• May 12th, 2021 2:44 pm
Tags:
Deal Fanatic
Sep 12, 2007
6145 posts
886 upvotes
Greely
Jeff146 wrote: Anything can be sealed
While true, I have no reason to doubt mine was indeed new.
Jul 10, 2005
380 posts
62 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Hmmm interesting. Mike said that his mattresses were new. Mogmatt, what exactly did Mike tell you?

To be honest, I don't think it's that hard to tell when a mattress is used. There are some pretty obvious defects in the mattresses in that video. It wouldn't take a mattress expert to detect them. So far, no one has found such defects in Mike's mattresses, or at least no one has posted about them here...

IMHO, I don't think Mike is "too good to be true." When you consider the margins that the retailers make, the fact that Mike seems to be getting the Sears' clearance stuff in bulk, and the fact that you're not getting a warranty...Mike's prices make sense.
Jul 7, 2005
530 posts
180 upvotes
calluses wrote: Hmmm interesting. Mike said that his mattresses were new. Mogmatt, what exactly did Mike tell you?

To be honest, I don't think it's that hard to tell when a mattress is used. There are some pretty obvious defects in the mattresses in that video. It wouldn't take a mattress expert to detect them. So far, no one has found such defects in Mike's mattresses, or at least no one has posted about them here...

IMHO, I don't think Mike is "too good to be true." When you consider the margins that the retailers make, the fact that Mike seems to be getting the Sears' clearance stuff in bulk, and the fact that you're not getting a warranty...Mike's prices make sense.
When I asked, he explained that the mattresses have never been used before, however the plastic seal on these mattresses will not be intact. Most of the mattresses he sells have been delivered to someone who rejects it at the door.
Jul 10, 2005
380 posts
62 upvotes
Toronto, ON
mogmatt wrote: When I asked, he explained that the mattresses have never been used before, however the plastic seal on these mattresses will not be intact. Most of the mattresses he sells have been delivered to someone who rejects it at the door.
Ah OK, that sounds reasonable. So pseudo-new but definitely not used, and Sears can't sell them as new because the seal is broken. I'd assume that's alright for most people, unless the mattress somehow got dirty during delivery (attempt). It's like open-box but not quite open. Caveat emptor applies here...I guess people should still inspect these mattresses carefully when Mike delivers them, and work out prior agreements with Mike in case defects are found upon delivery.
Jan 11, 2009
839 posts
876 upvotes
Toronto
+1 - Bought a queen from him 6 months ago - Mike and his brother came over themselves and delivered the mattress. it was brand new - saved a ton of cash.
Jul 7, 2005
530 posts
180 upvotes
When you say brand new, is it factory sealed with a sticker/tag outlining the manufacturing date? Or was it just visibly new?
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2004
2820 posts
1196 upvotes
mogmatt wrote: When I asked, he explained that the mattresses have never been used before, however the plastic seal on these mattresses will not be intact. Most of the mattresses he sells have been delivered to someone who rejects it at the door.
I am guessing that since he sells sears stock that his mattresses are the ones that get returned either at the door or more then likely returned within Sears' 365 day mattress return policy:
Mattresses
At Sears we recognize the importance of a good night's sleep. To help you accomplish this we recommend you take a minimum of 30 nights as an adjustment period for your body to get used to the comfort and support of your new sleep set. If after 30 nights and within 365 nights of your delivery you feel that your bed is not as comfortable as you expected, and if you purchased a new mattress pad or mattress protector from Sears at the same time. Let us know and we will be happy to arrange ONE selection exchange for you.
So some could be a few days used or not used at all and others could be up to 365 days old. Just my guess no proof.
Sep 15, 2003
448 posts
517 upvotes
Toronto
I ordered a ZedBed Latex S13 from Mike. Had to wait a couple weeks, but when it came the mattress was fully sealed and had that strong memory foam odour that brand new foam beds have. Mikes brother delivered to us through a crazy snowstorm.

I've recommended him to everyone I know.
Jul 10, 2005
380 posts
62 upvotes
Toronto, ON
iamdman wrote: So some could be a few days used or not used at all and others could be up to 365 days old. Just my guess no proof.
I guess it's technically possible, but unlikely...a lot of the mattresses sag a tiny bit after a few months, and it should be fairly obvious to the buyers after the first few nights. Mike's mattresses are probably those returned at the door.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2011
3055 posts
1665 upvotes
I bought a kingsdown christie from them early last year, mattress has been perfectly fine, was sealed and looked brand new
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2005
9870 posts
1914 upvotes
TO
Called Mike and he'll provide pricing when he's at his warehouse tomorrow - do you guys usually go there after making appnts and do transaction?

Also - anyone ever bought mattress from national mattress at meyerside and dixie or citymattresscloseout.ca (looks like liquidation store too) they charge $10 delivery...
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
9280 posts
3006 upvotes
London
Oh yeah, this guy is probably selling Sears 'comfort guarantee' mattresses. That's why his stock consists of models sold at Sears... Does he also sell Sears-o-pedics, with the 'sears' brand name blacked out?

If these were never used, they would end up at the Sears outlets.. that's how the Sears salvage system works.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2002
3584 posts
262 upvotes
Newfoundland (Former…
Does anyone have the kijiji ad? I'm looking for an OTR microwave.
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
11038 posts
1546 upvotes
Brampton
Jeff146 wrote: Does anyone have the kijiji ad? I'm looking for an OTR microwave.
I thought this is a mattress thread lol
The OFFICIAL Hardwood Flooring Thread
Voted RFD "Most Helpful Thread of 2012"
3584 posts
262 upvotes
Newfoundland (Former…
patrob wrote: I thought this is a mattress thread lol
Yes but they also sell other items, was just wondering if anyone has seen the ad in Kijiji.
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2006
1805 posts
256 upvotes
Toronto
trixR4kids wrote: for those that bought kingsdown, how much of a discount was it off the prices listed on sears?

http://www.sears.ca/catalog/double-king ... #guidedNav
I bought three mattresses for my family all King size;

I got 2 X Kingdown Sanctuary King size with Spring Box for $850 Reg. Price is $5199+tax
I got 1 X Kingsdown christie II King Size with Spring Box for $800 Reg Price is $3999+tax

Delivery Charge = $50 had to make two separate trips; and as I though there was one scratch little on other side not visible on front side probably why it was rejected by original customer; but I don't mind that and am a happy customer.
Jul 10, 2005
380 posts
62 upvotes
Toronto, ON
indca wrote: I got 2 X Kingdown Sanctuary King size with Spring Box for $850 Reg. Price is $5199+tax
I got 1 X Kingsdown christie II King Size with Spring Box for $800 Reg Price is $3999+tax

Delivery Charge = $50 had to make two separate trips; and as I though there was one scratch little on other side not visible on front side probably why it was rejected by original customer; but I don't mind that and am a happy customer.
I got a queen size Sanctuary for either $750 or $800. There weren't any problems with it. There was a tear in the plastic wrap that came with the mattress, but the mattress was new. Pretty awesome deal.
Nov 8, 2007
36 posts
6 upvotes
I know it was requested a few months ago, but anyone have his kijji link?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)