Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2004
6544 posts
261 upvotes
Markham

Microwave fuse: Where to buy?

Anybody know where I can get a 20 amp microwave fuse? Preferably in the east end (Markham/Scarborough). Big box only sells the 15 amp.

Thanks.
This space for rent
8 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
5944 posts
947 upvotes
Mississauga
If it's a fuse as shown in the first picture then Home Depot, Lowes, Rona should have them.

If it's like the one below that The Source should have them.

If it's a thermal fuse then you'll need to go to an appliance store.

Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
5744 posts
539 upvotes
Why did the fuse blow? I don't think I've heard of that happening before for microwaves. (Yeah ok obviously it does if they sell spare fuses.)
Deal Addict
May 11, 2004
1165 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto
woof wrote:
Nov 4th, 2009 4:21 pm
Why did the fuse blow? I don't think I've heard of that happening before for microwaves. (Yeah ok obviously it does if they sell spare fuses.)
Maybe some tin-foil got left inside, also popcorn does funny things to microwaves as well. Make sure to get the 20amp fuse. $5 is a small price to pay to try and save your microwave. If it works, great, if not, at least you tried.
Dec 9, 2007
955 posts
31 upvotes
Blackjack wrote:
Nov 4th, 2009 6:45 pm
Maybe some tin-foil got left inside, also popcorn does funny things to microwaves as well. Make sure to get the 20amp fuse. $5 is a small price to pay to try and save your microwave. If it works, great, if not, at least you tried.
You need to buy fuse rated for the same amps as the original one, putting 20amp will defeat the purpose of having a fuse (unless microwave is actually requires a 20amp and most counter tops are not). And BTW CT also sells fuses and they are cheaper (~3$ vs 5 in TS).
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2004
6544 posts
261 upvotes
Markham
Maymybonneliveforever wrote:
Nov 4th, 2009 3:21 pm
If it's a fuse as shown in the first picture then Home Depot, Lowes, Rona should have them.
Tried all the big boxes, as stated, they only had 15amp ones. :(

BTW, I can't tell the difference between the first fuse picture and the second. :)
That's great. I'll check them out. The one store I didn't think would have it. :)
woof wrote:
Nov 4th, 2009 4:21 pm
pshch wrote:
Nov 4th, 2009 7:17 pm
You need to buy fuse rated for the same amps as the original one, putting 20amp will defeat the purpose of having a fuse (unless microwave is actually requires a 20amp and most counter tops are not). And BTW CT also sells fuses and they are cheaper (~3$ vs 5 in TS).
My home has a fuse box instead of a breaker box. Apparently, the previous owner put a 20amp fuse in, instead of a 15amp. The original fuse in the microwave was a 20amp (probably so to be a last line of defense). The 20amp fuse in the microwave must have been faster reacting than the one in the fuse box which is why it blew. As to why the microwave drew >20amps? Don't know. I changed the fuse box back to a 15amp. Will put in a 20amp fuse back in the microwave and if fuses keep blowing in the future, then we have a problem. Also, FYI, nothing else was running on the circuit (single outlet) at the same time the fuse blew.
This space for rent
Deal Addict
May 11, 2004
1165 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto
pshch wrote:
Nov 4th, 2009 7:17 pm
If the original fuse was 20amps, of course you replace it with 20amps.CT and the rest(Lowes too) have only 15amp fuses. I have a dead microwave at work that uses a 20amp fuse, maybe I should try The Source. I tried a 15amp fuse, it worked for awhile--then poof, blew the fuse.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2004
6544 posts
261 upvotes
Markham
Blackjack wrote:
Nov 5th, 2009 8:39 pm
If the original fuse was 20amps, of course you replace it with 20amps.CT and the rest(Lowes too) have only 15amp fuses. I have a dead microwave at work that uses a 20amp fuse, maybe I should try The Source. I tried a 15amp fuse, it worked for awhile--then poof, blew the fuse.
I also blew the 2 replacement 15A fuses I bought before finding the 20A fuses at TSCC last night.

There's a nice sticker inside my microwave that says "replace with ABC fuse" and a bunch of other equivalent fuses "that are 20A", however ABC fuses are 15A. ABE are 20A. So there's something not right there. Anyways, it goes on to say if fuses are blowing, check door switches (Google says the same thing). You might want to check yours as well. Just out of curiousity, are you the resident handyman at work? I fixed/adjusted two faucets at work because I figured it be easier, faster, and done more correctly than calling the building maintenance...and I work in a large corporation. :)

Anyways, back to the home microwave, I have 4 door switches and they all checked out with a multimeter and physical inspection (took them apart and checked that all was good). With nothing else to try, I disconnected the light bulb and put everything back together. We'll see how it goes in a week or two.
This space for rent
× < >