• Mar 16th, 2017 6:29 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2004
4853 posts
1331 upvotes
Toronto

Middle-Earth : Shadow Of War Announced - August 22nd 2017

Thoughts? I enjoyed the first game but it did start to feel a bit tedious towards the end. Hoping this game will do more with environment and enemy variety which it could since it's no longer tied to Mordor.

16 Minute gameplay reveal from March 8th

Last edited by ReeGee on Feb 27th, 2017 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
23 replies
Temp. Banned
Aug 7, 2011
6623 posts
972 upvotes
Vaughan
I'm surprised the first game got as much love as it did.

It felt bland, and generic. Just another open world game.
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
2914 posts
542 upvotes
Toronto
ReeGee wrote:
Feb 27th, 2017 12:05 pm
Thoughts? I enjoyed the first game but it did start to feel a bit tedious towards the end. Hoping this game will do more with environment and enemy variety which it could since it's no longer tied to Mordor.
I agree, I liked the first game for a bit, but I'm starting to become jaded by open world games... Mordor got very tedious because of the lack of diversity in locales, and the lack of diverse and meaningful NPC interactions/quests... Even in the 2nd act, the change in scenery wasn't enough to prompt me to explore, and I really just blazed through to the end because I couldn't be bothered freeing more slaves or going after certain warlords or doing the random side tasks.

The Nemesis system was amazing though, and I had a few unscripted moments that really wowed me, due to the unpredictability of that system. I'll play this... maybe not day 1, and it would really depend on what we see from gameplay.
PSN: M̶1̶G̶O̶m̶i̶g̶s̶ | XBox Live: M1GO
Gamervets.com
Dorkshelf.com
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
5612 posts
483 upvotes
Toronto
When I played the first one, I spent the first 4 hours meticulously stealth killing everything like I do in dishonored. Then I realized the enemies all respawn and my heart sank.

I finished the game, but the action was just too mindless, there was no real depth or strategy.
I workout to get big so I can pickup bricks and ****.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2010
1093 posts
432 upvotes
Hamilton
Really enjoyed orc murder simulator. Hopefully the second one is better.
Spidey wrote:
Jan 7th, 2016 10:59 am
You're 26, and your mom still buys your toilet paper.
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
2914 posts
542 upvotes
Toronto
Dpack22 wrote:
Feb 27th, 2017 1:19 pm
Really enjoyed orc murder simulator. Hopefully the second one is better.
You've got the avatar to prove it too!
PSN: M̶1̶G̶O̶m̶i̶g̶s̶ | XBox Live: M1GO
Gamervets.com
Dorkshelf.com
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4631 posts
574 upvotes
I had a good time with this game, I mainlined the main quest and didnt bother with any of the side quests after the first hour or so and I really enjoyed killing orcs and the whole Nemesis system. I found the movement and Stealth mechanics even more enjoyable then the AC series.

It was a bit repetitive towards the end but they have a ton of good ideas to build off of.

Probably not a day one pick up but Ill be picking this up for sure.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
7795 posts
865 upvotes
Enjoyed the first, had a good time, didn't love it.

It did get repetitive. Once you got really leveled up though you were pretty much an unstoppable killing machine and I abandoned the stealth approach since I could easily take on like 30 orcs at a time and just chain-combo them all.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2004
4853 posts
1331 upvotes
Toronto
I agree that the Nemesis system was cool and I thought the combat system was extremely well done, it was just lacking in story and variety. The first game is a solid foundation to build a great sequel on so I'm looking forward to seeing how this develops.
Deal Addict
May 6, 2006
2035 posts
93 upvotes
Toronto
Pretty much agree with everyone here. Was a fun game (who doesn't like slaughtering Orcs!) that got a bit repetitive after a while. Also enough upgrades, you are pretty much terminator out there and makes the combat a bit too easy.

That being said, interested into seeing what changes/improvements they've done for the sequel. I don't have to get it Day 1 but I will definitely be picking it up eventually.
My XBL/PSN: evilenger
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2009
5693 posts
653 upvotes
Grimsby
The first game was good but overstayed its welcome. Also towards the end it got boring once the immunities went crazy. This was good as a one off and I want to see the nemesis system adapted in other games but not something I want to revisit personally.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2007
2000 posts
47 upvotes
Toronto
Nemesis system was amazing and should be widely used/copied for open world games - think about GTA with your own personal nemesis gang, or skyrim or fallout or anything really. But as a LotR fan the story was entirely nonsense, especially given you know it's absolutely NOT going to be resolved in any meaningful way. Pretty meh about the sequel, tbh, and the exceedingly generic title doesn't help things.

That said, enjoyed the first one, so will be looking into this as well.
Steam: Sir Boors
PSN: Sir_Boors

It's a great time to be a nerd.
May 9, 2007
672 posts
173 upvotes
squadz wrote:
Feb 27th, 2017 12:07 pm
I'm surprised the first game got as much love as it did.

It felt bland, and generic. Just another open world game.
Every comment you make in this forum is negative. Are there any games you actually do like?

That being said Shadows of Mordor got repetitive real quick. Couldn't finish it. We are definitely starting to get oversaturated and burnt out on open world games. Ubisoft I'm looking at you.
Temp. Banned
Aug 7, 2011
6623 posts
972 upvotes
Vaughan
Bryson wrote:
Feb 27th, 2017 7:54 pm
Every comment you make in this forum is negative. Are there any games you actually do like?

That being said Shadows of Mordor got repetitive real quick. Couldn't finish it. We are definitely starting to get oversaturated and burnt out on open world games. Ubisoft I'm looking at you.
You, uh, just agreed with me in your comment...
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel