Personal Finance

The middle class and the 6 signs to know you're in it!

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 4th, 2010 6:27 pm
Tags:
None
Sep 11, 2008
602 posts
35 upvotes
Toronto
Family Vacation - No point working hard if you can't have fun with your love one.
Home Ownership - Need a place to call your own when you retired.
College education fund for the kids - No point having kids, if you let you kids start their life in debt because you want a luxury car or a few gucci bags, yes I can still teach them finacial responsibility and all that stuffs.
Retirement Security - Well if i have to spend all my $$ on family vacation and, home ownership, college fund, and because of that my saving for retirement is less, then i guess my kids will not get the house after we are gone, cause we going to sell it for the cost of living.
Health Care coverage - I am paying for it my whole life, am i not?
Automobile Ownership - corolla will still get you there.. eventually.
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2010
1375 posts
101 upvotes
xlfe wrote: Really??
I thought you were in the same as my class because of your other thread about nickel and diming the bank...

Guess i should always count the change too :lol:

Change? I never had any change in my pocket since 1 month minimum!

Actually, my parent are in the upper middle class and I benefit.... :lol:

...and I have too much time on my hand when I'm at my country house. So I put my time at work!
Banned
Feb 17, 2007
3190 posts
203 upvotes
My dad owns a small business employing around 10 people including himself.
His workers seem to be better off than him.

We live in a small house originally priced around 250k ten years ago. Dunno how much it is worth now. Number of household car is 3, but they are cheap cars under 30k brand new, and they were paid by me, my sister, and him. We have zero debt.

On the other hand with the help of credits, his workers own at least 2 houses in better area, and/or drive expensive cars over 60k.
You should see the good cars parked at his company. His car is parked in the one and only VIP slot, but is the cheapest one on the lot.
Deal Addict
May 28, 2009
1543 posts
529 upvotes
Ottawa
money might not be able to buy happiness (is a sayin but i find this extremely hard to beleive) but it sure can mask a lot of issues :-0
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2002
6833 posts
7575 upvotes
Toronto
MacBuster wrote: However...if you own your house (ie no mortgage), no one can ever take the roof over your head or your child's head.
I wouldn't recommend counting on that assumption...
Si Tacuisses, Philosophus Mansisses
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2003
8993 posts
1532 upvotes
Gdc wrote: Money don't buy happiness but no money mean normally no happiness! :confused:

This isn't so true my friend. In a survey which was released a few years ago, they found that third world country citizens had more happiness and less stress in their lives then people from developed nations.

I can see this being the case since here, we always strive to have more, while never being happy. There, all they have is one another (family, friends etc) and do not know the meaning of material things.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2003
8993 posts
1532 upvotes
MacBuster wrote: However...if you own your house (ie no mortgage), no one can ever take the roof over your head or your child's head.

You don't pay your property taxes, you'll see how fast that roof over your head disappears.
Sep 28, 2009
439 posts
4 upvotes
ovos
There is an error here ...... and that is mistaking $$$ with class. Although they may share a linear relationship, they are definitely not one and the same. You can have class without being 'rich', and you can sure be rich and have little class.
Acura TSX

Rotman School of Management
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2003
8993 posts
1532 upvotes
proust wrote: There is an error here ...... and that is mistaking $$$ with class. Although they may share a linear relationship, they are definitely not one and the same. You can have class without being 'rich', and you can sure be rich and have little class.

I think the topic of this thread is the classes based on earnings. Not actually if an individual has class or not, that's something totally different.
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2010
1375 posts
101 upvotes
r1lee wrote: they found that third world country citizens had more happiness and less stress in their lives then people from developed nations.
It's sure we're more stressed, we actually have to work to live and there's so much thing to think about. In third world country, they have to survive, that's it. :lol:
About happiness, I’m really skeptical. Maybe poor from developed country are less happy then poor from third world country. Middle… hmmmm, nah. Upper class? No way!
proust wrote: There is an error here ...... and that is mistaking $$$ with class. Although they may share a linear relationship, they are definitely not one and the same. You can have class without being 'rich', and you can sure be rich and have little class.
We're talking about lower class/poor, middle class/average and upper class/rich here. Not having class.
But actually, yes upper class have more class than middle class and middle class have more class than lower class.

When you meet a poor ass, they look like hobo and have no class.

:lol:
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2003
8993 posts
1532 upvotes
Gdc,
How old are you? Just curious...
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
3960 posts
146 upvotes
SC
Gdc wrote: We're talking about lower class/poor, middle class/average and upper class/rich here. Not having class.
But actually, yes upper class have more class than middle class and middle class have more class than lower class.

When you meet a poor ass, they look like hobo and have no class.

The way i see it, it's more of a socio-economic thing.
working class is by definition lower class. however it began to be possible to live like the upper class through working and saving up...

hobo have no class lol....
Sep 28, 2009
439 posts
4 upvotes
ovos
xlfe wrote: :lol:
The way i see it, it's more of a socio-economic thing.
working class is by definition lower class. however it began to be possible to live like the upper class through working and saving up...

hobo have no class lol....

'live like' the upper class(es) ...... but not belong to them :)
Acura TSX

Rotman School of Management

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)