• Last Updated:
  • Sep 16th, 2017 1:13 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
7417 posts
389 upvotes

Mid Life crisis

Most friends thought my job in public sector is pretty decent and stable, and will stay till pension comes. However, there recently have lot of changes in terms of management and org structure which make the job a lot more stressful and I don't see it can last till retirement (I can see they will package within a year or so). The worst part is that my peers and myself now all have the feeling that we hate the jobs so much that we don't want to come back if there is any other option. To me, the other big minus from this job (before all these changes) is actually “too stable”, no opportunity to move up at all. So, even I don’t lose the job, I don’t want to do the same thing for the next two decades. In terms of family finance, we are lucky that should be ok with one income source. Thus, I got an option to explore other opportunity and decide what else I should and can do now. E.g. Find another job in a big banks or other big corp. Or if there is any other non traditional income generating avenues. I know it probably sounds crazy to quit a 9-5 “stable” job and go explore something totally unknown. Just want to express my feeling and hear what you guys think 
37 replies
Dec 24, 2007
716 posts
61 upvotes
GTA
same here...worse being that my industry is narrow and low money.
I'm taking a maternity leave soon and will not go back. I've decided to go to school afterwards and taking advantage of the co-op opportunities to get in big companies.
Sep 4, 2007
993 posts
388 upvotes
Edmonton
Find another job in the public sector. People don't leave jobs. They leave shitty bosses. The public sector employs millions of people in Canada. Just because your little niche of the public sector sucks doesn't mean you have to leave the entire sector entirely. It's like wanting to rage quit the entire USA after doing a stint in Detroit.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
7417 posts
389 upvotes
pandorazw wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 12:04 pm
same here...worse being that my industry is narrow and low money.
I'm taking a maternity leave soon and will not go back. I've decided to go to school afterwards and taking advantage of the co-op opportunities to get in big companies.
Go for you. I am not going back to school anymore, too old and too late for that ;) Also, in my profession, I don't see education can help me to advance. Several of my bosses even have lower qualification and less experience than me......
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
7417 posts
389 upvotes
frozenmelon wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 12:46 pm
Find another job in the public sector. People don't leave jobs. They leave shitty bosses. The public sector employs millions of people in Canada. Just because your little niche of the public sector sucks doesn't mean you have to leave the entire sector entirely. It's like wanting to rage quit the entire USA after doing a stint in Detroit.
You are right. It just takes time. I guess I should put more energy on job search, and I admit that I focused and spent most of my time to the family and kids.

I just feel kind of stuck right now , not seeing any light ahead but only stress. In the past, I let it go even there was no opportunity, but it was easier life at work. But now, it is challenging and stress every day to the point that I hate coming to the office and having nightmares frequently. That's why I am seriously thinking I should make a move now even in my mid life....... Anyway, I don't think it would be that easy to move to a non traditional office work for me, especially I have no source and don't know what to start with.....
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2013
4803 posts
902 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
I was the opposite of most people and despised the 9-5, asking someone for a paycheque- amount and work required to be done dictated by someone else- lifestyle. Stable, for the most part, but I felt like I was living in a box. There wasn't much excitement as I felt there wasn't going to be a dramatic change in life due to the office job expectation of slow, gradual advancement- and this dictated in the hands of the employer. The idea of someone else writing my life also was very unattractive.

Also if we don't like each other, we're stuck with each other until I find the next best thing. If self employed, I just won't see you again.
Last edited by FirstGear on Sep 12th, 2017 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
1143 posts
337 upvotes
New York City
To keep it simple. If you have ambition, leave. Such a waste to wake up every day to go to a job you don't look forward to.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
7417 posts
389 upvotes
McKinsey wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 3:08 pm
To keep it simple. If you have ambition, leave. Such a waste to wake up every day to go to a job you don't look forward to.
When the frustration gets up to the neck, I sometimes really want to just quit and wallk out of the door. However, second thought is that I would probably find another job first and then leave, or wait for them to package me (assuming they will eventually do that due to the expected re-org) instead of wasting the 10 years of service.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
1143 posts
337 upvotes
New York City
rdx wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 3:14 pm
When the frustration gets up to the neck, I sometimes really want to just quit and wallk out of the door. However, second thought is that I would probably find another job first and then leave, or wait for them to package me (assuming they will eventually do that due to the expected re-org) instead of wasting the 10 years of service.
I would definitely not just leave without having another offer on hand. That being said, I also keep my options open constantly (networking) so that if it was the other way around (e.g. laid off), then I would have something I can move onto the next day.

I used to work with the GoC, it was risky at the time (recession). My only regret is not leaving sooner.
Feb 5, 2007
241 posts
18 upvotes
Mississauga
Different boat but similar crisis. I didn't like what I was doing so I left. So here I am browsing the internet and trying to piece things together. Do it while you can or push yourself to learn something on the side!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 15, 2005
5108 posts
662 upvotes
rdx wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 11:49 am
Most friends thought my job in public sector is pretty decent and stable, and will stay till pension comes. However, there recently have lot of changes in terms of management and org structure which make the job a lot more stressful and I don't see it can last till retirement (I can see they will package within a year or so). The worst part is that my peers and myself now all have the feeling that we hate the jobs so much that we don't want to come back if there is any other option. To me, the other big minus from this job (before all these changes) is actually “too stable”, no opportunity to move up at all. So, even I don’t lose the job, I don’t want to do the same thing for the next two decades. In terms of family finance, we are lucky that should be ok with one income source. Thus, I got an option to explore other opportunity and decide what else I should and can do now. E.g. Find another job in a big banks or other big corp. Or if there is any other non traditional income generating avenues. I know it probably sounds crazy to quit a 9-5 “stable” job and go explore something totally unknown. Just want to express my feeling and hear what you guys think 
Sounds like the government is now making you do a bit more work and you don't like it.

If you think you will have a better time in the private sector you are very mistaken. They will work you to the bone for less money and benefits and discard you as soon as your performance slips a bit.
Oct 15, 2009
284 posts
114 upvotes
Ziggy007 wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 9:43 am
Sounds like the government is now making you do a bit more work and you don't like it.

If you think you will have a better time in the private sector you are very mistaken. They will work you to the bone for less money and benefits and discard you as soon as your performance slips a bit.
My thoughts exactly. I bet even if OP finds a private sector job they come back here in a year with another crisis.

Also, what you're talking about is by no means "crazy" if you're able to maintain your standard of living with one source of income anyway. What's crazy about it?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
7417 posts
389 upvotes
Ziggy007 wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 9:43 am

Don't get me wrong, I used to work in private sector for decades before working in public sector. I would say public sector in general would be more stable, the pay is ok, you can even say it is high if you compare it to small-mid sized companies in private sectors. Pension is in general better with defined benefits. However, no bonus or stock options which could be a lot for some private sector jobs. I am totally aware of the pros and cons. Also, like I said, another big drawback for my current situation/org is that there is absolutely no growth opportunity (unless you want to do the same role for the next 20 years). What makes thing even worst is that we are expecting a re-org soon, with a high chance of packaging staff. Thus, even we are ok to do the same job for the next 20 years, the situation might not allow. Anyway, if I am moving back to private sector, it has to be a very careful pick.

Note; The pay, benefits and work load vary a lot in different organizations of the public sector. For example, an AP clerk in my org would get roughly $4Xk per year which I think is the market rate for any decent size companies. However, I have heard OPG would pay $70k for an AP clerk as they have union.
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2013
1444 posts
466 upvotes
Ottawa
rdx wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 9:56 am
Don't get me wrong, I used to work in private sector for decades before working in public sector. I would say public sector in general would be more stable, the pay is ok, you can even say it is high if you compare it to small-mid sized companies in private sectors. Pension is in general better with defined benefits. However, no bonus or stock options which could be a lot for some private sector jobs. I am totally aware of the pros and cons. Also, like I said, another big drawback for my current situation/org is that there is absolutely no growth opportunity (unless you want to do the same role for the next 20 years). What makes thing even worst is that we are expecting a re-org soon, with a high chance of packaging staff. Thus, even we are ok to do the same job for the next 20 years, the situation might not allow. Anyway, if I am moving back to private sector, it has to be a very careful pick.
The divide is huge. I left the private sector last year and am now enjoying a second career in government. To compare the expectations and amount of work in both sectors is a false equivalency imo. I do my 38 hours a week with absolutely no stress and I work in an area where no one wants to be in because it's too stressful. Go figure??? The advice I would give you is to suck it up or move to another public sector job because you don't know how good you have it until it's gone.
"Doing my part to encourage civil discourse by not downvoting."
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
7417 posts
389 upvotes
sandav wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 10:16 am
The divide is huge. I left the private sector last year and am now enjoying a second career in government. To compare the expectations and amount of work in both sectors is a false equivalency imo. I do my 38 hours a week with absolutely no stress and I work in an area where no one wants to be in because it's too stressful. Go figure??? The advice I would give you is to suck it up or move to another public sector job because you don't know how good you have it until it's gone.
Yes, if compatible positions are available, I would definitely consider moving to another position in another public sector organization. However, there are too many people waiting to get into those good ones ;)