Hot Deals

Miele 10-year Warranty Upgrade for Vacuums + $200 off Miele C1 Celebration ($299), C3 Comfort Parquet ($399)

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 8th, 2017 4:10 pm
Jun 17, 2013
297 posts
65 upvotes
ID01 wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 12:01 pm
C1 are made in China. Only C2 and C3 are made in Germany
I am not sure about this yellow C1, but the miele website says the Classic C1 Cat & Dog is Made in Germany
Nov 19, 2009
397 posts
82 upvotes
Windsor
ID01 wrote:
C1 are made in China. Only C2 and C3 are made in Germany
Not all C1 are made in China, but I believe this one, the Compact is while the C1 Classic is German.
ID01 wrote:
You will need the Powered Wand and the Powered tubing. None of the compact models has it. It has to be C2, or C3 I believe.

This model is not compatible with it
Yeah, and to be clear, not all C2/C3s come with the electric hose. I'm not sure if it's possible to buy the hose and wands for those that don't, but it sure is cost prohibitive to do so. IMO, if somebody wants an electric powerhead, they best buy one that comes with it. It's my only reservation against buying the C3 Parquet I linked earlier. I'm still hoping Amazon delivers the C3 cat/dog I ordered (for my parents) when they had that great deal a few months ago.
Aug 7, 2011
806 posts
608 upvotes
VANCOUVER
ID01 wrote:

I used to be strictly bagless, but it turns out Bagged is a LOT more convenient. When it is in a bag, dust is actually compacted much better, so space holds a lot more dirt than any Bagless vacuum. Also, you empty them around be four times less. Plus it seals the dust in completely. There is no hassle of any leaking. Also, bagless still have filters where you need to be cleaned, and they are much less reliable and efficient. Where a bagged vacuum the bag itself acts as a filter so you will not be blowing dust back into the house.

Miele resisted making a Bagless version for many years for all these versions, but they eventually relent when it is so easy to be marketed as a newer technology by the competitors. When the consumer buys it all up, they have to do something.

There are trade offs with bagless vs bag vacuums. It's more messy emptying the bin in a bagless machine so it might not be good for people with allergies. Also I heard bagless is supposed to be worse for fine particles like drywall dust.

But with bags, you constantly have to buy bags for the rest of your life. Miele bags aren't cheap at $5 each. Depending on how often you vacuum or how big your house is you will be paying like $5-10 a month just on bags. That adds up to the original cost of the machine after a few years! Also vacuums with bags loose power as the bag gets full. If you forget to empty the bag it's really hard on the motor.

Regarding the pre-filter on the dyson vacuums: the new Cinetic models don't have a pre-filters so you never have to clean anything. Just empty the bin when it gets full. FYI the refurbished Cinetic canister vacuum is currently on sale for $319:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Dyson-Official-O ... 284226db87
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2002
1259 posts
3 upvotes
If you have a lot of thick/high pile carpet then this vacuum may not be for you. However if you have hardwood/laminate flooring this vacuum is great. I have a few low pile area rugs and it's fine.

For what it's worth, I own both the made in Germany (11 year old S4212) and this made in China version.

The made in China one performs just as well as the Made in Germany version so don't be discouraged by the China vs. Germany argument. The motors themselves are still made in Germany.

Also I have pets that shed so we vacuum A LOT.

My S4212 started making an electrical smell (most likely due to arcing) and the motor started sounded loud on startup and shutdown. So I ended up buying the Compact C1 as a replacement which allowed me to tinker with the old one to see if I could repair it. I did manage to fix it by replacing the 2 bearings (spec: 608-2RS) and the vacuum works great now (suction is as good as the new one).
FS Items:
Apr 19, 2015
237 posts
98 upvotes
N/A
StealthFinder wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 9:57 am
Why bagged when bagless are so much more convenient? Am I missing something?
I use mine to kill spiders. If it was bagless, then I'd need to throw the entire vacuum away every time it got full.
Apr 19, 2015
237 posts
98 upvotes
N/A
I purchased my C1 compact Celebration from the Bay back in February, using a 15% off promotion + 5% Ebates. I love my vacuum. However, if I were to do it again, I would purchase the Compact C2 from Costco instead because it's a much better value at $389.99 and even cheaper in store. The C2 is made in Germany and comes with the parquet floor tool and turbo brush, which work much better than the universal floor tool that comes with the Celebration. The individual costs of the parquet tool and turbo brush exceed the price differential between the two models.

https://www.costco.ca/Miele-Compact-C2- ... 38973.html
Dec 27, 2011
221 posts
42 upvotes
CALGARY
merrygold wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 2:27 pm
I purchased my C1 compact Celebration from the Bay back in February, using a 15% off promotion + 5% Ebates. I love my vacuum. However, if I were to do it again, I would purchase the Compact C2 from Costco instead because it's a much better value at $389.99 and even cheaper in store. The C2 is made in Germany and comes with the parquet floor tool and turbo brush, which work much better than the universal floor tool that comes with the Celebration. The individual costs of the parquet tool and turbo brush exceed the price differential between the two models.

https://www.costco.ca/Miele-Compact-C2- ... 38973.html
How much is it in store?
Deal Addict
May 11, 2004
2885 posts
774 upvotes
Airdrie
JC69 wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 9:22 am
What's the cheapest model with the electrically powered brush, not the air powered one.
Look for the Cat & Dog models. It is technically possible to add a powerhead to other models but it's not worth it. Powerhead, tube, and hose that you need are aproximately $100 *each*.

C1 Classic & C2 Compact look to be about the same price at the moment. Watch for a sale. I paid $495 for my C1 after PM.
"Success is the happy feeling you get between the time you do something and the time you tell a woman what you did." -Dilbert
Apr 19, 2015
237 posts
98 upvotes
N/A
gyu138 wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 3:31 pm
How much is it in store?
Something like $10 saved on shipping.
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
1019 posts
279 upvotes
Vancouver
StealthFinder wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 9:57 am
Why bagged when bagless are so much more convenient? Am I missing something?
1) Generally, canister vacs are quieter and more versatile than uprights are. They offer better filtration, long lifespans, and ease of use. They handle bare floors best, and work with rugs and carpets, as well.
2) Upright vacuums are used mostly for homes that are entirely carpeted. Many have very powerful motors, great accessories, and are available in a couple of different motor styles. Nothing cleans shag carpeting like the right upright.
3) Bagless vacs are available in a few different styles. They rely on filters and a variety of aerodynamic methods to separate the dirt from the air. In general, these machines do not clean or filter as well as bagged vacuums. They suffer from a loss of suction, and tend to clog repeatedly, if the filters are not cleaned or replaced often.
4) Bagged vacuums use a disposable bag to collect debris, which acts as your primary filter, before the air reaches the motor, and is replaced when you fill it. Because this first filter is changed, regularly, bagged vacuums tend to provide stronger, more consistent suction.

https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/ ... th_a_very/

There's a reason you have to wash your dyson filter every month (my parents do not do this, for sure.) and there's a reason that miele offers a 10 year warranty on their vacuums. Mine has been great and suction and filtration on the c3 has been top notch.
Also, there's a reason my parents buy the handheld dyson from costco, because after 1 or 2 years, they don't work as well as they do. To be fair, dyson is innovating very well and they have very convenient products. Just if you don't want to buy a $400 vacuum every 2 years, get a miele. Even a $1k miele for 10 years is cheaper.
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2005
1176 posts
799 upvotes
Richmond
goozy1 wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 1:00 pm
There are trade offs with bagless vs bag vacuums. It's more messy emptying the bin in a bagless machine so it might not be good for people with allergies. Also I heard bagless is supposed to be worse for fine particles like drywall dust.

But with bags, you constantly have to buy bags for the rest of your life. Miele bags aren't cheap at $5 each. Depending on how often you vacuum or how big your house is you will be paying like $5-10 a month just on bags. That adds up to the original cost of the machine after a few years! Also vacuums with bags loose power as the bag gets full. If you forget to empty the bag it's really hard on the motor.

Regarding the pre-filter on the dyson vacuums: the new Cinetic models don't have a pre-filters so you never have to clean anything. Just empty the bin when it gets full. FYI the refurbished Cinetic canister vacuum is currently on sale for $319:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Dyson-Official-O ... 284226db87
All I can say is that there is a reason why there are so many refurbish Dyson for sale all year.

You almost never see a Miele refurbish.

As for the filter, it is indeed true that you have to buy the bag and filter. But the thing is, you are spending about $300 for a vacuum anyway, while $30 of bag easily last you a couple of years and provide much better suction, filtration. Once you have an objective comparison of both you will see that Bagged one are still by far better for the same price.
Deal Addict
May 11, 2004
2885 posts
774 upvotes
Airdrie
With a long haired dog and 2 cats, I was absolutely done with bagless. Having to empty a dirty dusty canister every time the vacuum is used - no thanks. I wanted a canister with a bag and Miele was pretty much the only choice. Changing a nice clean bag every 6 weeks? No problem.

I'm trying these bags from Amazon right now, about half the price of genuine Miele. Not 100% sure they'll provide the same filtration, but no complaints thus far.

And when I went to look for that link I found these Genuine Miele bags at $3.21 each.

(These are NOT for the Compact!)
"Success is the happy feeling you get between the time you do something and the time you tell a woman what you did." -Dilbert
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2009
2878 posts
2958 upvotes
Yes, I don't like bagless either. It is very inconvenient to empty during the winter although I can do it outside during the summer. If you do it indoor, some dust just come back to the air. If you have allergy, it is even worst if you are using bagless model.
jdewit wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 6:09 pm
With a long haired dog and 2 cats, I was absolutely done with bagless. Having to empty a dirty dusty canister every time the vacuum is used - no thanks. I wanted a canister with a bag and Miele was pretty much the only choice. Changing a nice clean bag every 6 weeks? No problem.

I'm trying these bags from Amazon right now, about half the price of genuine Miele. Not 100% sure they'll provide the same filtration, but no complaints thus far.

And when I went to look for that link I found these Genuine Miele bags at $3.21 each.

(These are NOT for the Compact!)
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2011
6386 posts
1477 upvotes
Oakville/Toronto
Is the C3 model here different than the C3 Cat & Dog? Just different accessories I'm guessing.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 23, 2005
19304 posts
123481 upvotes
GTA
Dysons are decent on the cordless side IMO, only because there is very little competition at the moment, especially with respect to the flagship/higher-end models. They sell themselves with the cordless convenience and power they have, great for quick cleans. But when it comes to cleaning carpets/deeper cleaning, their uprights and canisters tend to clog up with dust and cannot pick up deep-seated dirt as good as a Miele. They try to over-engineer things, claiming to have a vacuum that requires little to no maintenance, when in reality, the dust has to go somewhere, and that is either inside of the vacuum, clogging it, and shortening its life, or it is expelled outside of the vacuum and redeposited into the air in your home. There are numerous videos showing the measurement of the exhaust air quality in a Miele and a Dyson; the Miele measures completely clean, while the Dyson, not so much. Another telltale sign is look how much dust accumulates on both the inside the outside of a Dyson after it has been used, vs. how clean a Miele is after use. The dust is blowing all over the inside (and escapes outside) of the Dyson, whereas with the Miele (especially with the sealed C3 series), the vacuum is remarkably clean after use.

There are obviously additional ongoing costs with a bagged, but in essence what you are paying for is far better filtration that has a direct impact on the quality of the air you breathe.