None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 17, 2005
4166 posts
907 upvotes
Kitchener

Are milk bags recyclable?

In Waterloo Region takes plastic with markings of 1 - 6. And I've been recycling #4 bags.

Waterloo's publications only mention grocery and retail bags, are milk bags made of recyclable plastic too?
This space is intentionally left blank.
34 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2002
1422 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto
Peel Region told me they are.

They told me to wash them out and place it with the rest of the bags.
Deal Expert
Nov 19, 2005
15940 posts
616 upvotes
RedFlagDeals!
If it has the symbol on the bag, it is recyclable, else not.
PC IS MASTER RACE! ( ͡°( ͡° ͜ʖ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)ʖ ͡°) ͡°) VΛ 🆅🅰🅿🅴 🅽🅰🆃🅸🅾🅽 ┏( -_-)┛┗(-_-)┛┏(-_-)┓┗(-_- )┓ 𝑅𝑒𝓁𝑒𝓋𝒶𝓃𝓉 𝒾𝓈 𝒿𝓊𝓈𝓉 𝓇𝑒𝓁𝑒𝓋𝒶𝓃𝓉
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2005
3748 posts
945 upvotes
GTA
AzN_RiverdaleCI wrote:
Jan 27th, 2008 9:34 am
If it has the symbol on the bag, it is recyclable, else not.
I don't think this is true in all areas. I believe that York Region, for one, doesn't take plastic bags regardless of whether they are recyclable or not.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2006
3239 posts
339 upvotes
Kingston
Thunder:

Call your municipality and ask as each municipality has a different recycling program.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 19, 2004
8526 posts
1607 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
Thundercloud wrote:
Jan 25th, 2008 8:49 pm
In Waterloo Region takes plastic with markings of 1 - 6. And I've been recycling #4 bags.

Waterloo's publications only mention grocery and retail bags, are milk bags made of recyclable plastic too?
I am under the impression that they are collected in Waterloo region. They are recyclable but it does depend on the region and what they collect. If you do find out differently, please let me know. I occassionally put them in the recycling although I generally use them as garbage bags since they fit perfectly in the small garbage cans we use in the bathrooms.
Sep 4, 2007
143 posts
1 upvote
Solve the problem by purchasing your milk in returnable plastic jugs (e.g. from Mac's). :)
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2005
13432 posts
294 upvotes
Midland
supersnazz wrote:
Jan 31st, 2008 9:18 am
Solve the problem by purchasing your milk in returnable plastic jugs (e.g. from Mac's). :)
I really don't buy much milk, but perhaps you are not doing more for the environment by buying from Mac's Milk. If you have to drive to the convenience store to bring back your empty jug, it's using gas and contributing to pollution.
Things are not always so straight forward.
"Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." - US President, Calvin Coolidge
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2003
1529 posts
3 upvotes
Sorry to revive an old thread here, but I have a question about the Mac's milk container program that maybe someone knows the answer to.

I've been buying milk from Mac's in the 4L jugs for over a year because I didn't like throwing away the bags (my city did not recycle plastic bags then, not sure about now as there have been some other changes...)

Someone was telling me that they *have to* melt down the jugs and remake them every time they are purchased/returned versus rinsing them out and refilling them. Something about they can only use 'virgin plastic'

This same person told me that he thinks they are simply putting the jugs in the municipal recycling program and pocketing all the unclaimed deposit money.

Any thoughts on this?

BTW: I can (and usually do) walk to Mac's from my house, unless I'm already driving by anyway.
Nov 4, 2006
343 posts
You can't recycle plastic bags unfortunately. So no, they aren't recyclable.
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1218 upvotes
Sauga
Andrewm wrote:
Mar 11th, 2009 1:39 am
You can't recycle plastic bags unfortunately. So no, they aren't recyclable.
Huh? Why not?

http://www.peelregion.ca/scripts/waste/ ... query=milk says:
* Milk bag (rinsed)
* Place all recyclable plastic bags in one tied plastic bag. Place this item securely in your curbside recycling box or apartment recycling cart.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2006
3239 posts
339 upvotes
Kingston
pluto wrote:
Mar 9th, 2009 5:39 pm
Sorry to revive an old thread here, but I have a question about the Mac's milk container program that maybe someone knows the answer to.

I've been buying milk from Mac's in the 4L jugs for over a year because I didn't like throwing away the bags (my city did not recycle plastic bags then, not sure about now as there have been some other changes...)

Someone was telling me that they *have to* melt down the jugs and remake them every time they are purchased/returned versus rinsing them out and refilling them. Something about they can only use 'virgin plastic'

This same person told me that he thinks they are simply putting the jugs in the municipal recycling program and pocketing all the unclaimed deposit money.

Any thoughts on this?

BTW: I can (and usually do) walk to Mac's from my house, unless I'm already driving by anyway.
Everything that gets recycled is melted/broken/shredded down and remade due to possible contamination. The whole point to the recycling process is to reuse the items that have already been used instead of dumping them in a landfill and then using more natural resources. You are still reusing the jug, but you are starting from scratch.

Nobody knows the history of that milk container other than the end users. There could be ecol i or some kind of disease in the jug that a simple rinse out might not get rid of. Melting it down ensures that any contaminate is destroyed.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2003
6240 posts
91 upvotes
gordholio wrote:
Jan 31st, 2008 2:14 pm
If you have to drive to the convenience store to bring back your empty jug, it's using gas and contributing to pollution.
Things are not always so straight forward.
Same goes for washing a peanut butter jar for 5 minutes just to recycle it. It may waste more resources just doing that.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2007
3004 posts
177 upvotes
Toronto
mart242 wrote:
Mar 11th, 2009 1:34 pm
Same goes for washing a peanut butter jar for 5 minutes just to recycle it. It may waste more resources just doing that.
Perhaps, however it may waste more resources if you send it into a recycling plant to wash it. Rinsing out salad dressing bottles or bottled juice is easier than rinsing old crusty salad dressing or old dried up juice at the bottom.