• Jan 12th, 2009 5:13 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jun 28, 2007
3726 posts
978 upvotes

Microwave fan won't turn off

This is kind of a weird problem. I have a one year old OTC Microwave oven by LG and it works perfectly fine in most respects. However, once in a while, the fan and light inside the oven spontaneously turns on - the microwave itself is not on - but the fan keeps spinning! I read the owners maual and sometimes this is supposed to happen if the inside of the oven becomes too warm after cooking something. But this seems to happen even when there has been nothing placed in the microwave.

I have a service tech coming over to look at it next week, but has this happened to anyone else - especially owners of an LG microwave? Do you know what might be wrong with it?
3 replies
Sep 11, 2003
800 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
Sounds like a problem with the thermal sensor that triggers the auto fan/light to prevent overheating.

If you're at all handy, it's probably a relatively simple fix to open the unit up and get to the sensor.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 28, 2007
3726 posts
978 upvotes
robbiex1 wrote:
Jan 12th, 2009 2:38 pm
Sounds like a problem with the thermal sensor that triggers the auto fan/light to prevent overheating.

If you're at all handy, it's probably a relatively simple fix to open the unit up and get to the sensor.
...thanks - is it relatively simple to replace this sensor? I am not going to be doing it, but want to make sure that when the service guy comes in that he does this and doesn't feed me some other BS.
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2007
1148 posts
73 upvotes
Brampton
Mine does this occasionally. It can be heat from the burners on the stove or from food cooking on the stove that activates the fan. It can be pretty annoying but I guess it's a safety feature.
× < >