Tags:
None
[OP]
Feb 12, 2017
13 posts
2 upvotes

Mild burning smell from the vents. Please advise

Hi guys,

I just noticed that when the furnace is on I sometimes notice burning smell. Not sure what could be wrong. It's a new built townhome 2 year old. Changed filter recently. I am wondering what could be causing the burning smell . Note: I have not cleaned the ducts since I got the house...not sure if something in the duct is causing the smell due to heated air passing by.

Thanks
10 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2011
2706 posts
890 upvotes
I don't want to sound overly pedantic, but there are at least a half dozen different burning smells, each quite distinct from one another. Is it a fragrant wood burning smell? or that of paper? the smell of burning oil or gas? or the acrid smell of electrical or plastic burning?
"The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is."
Just a guy who dabbles in lots of stuff learning along the way. I do have opinions, and readily share them!
[OP]
Feb 12, 2017
13 posts
2 upvotes
fieldhousehandyman wrote:
Feb 9th, 2019 10:23 pm
I don't want to sound overly pedantic, but there are at least a half dozen different burning smells, each quite distinct from one another. Is it a fragrant wood burning smell? or that of paper? the smell of burning oil or gas? or the acrid smell of electrical or plastic burning?
It smells like electric or plastic burning
Oct 30, 2002
99 posts
6 upvotes
Richmond Hill
That's your fan motor failing.Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes
It's time to get a new one installed.

Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
9185 posts
8011 upvotes
Oakville
Zearus007 wrote:
Feb 9th, 2019 10:31 pm
It smells like electric or plastic burning
Call an HVAC technician if you don't feel comfortable inspecting it yourself. Craig at Four Seasons is highly recommended on RFD.
Dec 7, 2013
231 posts
155 upvotes
Also +1 on Craig at four seasons!!!
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2007
1106 posts
697 upvotes
lurker wrote:
Feb 10th, 2019 12:07 am
That's your fan motor failing.Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes
It's time to get a new one installed.

My thoughts too ... there isn't really anything else in the airflow that could create such a smell.

Any chance your using one if these highly restrictive allergen filters?
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2009
4970 posts
2768 upvotes
Sounds like maggots
Jun 13, 2009
941 posts
179 upvotes
Could be dust/dirt too but that's usually if you're turning heat on after a long time
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2007
1768 posts
510 upvotes
Kitchener
if its an electrical smell then its your blower motor for sure, its slowly ceasing up and will cease and then your furnace will stop working. Happened to me, although the burning smell was litterally only the last hour before it went kaput!
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
1425 posts
472 upvotes
London
Phrased properly, peelhic is suggesting:

The motor may be seizing, and then the furnace will cease to function.