for another buck, but with Origin having their own subscription service and probably Ubi jumping on the bandwagon today, it may well be this just turns into another store exclusivity thing. Ah well, time will tell.
Same upgraded my existing 3 months to 4 months for a $1. The new Xbox app and game pass library on PC is already impressive considering it just launched. There are a handful games in there I've been wanting to play but never got around to buying like Sunset Overdrive, Ori and a few others. I'll definitely get my $1 worth between now and September. Depending what they add between now and then, I'm leaning towards dropping my Origin Access sub in favor of this.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
5139 posts
854 upvotes
calgary
ReeGee wrote:
Jun 10th, 2019 1:34 pm
Same upgraded my existing 3 months to 4 months for a $1. The new Xbox app and game pass library on PC is already impressive considering it just launched. There are a handful games in there I've been wanting to play but never got around to buying like Sunset Overdrive, Ori and a few others. I'll definitely get my $1 worth between now and September. Depending what they add between now and then, I'm leaning towards dropping my Origin Access sub in favor of this.
So much good stuff on there right now and they add games quite regularly.

Just in the past 4 months I've played and beat Crackdown, Shadows of the Tomb Raider, Gardens Between, Marvel Vs. Capcom, Edith Finch, Prey, Tacoma and had the chance to try out a bunch of other stuff.

Currently bouncing between Void Bastards and Outer Worlds and both are great and they just added Metro Exodus (along with a GOAT metroidvania Hollow Knight).

IRRC most of those are available on the PC client.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
6782 posts
2940 upvotes
Toronto
SpicYMchaggis wrote:
Jun 10th, 2019 1:43 pm
So much good stuff on there right now and they add games quite regularly.

Just in the past 4 months I've played and beat Crackdown, Shadows of the Tomb Raider, Gardens Between, Marvel Vs. Capcom, Edith Finch, Prey, Tacoma and had the chance to try out a bunch of other stuff.

Currently bouncing between Void Bastards and Outer Worlds and both are great and they just added Metro Exodus (along with a GOAT metroidvania Hollow Knight).

IRRC most of those are available on the PC client.
Hope they add Shadow of The Tomb Raider for PC soon as well. ROTTR is there but not Shadow and I've been waiting to play that. Metro Exodus being in there already and playable for $1 is crazy. Anyone who had years of Live Gold stacked that they upgraded for $1 got an insane deal here
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2007
2118 posts
102 upvotes
Toronto
ReeGee wrote:
Jun 10th, 2019 2:20 pm
Hope they add Shadow of The Tomb Raider for PC soon as well.
It's not? Showed up on the windows store under gamepass for me (then it showed greyed out for installation, which I heard was down to doing manual updates or something). I love the idea of getting new/recent releases on subscriptions services. Really takes the bite out of trying games you're otherwise a little iffy about on release-date. And if they turn out to be keepers, there's always getting them later on down the line.

Honestly the subscribe/download market is probably the best place to jump in right now, since as with any businesses, they're going to be bending over backwards to please the customer until the rules set in and an alpha emerges. I honestly can't believe the amount of money I'm saving by going PC (and for MS, this step was long overdue). Now that there's real promise of merging the xbox/pc brands, it's bright times ahead.

Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
6782 posts
2940 upvotes
Toronto
BYan wrote:
Jun 10th, 2019 2:49 pm
It's not? Showed up on the windows store under gamepass for me (then it showed greyed out for installation, which I heard was down to doing manual updates or something). I love the idea of getting new/recent releases on subscriptions services. Really takes the bite out of trying games you're otherwise a little iffy about on release-date. And if they turn out to be keepers, there's always getting them later on down the line.

Honestly the subscribe/download market is probably the best place to jump in right now, since as with any businesses, they're going to be bending over backwards to please the customer until the rules set in and an alpha emerges. I honestly can't believe the amount of money I'm saving by going PC (and for MS, this step was long overdue). Now that there's real promise of merging the xbox/pc brands, it's bright times ahead.
What you're seeing in the Windows store is the Xbox console game pass library including Play Anywhere titles but you can't see the actual full PC library until you install the Windows May 2019 update and download the new Xbox PC Beta app. Most of the new additions require that update which started getting pushed worldwide in the past week or so and you'll get it eventually or you can go to the windows update assistant site and download the update tool to trigger it now which is what I did.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2007
2118 posts
102 upvotes
Toronto
ReeGee wrote:
Jun 10th, 2019 4:06 pm
What you're seeing in the Windows store is the Xbox console game pass library... etc
Ah! ty. I was out earlier so didn't really check. Apparently my windows was out of date despite me updating whenever it told me to. Doing that now, so let's see what's there to entice me to keep subbing after the next few months.

As expected, ubi is doing their own subscription service as well, for $15 a month which is pretty damn steep. This can either go nirvana or shitfest real quick if everybody starts hoarding their own games to peddle for monthly subscription fees, but still worth a laugh at the sheer absurdity of it.

Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
5139 posts
854 upvotes
calgary
BYan wrote:
Jun 10th, 2019 5:50 pm
Ah! ty. I was out earlier so didn't really check. Apparently my windows was out of date despite me updating whenever it told me to. Doing that now, so let's see what's there to entice me to keep subbing after the next few months.

As expected, ubi is doing their own subscription service as well, for $15 a month which is pretty damn steep. This can either go nirvana or shitfest real quick if everybody starts hoarding their own games to peddle for monthly subscription fees, but still worth a laugh at the sheer absurdity of it.
I think outside of Sony/Nintendo, Ubisoft is the only other company with a big enough catalog to get away with this.

Personally Ive found 90% of the stuff Ubisoft to be far to derivative and I've found myself skipping it almost entirely the last few years.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2007
2118 posts
102 upvotes
Toronto
SpicYMchaggis wrote:
Jun 10th, 2019 6:10 pm
I think outside of Sony/Nintendo, Ubisoft is the only other company with a big enough catalog to get away with this.

Personally Ive found 90% of the stuff Ubisoft to be far to derivative and I've found myself skipping it almost entirely the last few years.
Same. They have a lot of franchises that are good, but not great and must-have. I enjoy most of the AC series, Tom Clancy stuff, Watch Dogs-just glancing over uplay it seems like I have a lot of their games, but I can honestly say none of those were bought on day one. Mostly, I wait and forget and when they turn up in a sale somewhere down the line, I grab what I want. The only real gem they have, imo, is the new Prince of Persia which I thoroughly enjoyed, but they killed that off a decade ago.

What this is coming down to is exclusives from each publisher, MS, ubi and EA, with a lot of overlap 3rd party stuff that they can scrounge up, all competing for your $5-15 a month. Whether or not that's worth it is up to you.

Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
6782 posts
2940 upvotes
Toronto
I'd be interested in a Ubisoft sub but $15 a month is far too high, especially if it only includes their own games. Origin Access is $30 per year and includes a ton of third party and indie titles in addition to EA games. Compared to Xbox Gamepass and Origin Access that doesn't sound like competitive pricing at all unless there's something I'm overlooking here
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2007
2118 posts
102 upvotes
Toronto
ReeGee wrote:
Jun 11th, 2019 12:20 pm
I'd be interested in a Ubisoft sub but $15 a month is far too high, especially if it only includes their own games. Origin Access is $30 per year and includes a ton of third party and indie titles in addition to EA games. Compared to Xbox Gamepass and Origin Access that doesn't sound like competitive pricing at all unless there's something I'm overlooking here
I'm willing to bet $15 gets you early access and day 1 releases on their big stuff. They all seem to be doing that. A premium sub for new stuff, and a $5 regular pass for a collection of older/less recent titles/3rd party stuff. If you're REALLY into AC, you can conceivably pay $15 and get vikings day one, then bulldoze through it in a month and sample the rest. I really don't think the premium subs are meant to be bought month after month. Most people will probably be happy with regular, and upgrade a month here and there based on deals/releases.

If you don't really care about having a collection to keep and you like the games but only play through them once, it's a pretty good deal. Of course, if you like stuff from competing publishers, those subs can pile up fast.

Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
6782 posts
2940 upvotes
Toronto
BYan wrote:
Jun 12th, 2019 9:52 am
I'm willing to bet $15 gets you early access and day 1 releases on their big stuff.
It would probably have to at that price and maybe that's a good deal for people who jump on Ubi games on day 1 but I find that their games drop in price so fast on PC that I'd rather just wait to own them for cheap and be able to take my time playing through them. I love the new AC games but trying to power through any 60-80 hour game in 1 month isn't something I'd enjoy. Odyssey cost me $20 back in January a mere 3 months after release and I'm still playing it on and off now 5 months later. This is just one example but generally speaking I can't think of any Ubisoft franchises where paying $15 for a month of access would be appealing
Aug 4, 2003
597 posts
49 upvotes
Edmonton
Redmask wrote:
Jun 10th, 2019 11:30 am
I was really...whelmed? It was OK but just OK. Microsoft Flight Simulator returning is great. They didn't show anything for their 2 big hitters which was bizarre. Tales of Arise is ehh I don't know, I'm really burned out on the Tales games. They need to make some meaningful changes to the formula. Xbox Scarlett news was meh, no interesting details to note other than SSD and hardware accelerated raytracing, though I'm starting to doubt the latter. The Wasteland 3 trailer was all wrong and felt weird.

They really needed some big hitter AAA exclusives which is what people have been after them about. I guess they are saving those (if they exist) for next year when Sony will probably show up again.
Not surprising you would feel this way. One of the biggest Sony fanyboys.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2007
2118 posts
102 upvotes
Toronto
ReeGee wrote:
Jun 12th, 2019 2:22 pm
This is just one example but generally speaking I can't think of any Ubisoft franchises where paying $15 for a month of access would be appealing
Same. It's the same thing with Origin premium - and come to think of it, pretty much any other top tier sub. If I like the thing enough to get it day 1, then I'll probably buy it day 1 and keep it so I don't have to rush. If I don't, then the premium doesn't apply. I think premium subs are really more wishful thinking on the part of publishers, but the regular tier is nice for the stuff you don't mind waiting for and just play through once. Not to mention deal hunters can always wait for those big promos and stack subs.

I think only Nintendo can do a premium sub and be worth it since their games rarely come down in price at all, but it's the bandwagon and everyone's jumping on so better to be there in the beginning when they're all fighting for your business.